OATMEAL SAGA continues

Since this has made for a helluva discussion topic I figured I would make good on my promise to go T-martha stewart on some oatmeal and make some damn protein oatmeal cookies! So now you all can use your ovens for something other than storage space for manly items such as dumbells and jugs of protein. Here goes: 1 cup vegetable shortening, 1 cup splenda, 1 cup advanced protien, 2 eggs(or substitute, 1 tspn vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups flour(whole wheat if you are a carbophobic) 1 tspn salt, 1 tspn baking soda, 3 cups of quick cooking oats, 1 cup raisins, 1 cup walnuts. pre-heat to 350, and bake 10-12 minutes. You guys RULE! so eat big, and get big

Heres what I read about baking protein poweder.

"Any extreme temperatures, freezing or high heat (above ~140ºF), can denature protein (produce cross-linking) and reduce its solubility, digestibility and bioavailability.

Blending a protein solution (heat and foaming) can result in the denaturation of proteins, leading to a loss of solubility and biological functionality. However, the small amount of heat or foaming produced during preparation of a shake from a powder by blending in a household blender will not cause any damage to the proteins."

So I wonder how much gets broken down.

Good point, Bolo. Still, someone on the T-Mag staff (I think) mentioned that the protein in AP isn’t adversely affected by microwaving. So I wonder what would happen to it in an oven…

Cooking’s definitely an issue… Here’s a brainfart for ya, how about making some oatmeal cream pies, but getting some protein powder into the cream somehow? I bet you could do this if ya got some sugar-free marshmallow cream (if the stuff even exists) and mix it with some A.P.

I’m not sure on the heating protein powder issue, but don’t do it, because somewhere in the dark recesses of my brain I THINK I’ve read somewhere it’s harmful. This isn’t oatmeal, but it’s related; sometimes I prepare a box of those nature burgers from scratch, but adding a whopping amount of unflavored protein powder. This means you can’t use Advanced Protein, and trust me, vanilla or chocolate tastes pretty weird in one of these dishes, but making 'em with some extra water to accomodate the protein powder makes for a pretty tasty meal or snack, especially for those of us who enjoy texture in their mouths. Good for variety, as occasionally even I get tired of eating the same three meals every day at the office.

Robusto,
Here’s a recipe for chocolate-oatmeal bars.
It’s zone complient (40-30-30). DON’T bake it. Mix it up, spread it in a pan and put in the fridge. Adjust accordingly for massive eating if desired.

112 gm protein powder, 1 cup chopped peanuts, 4.5 oz rolled oats, uncooked, 7 Tablespoons granulated fructose

mix fructose in 1 cup of hot water. add peanuts and stir. add oats and mix thouroughly. start adding protein powder. you will have to mix with your hands. probably have to add a BIT more water, but don't make it sloppy. spread it out in the pan and refridgerate.

This is pretty damn good for a snack. Will be soft so eating with a fork will likely be necessary.

Make these with your lady and the gooey cleanup
can get rather exciting…

Dave

Robusto, dp, good recipes, guys. Anyone else have any? Also, could someone from the Biotest staff answer the question about whether or not baking affects the protein in AP? I’d LOVE to make some oatmeal cookies, but obviously not if baking is going to scotch the effort.