T Nation

Oat Muffin Recipe

Oats are a good bodybuilding food, and they're perfect as part of a morning meal, but for me oatmeal tastes like gruel, I just don't like it much.  More importantly, it's not very portable, and I need something I can grab on the way out the door to work.  After much experimentation, I've come up with this scrumptious and healthy Oat muffin recipe, and I though I'd share it with you all.

OAT MUFFINS - Makes 24, 246.6 Kcal 16.4g Protein each

4 Eggs
5 Cups Oats
1.5 Cups Equal
3 Cups 1% Milk
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1 Cup Raisins
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1.5 Teaspoons Salt
3 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1/4 Stick Melted Butter
12 Scoops Low-Carb Metabolic Drive - Vanilla
4 Bananas Chopped
1/2 Cup Flax Meal

Fill two 12 muffin trays evenly and bake in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tray.

Most of the ingredients are optional, so if you have trouble with milk, butter, or something else, it can probably be substituted. You MUST leave in the Oats, Salt, Baking Powder, Sugar Substitute, and probably the oil, or it just won’t come out right.

I have these in the morning with my coffee, and it’s never been easier to get in some quick protein.

what can i use instead of butter and 1% milk? my grocery store doesnt sell low-sugar milk, and butter is just out of the question

[quote]youngguns516 wrote:
what can i use instead of butter and 1% milk? my grocery store doesnt sell low-sugar milk, and butter is just out of the question[/quote]

I would suggest that if you’re worried about 1/24th of 1 pat of butter, you’re overstressing, however you could easily just leave it out. It will be slightly less rich, but honestly it’s no big deal. The extra fats actually lower the GI a bit, but the effect isn’t that significant.

As for the milk, almond milk would make a good substitute. While I haven’t tried it, water would probably work just as well, though the final taste/consistency might be slightly altered. Unless you’re lactose intolerant though I wouldn’t worry about it, you’re not going to get much of an insulin response with all those oats in there.

As an added bonus, I usually add 24 scoops of creatine, so I get my daily supply as long as I eat breakfast. One less thing to track.

I can assume any vanilla whey will work right?

Does cooking with micellar casein/whey alter it in any way? Does it sort of defeat the whole ‘cold manufactured’ process etc?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I can assume any vanilla whey will work right?[/quote]

I don’t see why not, though since not all powders taste the same, the final result may be slightly different.

[quote]danchubb wrote:
Does cooking with micellar casein/whey alter it in any way? Does it sort of defeat the whole ‘cold manufactured’ process etc?[/quote]

Cooking it will tend to denature the proteins making them faster acting, since this is a breakfast food I personally see that as a bonus. The amino content is still there, which is really the important part.