Oat Meal, Rolled Oats?

alright so I have been reading a lot of dieting and have been usseing a lot of the advice but I need to ask this question. A lot of people eat “rolled oat’s” for break fast and I was wonderring if that is what I am eatting. I’m not eatting those little packets by any means but I have like a big bag of Quaker oats but they say “quick 3-5 minutes to cook” on them.

All I do it pour 2-3 cup into a bowl and then 2-3 of water with that and then nuke it for 2 minute’s? Doe’s that seem like it’s the right kind of oat meal to be eating for weight loss?

Thank you.

That sounds right as long as there is no added sugars.

Uhh… I would say that is a good kind of oatmeal but I wouldn’t say it was good for fat loss. Of course, it really depends on the rest of your diet so I don’t think anyone can say if it is good or not for fat loss.

Ever tried steel cut oats? - once you try em the rolled oats seem much less substantial and weaker tasting IMO. Being less processed, steel cut are slower to digest as well, which is good for fat loss I suppose.

Well I mean like it’s a solid part of a weight loss diet isn’t it? I know it’s not a fat loss excelerant but isn’t it a solid food to eat for break fast, ussually I eat 2/3 cup of oat meal with a apple chopped up in it with a protein shake after I’m done eatting that. Doe’s that sound good?

yeah thats solid, i cant eat breakfast at all i have no appetite in the morning, so i take a cup of oats, banana, pb, 2 scoops protein ,and blueberries and blend that shit up into a 1k calorie shake that i can chug on the go

i was worried about getting the shits from it but it hasn’t happened yet, i find it really hard the just eat a massive bowl of oatmeal in the morning

[quote]schultzie wrote:
yeah thats solid, i cant eat breakfast at all i have no appetite in the morning, so i take a cup of oats, banana, pb, 2 scoops protein ,and blueberries and blend that shit up into a 1k calorie shake that i can chug on the go

i was worried about getting the shits from it but it hasn’t happened yet, i find it really hard the just eat a massive bowl of oatmeal in the morning
[/quote]

I’m the exact same way. I find it hard to eat solid food for several hours after waking. My morning shake is nearly exactly as what you posted.

To the OP, what you’re doing sounds fine, though you might want to try cooking them, if possible, instead of nuking. Microwaves destroy a lot of the good stuff in food.

[quote]carltmac wrote:
Well I mean like it’s a solid part of a weight loss diet isn’t it? I know it’s not a fat loss excelerant but isn’t it a solid food to eat for break fast, ussually I eat 2/3 cup of oat meal with a apple chopped up in it with a protein shake after I’m done eatting that. Doe’s that sound good?[/quote]

Yes, it is a solid food that CAN be used in a weight loss diet. However, that doesn’t mean everyone should. Do a search for an article called Temporal Nutrition. Also, read up on John Berardi’s 10 Habits.

Without knowing anything else about your diet or you, nobody can say that it is a good weight loss food for you. It may work for some, but it may not work for you. It doesn’t work for me so I have to make other choices.

[quote]schultzie wrote:

[/quote]

That sounds like a lot of food for someone that has “no appetite in the morning”.

lol… its calorically dense, but still a beverage so my stomach doesn’t have to expand as much to accommedate it, i dunno its just easier.

also i heard somewhere that oatmeal raises cortisol?

Honestly the more I read the more I get confussed. I have a favour to ask, could you guys please help me choose a diet to go with 10 x 3 For Fat Loss by Chad Waterbury that would maximize the fat loss with that program. (I have heard that it is a really good program but if you have any suggestions I would like to hear them). I am 6’6 and about 280 pounds and I have been trying differrent thing’s on and off for about 8 month’s and I think that it would really help to just a set diet and program.

Thank’s ahead of time.

Well, if you are trying different things over a period of 8 months, the first question that comes to mind, did you give any a fair chance to work?

Next, do a search on T-dawg diet: Version 2.0. It is a good diet. Read it, understand it (that means reading the discussion). Set up a sample diet plan, then ask more questions if you need to. Finally, you have to give it time to work. Just like the program, it doesn’t work overnight.

You need a calorie deficit to lose fat. Staying in a calorie deficit will cause your metabolism to slow and you will retain fat. Do a zig zag diet alternating 3 days in 1 day off of a mild calorie deficit. Oatmeal is fine on that type of a diet. I eat it every day.

Chose a metabolic conditioning workout to lose fat along with basic compound exercises done with low reps and progressively heavier weights in order to maintain and build strength.

I sound like a broken record.

Stu

thanks for the replying and that is exactly what I was saying, I didn’t give any thing a chance to work. That is why this time I want to actually choose some thing that I feel good about and stick with it. Also Stuward I have no idea what you just said lol?

[quote]carltmac wrote:
Stuward I have no idea what you just said lol?[/quote]

About the zig zag diet, or the metabolic conditioning workout? or both?

http://drsquat.com/articles/zigzag.html
http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/hierarchy-of-fat-loss.html

The reason I sound like a broken record is that I gave the exact same advise to someone else a few minutes earlier.

Stu

[quote]carltmac wrote:
thanks for the replying and that is exactly what I was saying, I didn’t give any thing a chance to work. That is why this time I want to actually choose some thing that I feel good about and stick with it. Also Stuward I have no idea what you just said lol?[/quote]

Then take a deep breath. Hold it. Hold it. Now, let it out slowly. Do that once again, I’ll wait. Ok, now that you have relaxed a bit, give a program a month or two to see how it works. Track your results. That means write down what you eat each day (you MUST be honest). What you weigh at the start of your diet. What you weigh after a whole week (that means don’t weigh yourself each day. Instead, only on day 7). Then, after two weeks, etc. If nothing changes with your weight after a couple of weeks, cut back on the calories or add in some extra exercise. Repeat.

If you are unable to lose any weight after doing that for a bit of time, you need to look back on your records and determine if it was because the diet sucked, or because you didn’t stick with the diet AND a good exercise program. When you write everything down, you will be surprised at all of the little things you find that you shouldn’t have done (candy bar, beer, pop corn, beer, twizzlers at the movies, beer, etc.). These little things can prevent you from reaching your goals.

do you guys have any suggestion’s for diet’s?
I want just a simple one you know what I mean?
Also is there a place where you can print up a page to write every thing down or should I just get a little address book kind of thing?
How do I know how many calories or carb’s and stuff that a chicken breast, brocolli or any thing has? Do I just go by what the Nutrition Facts say and round it off?
Also I always read to eat lot’s of leaffy greens, I love lettuce but what kind of salad dressing is good for some one on a diet?
What are some other leaffy greens?

Carltmac, have you read the threads, ‘New to T-Nation’ and ‘Are you a Beginner’?

Many of your questions can be answered there.

[quote]carltmac wrote:
do you guys have any suggestion’s for diet’s?
I want just a simple one you know what I mean?
Also is there a place where you can print up a page to write every thing down or should I just get a little address book kind of thing?
How do I know how many calories or carb’s and stuff that a chicken breast, brocolli or any thing has? Do I just go by what the Nutrition Facts say and round it off?
Also I always read to eat lot’s of leaffy greens, I love lettuce but what kind of salad dressing is good for some one on a diet?
What are some other leaffy greens?[/quote]

I believe the T-Dawg diet 2.0 was suggested. Do a search for articles and you will find it pretty easy. Give it a month or two before you try something else. The key is to start with a solid base diet and tweak from there since everyone is different. Make a small change every month or two and keep tweaking based on your results.

I use a program called calorie king since it’s an easy place to go for calorie content and recording daily intakes but a box label and a food scale is really all you need.

The best type of dressing is none at all but if you have to have something avoid anything creamy/white is a pretty easy to follow rule. Oil/vinegar based dressing is probably your best bet but I don’t eat salad dressing so someone else can probably suggest a few to try out.

You’ve had some pretty good advice so far. It should be enough to get you started and moving in the right direction. If you want more specific help why not create a daily training/diet log like several others have so we can see what’s going on and what you’ve been doing in detail?

P