Oat Groats

I have always stuck to eating rolled or instant oatmeal. I was wondering if anyone has eaten or eats Oat Groats, any good? From the pictures I have seen it seems like it would have a better texture.

Every time oatmeal comes up I recommend Coach’s Oats: http://www.coachsoats.com/

More specifically this page, where it shows the difference between steel cut, rolled and Coach’s Oats:
http://www.coachsoats.com/co_difference.html

So, I just recieved my oat groats a few days ago and they are great. They have a way better texture than any other oat and also have a nuttier flavor. I made a bowl and mixed in a bit of quick oats, with the added cinnamon and splenda it tasted/had the texture of rice pudding. It is a must try.

Wondering if anyone had an answer to this. I usually get bad bloating and gas when I eat large amounts of oats but, this time I did not. After I cooked the groats I rinsed them until the water was no longer white/starchy decided to do the same with the dry quick oats. Could this have helped me? Is it all the extra starch that gives me problems or was the groats having been less processed the reason?

They couldn’t think of a better name?

In every thread about oatmeal I post about Coach’s Oats and every time it seems like I get ignored!

Coach’s Oats tastes almost exactly like steel cut but they cook as fast as rolled oats!

[quote]Nards wrote:
In every thread about oatmeal I post about Coach’s Oats and every time it seems like I get ignored!

Coach’s Oats tastes almost exactly like steel cut but they cook as fast as rolled oats![/quote]

I actually checked out the website and then preceded to buy a bag to see if they are any good.

You might be influencing people but they may just not be responding.

Then they must die.

Do not use logic with me.

lol

I beg for your forgiveness oh great, illogical Nards

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
They couldn’t think of a better name?[/quote]

ROFL

[quote]Kamel wrote:
lol

I beg for your forgiveness oh great, illogical Nards[/quote]
To be honest, I only behave illogically when it comes to oatmeal.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Wondering if anyone had an answer to this. I usually get bad bloating and gas when I eat large amounts of oats but, this time I did not. After I cooked the groats I rinsed them until the water was no longer white/starchy decided to do the same with the dry quick oats. Could this have helped me? Is it all the extra starch that gives me problems or was the groats having been less processed the reason?[/quote]

It’s because of the phytates in oats. They need to be soaked to remove the phytates, they are very difficult to digest and actually act as anti-nutrients, blocking out other beneficial nutrients from being metabolized.

Oats, and other foods rich in complex carbohydrates, give you gas because the undigested parts of them are a favorite snack for the bacteria that live in your colon. They metabolize the starch and produce methane gas, along with a few ketones and assorted other ingredients, that give the gas that “SBD” aroma. Got that from some ones post on a nother forum.

So, it seems like washing the groats after having cooked them may have helped by removing a lot of the starches same with washing the dry quick oats before eating them. I tried washing the oats today before eating them and the water came out milky white for quite some time, so I guess it helped.

[quote]Nards wrote:

To be honest, I only behave illogically when it comes to oatmeal.
[/quote]

It’s completely understandable, oatmeal is illogical in it’s own right

Why did you have to say that!!?!?!?

Oatmeal is logical…it’s ME that isn’t logical when oatmeal is involved!!!

[quote]Nards wrote:

Oatmeal is logical…it’s ME that isn’t logical when oatmeal is involved!!![/quote]

That doesn’t make sense.

[quote]Nards wrote:

Oatmeal is logical…it’s ME that isn’t logical when oatmeal is involved!!![/quote]

I think all this thought and talk on oatmeal is making me lose sense of reality and logic forcing me to believe oatmeal is illogical.