T Nation

Oat Flour Vs. Whole Oats

This is maybe stupid, but doesn’t it change the nutritional benfits of oats if you grind it into flour? Does it make it higher GI or can I use it at will and treat it just like eating a bowl of oatmeal?

The nutrients may be the same, but the absorption probably won’t be…

[quote]vroom wrote:
The nutrients may be the same, but the absorption probably won’t be…[/quote]

exactly same fiber carbs etc just once part of the digestion equation is gone you chewing

Phill

exact same nutrition profile, but grinded oats (oat flour) has a higher glycemic index.

Two points to make here:

#1. ground oats may have a slightly higher GI but negligible IMO. Unless you are eating 100g of it, alone, on an empty stomach after a few hours of fasting, the GI difference won’t really affect you.

#2. ground oats is NOT the same as oat flour. Ground oats is exactly that - regualr rolled oats which are ground using a blender/food processor/coffee grinder. Oat flour (that you purchase at a shop) is first treated to be softened, steamed, ground very finely, and then sieved/filtered multiple times. This removes many of the nutrients, as well as a fair portion of the fibre.

I buy oat flour tortillas and they have a really high fiber count. I’d bet the insulin index (which JB cites as the more pertinent measure), is decent on these.

I thought heat had to be applied to change the GI.

[quote]xenithon wrote:
Two points to make here:

#1. ground oats may have a slightly higher GI but negligible IMO. Unless you are eating 100g of it, alone, on an empty stomach after a few hours of fasting, the GI difference won’t really affect you.

#2. ground oats is NOT the same as oat flour. Ground oats is exactly that - regualr rolled oats which are ground using a blender/food processor/coffee grinder. Oat flour (that you purchase at a shop) is first treated to be softened, steamed, ground very finely, and then sieved/filtered multiple times. This removes many of the nutrients, as well as a fair portion of the fibre.[/quote]

Oh cool. So I’ll just grind my own.

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
I thought heat had to be applied to change the GI.[/quote]

No not really bro the oats have been ground to a powder they will take much less time to digest and pas the gut then if Whole

Were splitting hairs on this one IMO though

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Were splitting hairs on this one IMO though

Phill[/quote]

True true. Won’t really change the fact that I may use it occasionally. But probably I’ll be too lazy to grind it up so I’ll just eat a bowl of oatmeal and never bake anything.