T Nation

O-lineman Looking For Tips

Yo, Im pretty new to these message board things…but I’m 6’1" 260 lbs. and i play college football, I used to play noseguard when i was 290, but i was moved to OG due to lack of experience at the position…ive lost a lot of fat because i started training better and quit eating junk food…

I need to pack on some muscle mass to play o line tho, there’s a pic…what do you all suggest

I know you mean well, but prepared to be burned.

Anyways, eat. Train hard and eat. Eat clean. Someone else will show up with better advice though.

Hey man,
You obviously are pretty solid at 260 and fairly lean in your current condition. I would check out Joe DeFranco’s stuff, and check out Eric Cressey’s new book on off season training.

In terms of nutrition, I think even if you just followed Berardi’s 10 Habits and didn’t get into counting calories, especially since you’re a lineman and you have a high activity level due to practice, you’ll do great. Good luck bro.
-Greg

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

Anyways, eat. Train hard and eat. Eat clean. Someone else will show up with better advice though.[/quote]

Why would he be burned? He’s bigger than most of the people on this board.

As far as advice, come up with the average amount of calories you eat per week that allow you stay at 260lbs. Slowly increase that amount up to as much as 500cals until you are gaining weight. I would attempt to gain too quickly because you could end up just putting that weight you lose back on. What is your protein intake like now? What is your goal weight?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

Anyways, eat. Train hard and eat. Eat clean. Someone else will show up with better advice though.

Why would he be burned? He’s bigger than most of the people on this board.

As far as advice, come up with the average amount of calories you eat per week that allow you stay at 260lbs. Slowly increase that amount up to as much as 500cals until you are gaining weight. I would attempt to gain too quickly because you could end up just putting that weight you lose back on. What is your protein intake like now? What is your goal weight?[/quote]

Thanks for the comment on being burned…I didn’t really know why i was gonna be burned…I take in about 300g/protein per day…very lean meats and 100 percent whey…I would like to be about 275 with 14 percent body fat…im currently 262 with 16 percent body fat, my training consists primarily of powerlifts and sprints right now (camp starts in a week)

the burned part could be—what do you want or expect to hear? You want to gain weight without fat. How would you expect to get there? Either gain the weight with fat and cut–cycle–or be prepared to take the time to add 15-20lbs of lbm without any fat gain.

Persoanlly, I wouldn’t worry about some fat given your position. The prof gave good advice about how to gain weight. Slowly add cals until you begin to feel/see changes. Total cals. is your benchmark here. Off the top of my head you must have to consume ~4,000cals. to maintain your current weight. I would shoot for 2-300 more and see how you feel. I wouldn’t be over the top concerned about ‘lean’ meats or totally clean eating. Whole milk, good fats, good carbs are going to be important given your weight and goals.

Your workout would then need to be examined. Also, what is your time frame?

[quote]Rmoss0 wrote:
Thanks for the comment on being burned…I didn’t really know why i was gonna be burned…I take in about 300g/protein per day…very lean meats and 100 percent whey…I would like to be about 275 with 14 percent body fat…im currently 262 with 16 percent body fat, my training consists primarily of powerlifts and sprints right now (camp starts in a week)[/quote]

You sound like you are doing a lot of things right. I’d look into more of a variety of proteins though. Whey is great, but other types have advantages as well. There is a wealth of info on this site. Do a search for protein in the articles. Mixing different types of proteins has many advantages such as varied absorption rates.

I think with camp a week a way and the season around the corner it will be difficult to gain significant strength. I would focus on skills and technique related to your position and maintaining your current strength.