T Nation

O-lifting Form

So, it looks like I might be going to FDU @ Madison in the fall and if so, I’ll be joining the Olympic team there. Here is some videos of tonights workout I did, just for form this is. Only 65lbs on the bar.

What do you guys think? What would you say I’m doing wrong?

C&J Front View:

C&J Side View:

Snatch Front View:

Battery died before I could get a side shot of the snatch. :-/

So far, for my list:

C&J:
-starting position needs work
-bar is reverse curled more then shrugged
-could catch it lower/squat lower
-lower back is rounded on the squat
-jerk could be faster

Snatch:
-starting position needs work
-catch it lower/squat lower

I know in the side view my lower back is rounded at the start, but thats b/c the bar is so low. I do not have bumper plates at home. :-/

thanks in advance.

-romanaz

When you have the bar on yourshoulder/clavicle area, you should have your elbows up higher and your upper arm parralel to the floor. If done properly the bar should be able to virtually balance on the shoulder without you holding onto it

[quote]gommeanh wrote:
When you have the bar on yourshoulder/clavicle area, you should have your elbows up higher and your upper arm parralel to the floor. If done properly the bar should be able to virtually balance on the shoulder without you holding onto it[/quote]

when I catch the bar, its in that position, but I can’t jerk it with the tips of my fingers on the bar. :-/ So what I do is reset my grip and have my elbows down farther. I need to work a bit on wrist flexibilty I say.

[quote]romanaz wrote:
gommeanh wrote:
When you have the bar on yourshoulder/clavicle area, you should have your elbows up higher and your upper arm parralel to the floor. If done properly the bar should be able to virtually balance on the shoulder without you holding onto it

when I catch the bar, its in that position, but I can’t jerk it with the tips of my fingers on the bar. :-/ So what I do is reset my grip and have my elbows down farther. I need to work a bit on wrist flexibilty I say.[/quote]

C&J
even on the catch your elbows weren’t quite high enough…def work on the wrist flexibility…
Front view- on the set up you started the pull with your elbows bent…and on the jerk your back foot turned sideways and stayed flat…it should be pointing foward and the heels should be up…and bent at the knee…

also your stance seems a little wide…might be why your arms are bent to get around your knees
Side view- on the set up your shoulders need to be out over the bar…and the bar should be over the middle part of your foot…looks to be a bit further away from your body…

Make some plywood discs 18" in diameter out of 3/4" plywood. This will put the bar about the right height off the floor. A cheap substitute for bumper plates.

TNT

[quote]agr117 wrote:
romanaz wrote:
gommeanh wrote:

when I catch the bar, its in that position, but I can’t jerk it with the tips of my fingers on the bar. :-/ So what I do is reset my grip and have my elbows down farther. I need to work a bit on wrist flexibilty I say.

C&J
even on the catch your elbows weren’t quite high enough…def work on the wrist flexibility…
Front view- on the set up you started the pull with your elbows bent…and on the jerk your back foot turned sideways and stayed flat…it should be pointing foward and the heels should be up…and bent at the knee…

also your stance seems a little wide…might be why your arms are bent to get around your knees
Side view- on the set up your shoulders need to be out over the bar…and the bar should be over the middle part of your foot…looks to be a bit further away from your body…
[/quote]

Any closer and I can’t get down enough to grab the bar. :-/ I’ll work on the wrist and hip flexibility for that.

[quote]romanaz wrote:
agr117 wrote:
romanaz wrote:
gommeanh wrote:

C&J

Any closer and I can’t get down enough to grab the bar. :-/ I’ll work on the wrist and hip flexibility for that.[/quote]

Like TNT-CDN said that may be b/c you only got 10’s on there…bumber plates being larger put the bar up a little higher…that could solve many of the set up issues

i saw some of your other videos as well and thought they looked pretty good your deadlift seems off to me though i cant put my finger on it but it makes me cringe like you are about to blow out your back. could just be me though keep up the good work.

[quote]gommeanh wrote:
i saw some of your other videos as well and thought they looked pretty good your deadlift seems off to me though i cant put my finger on it but it makes me cringe like you are about to blow out your back. could just be me though keep up the good work.[/quote]

really? I know I round my upper back on my deadlift and keep the lowerback neutral or arched during the lift. Gotta love the feeling in your lats after that one. Maybe it was an older deadlift video.

I’m going to make the wooden bumper plates and see that. And I’m also traveling to FDU to train with a friend on the oly team, and he will be helping me with form. I talked to him today, and what he said was:

-Need to not reverse curl the bar so much
-Keep the bar closer to me
-Need to not be stiff legging the jerk

bump? :slight_smile:

From the side-view the bar is too far out in front of you off the floor. Another idea is to stack up some plates to put the bar at the correct starting point.
I could very well be wrong, but I start off the floor with the bar in line vertically to my knees.
I never could stand Judas Priest.
Good luck.

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
From the side-view the bar is too far out in front of you off the floor. Another idea is to stack up some plates to put the bar at the correct starting point.
I could very well be wrong, but I start off the floor with the bar in line vertically to my knees.
Good luck.[/quote]

u know, I never thought to stack my plates under it… lol. Would make sense, specially since I got like 20 sets of 5’s and 10’s.

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
Good luck.[/quote]

never thought of the plates under the bar, good idea.

Are you flat footed? Some orthotics might be necessary if true.

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
Are you flat footed? Some orthotics might be necessary if true.[/quote]

I am flat footed, but its more that my knees point out actually then flat feet. Orthodics hurt my feet more then help. I used to wear them years ago, and when I stopped, my feet felt 10 times better.

Pulling Stance:

Your intial pulling stance is wide, too wide. You optimally wnat your heels to be under your hips on the initial pull. Follow everyone’s suggestions on raising the height of the bar. Or do all your pulls from the high/low hang for now.

You’re shoulders should not be that behind the bar either.

[quote]romanaz wrote:

Any closer and I can’t get down enough to grab the bar. :-/ I’ll work on the wrist and hip flexibility for that.[/quote]

IMHO, forget about the full lifts from anywhere near the floor for the near future. Three reasons;

1. You need flexibility. Some of this may be related to the low bar and lack of weight, but you can’t drop low enough to grip the bar and your start position needs work. You have trouble racking the bar.

You have trouble with you footwork in the clean. I can’t say they are all 100% flexibility problems, but there are some obvious flexibility issues and they are all over (wrists, shoulders, chest & abs, hips, glutes, quads & hamstrings).

1. Objectively, your physical fitness could use some work. Were you a heavyweight lifter with flawless technique and years of training, then by all means eat and grow large.

Unfortunately, you don’t appear to be a heavyweight lifter and as such weight class and work capacity will be significant factors. Big physiques don’t justify bad form and bad form doesn’t treat a bad physique very well.

1. You’re going to be joining the team at FDU. I think they’d have a hard time turning down someone who shows up in shape and who is willing to, and capable of, work hard. And while it might be nice to think that you could learn flawless form on your own in the three months prior to showing up, I don’t think it’s going to happen.

I’m pretty sure the coaches there would rather work with a tabula rasa than try and bleach out any bad form that you’ve ground into your system. More over, why waste three months learning technique on your own (the hard way) when you’re going to have someone teach you in the near future.

Focus on pounds, partials, and work capacity for now. IMO, for you right now, as long as you’re hitting full extension (no matter where you started) with as heavy a weight as possible, as often as possible, you’re going in the right direction.

My $.02 anyway.

BTW- Stacking plates on the floor is a good idea short term but forget about making plywood discs. Eventually, you’ll need the plates you’re lifting off of to lift and if you’ve got the tools/time to make plywood plates you can make yourself some boxes that you’ll use even after you’ve got some bumpers.

I’m friends with a few people down on the FDU team, and in the next week or two, I’m heading down to FDU to train with one of them and he will be teaching me form and such on the lifts.

I am working on the flexibility issues as we speak. Even though this doesn’t look like much flexibility to you guys, its 10 times better then what it used to be. :smiley:

Until then I’ll just keep away from the full lifts, and do clean/snatch pulls and front squats

[quote]lucasa wrote:
romanaz wrote:

Any closer and I can’t get down enough to grab the bar. :-/ I’ll work on the wrist and hip flexibility for that.

IMHO, forget about the full lifts from anywhere near the floor for the near future. Three reasons;

1. You need flexibility. Some of this may be related to the low bar and lack of weight, but you can’t drop low enough to grip the bar and your start position needs work. You have trouble racking the bar.

You have trouble with you footwork in the clean. I can’t say they are all 100% flexibility problems, but there are some obvious flexibility issues and they are all over (wrists, shoulders, chest & abs, hips, glutes, quads & hamstrings).

1. Objectively, your physical fitness could use some work. Were you a heavyweight lifter with flawless technique and years of training, then by all means eat and grow large.

Unfortunately, you don’t appear to be a heavyweight lifter and as such weight class and work capacity will be significant factors. Big physiques don’t justify bad form and bad form doesn’t treat a bad physique very well.

1. You’re going to be joining the team at FDU. I think they’d have a hard time turning down someone who shows up in shape and who is willing to, and capable of, work hard. And while it might be nice to think that you could learn flawless form on your own in the three months prior to showing up, I don’t think it’s going to happen.

I’m pretty sure the coaches there would rather work with a tabula rasa than try and bleach out any bad form that you’ve ground into your system. More over, why waste three months learning technique on your own (the hard way) when you’re going to have someone teach you in the near future.

Focus on pounds, partials, and work capacity for now. IMO, for you right now, as long as you’re hitting full extension (no matter where you started) with as heavy a weight as possible, as often as possible, you’re going in the right direction.

My $.02 anyway.

BTW- Stacking plates on the floor is a good idea short term but forget about making plywood discs. Eventually, you’ll need the plates you’re lifting off of to lift and if you’ve got the tools/time to make plywood plates you can make yourself some boxes that you’ll use even after you’ve got some bumpers.[/quote]

IF you haven’t already seen it… this video helped me proper form on the Snatch, as well as the starting position before the jump.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=dan+john

On tip for the elbow position on the clean and jerk:
-Focus on Squeezing your elbows in.
It worked for me, now my wrist no longer hurt after cleaning or front Squatting.

good video, haven’t seen that in a while.

Thanks for that, I’m watching it right now :smiley:

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
IF you haven’t already seen it… this video helped me proper form on the Snatch, as well as the starting position before the jump.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=dan+john

On tip for the elbow position on the clean and jerk:
-Focus on Squeezing your elbows in.
It worked for me, now my wrist no longer hurt after cleaning or front Squatting. [/quote]