O Lift Videos

I have two videos psted to my profile of my last novice meet for Olympic Lifting. I’m trying to post the link here as well, but I’m not sure if I’m doing this right.

This is only the second time I have competed, so any comments would be welcome.

Nice! Where do you lift? I lift at Lost Battallion in NYC and am new as well. As Im sure you realize, your doing the power variations of both lifts. Thats been my problem as well. Simply dropping in the catch phase of the clean and snatch will add a ton of weight to your totals. It’s getting there thats the problem. Good luck!
-Mike

I started learning the lifts about a year and a half ago at MASC in Bridgeville, PA. Pittsburgh Barbell uses the facilities there for Olympic lifing. The coaching is great and they’re always willing to help anyone, regardless of level.

Lately, I’ve been training at home and going to MASC about once a month.

My experience with the power versions of the lifts doesn’t seem to fit the norm. I can squat ATG for front, back and overhead squats. For some reason, when I start approaching max lifts in the snatch and clean, I can’t seem to get under the bar.

I can do a full clean at 85K, but as I approach 90 - 95K, I slip back into the power version. I’m 42 yrs old, with some history of knee trouble. I suspect there’s something going on in my head that stops me.

Up to this point, I’ve been focusing most of my attention on learning the lifts. Right now, my plan is to push my squats up and see how that works. I’ve also been doing full lifts from the hang positon to gain bar speed.

I seem to be the only person I know whose power cleans/snatches lead their full lifts.

I actually have the same problem. As I get up in weight, I find it hard to drop under quickly enough. I’ve been working on cleans and snatches from the dead hang, and its helped alot. What you might try is doing a couple of clean and snatches from a dead hang with 50% or so of your max, then transition to the lift from the floor. When I do this, I’m able to “program” myself to do it correctly on the subsequent lifts.