T Nation

NZ Pro BBer Justin Rys (Video)

http://www.3news.co.nz/tabid/371/articleID/73682/cat/46/Default.aspx#video

I wanted to post this video for discussion purposes, Justin is a “vet” at a popular board(pro muscle) and he originally posted that there.

What do you guys think… take it in any direction you want, drugs, food, training, media portrayal of BBing in NZ vs USA etc.

Thanks for posting the video. I don’t know much about the professional bodybuilding scene or the drugs but I still found it to be very fascinating and a cool story

I thought the drug part of things was a little dumb.

Bigorexia-HA! I got that disease too I think…I call it muscle dysmorphia, or thats what my physio teacher calls it.

Some of my favorite parts are when she hit his shoulder and was like “oooh thats nice”

when he said women “really love it or hate it”

the stinkin canned chicken. lol

Seems like a cool dood and I want one of those jailhouse tanks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol

not trying to be the “he’s still on juice” guy, but do you think he is on anything? Maybe trt? Just curious because he still has a superbly impressive physique for being clean. Either way, cool vid. Thanks scott.

DG

he needs a wider back imo doesn’t look right, I like the idea that they mentioned his ridiculous gbh use and compared it too what a normal person would have.

bit of a gh gut aswell :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:

not trying to be the “he’s still on juice” guy, but do you think he is on anything? Maybe trt? Just curious because he still has a superbly impressive physique for being clean. Either way, cool vid. Thanks scott.

DG[/quote]

I’ll try to locate the pictures that were taken of him while he was still in jail(got a supervised day trip or something) and he was still very large… just not as lean.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was natural right now as I imagine his “set point” of muscle mass is so far above his once natural peak that he’s able to hold a large portion of the muscle he used to walk around at even naturally.

yeah like scott said, it is possible hes natural just for the fact hes been juicing so long and has maintained that weight so long its just his natural weight now so long as he can still feed it.

it was kinda a look at myself from someone elses viewpoin. i mean obviously im nowhere near his size and i dont take any drugs either but just seeing that his whole life revolves around lifting and eating just kinda made me think of how my friends must feel when i have to eat all the time.

plus my food is also “boring” as she called it. only i dont eat 40 cans of chicken i just drink 2 gallons of milk.

hey look more lazy fat bastards (the ones in the video) making fun of someone with serious physical accomplishments

is it because they can’t achieve it by just throwing money at it ? i think so

interesting video. I’m sure we all saw little bits of our own daily routines in there.

S

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
hey look more lazy fat bastards (the ones in the video) making fun of someone with serious physical accomplishments

is it because they can’t achieve it by just throwing money at it ? i think so[/quote]

What parts did you feel there were lazy fat bastards making fun of him?

alright i take the “fat” part back

but the attitude of the women interviewing him was very condescending which plays into the whole hate of media towards bodybuilding

you really need to understand how this looks to your average joe. sugar coat it all you like but getting up to like 280lbs at 5’8 or something is not in the least bit normal. its not normal to spend $1,000 on groceries, its not normal to need to eat every 18 meals a day.

modern bodybuilding is basically taking something thats good in moderation and amplyfying to an extreme.

i like big tits, who doesnt? now say i like size D tits but you like size C. you could say oh no dude D’s are way too big blahblah. and its just a matter of taste, you could make a semi-reaasonable argument for not liking them of that size. now if you saw a pair of double-F tits theres no logic to liking them that big, theyre freakish, theyve taken something that was great and just over exceeded it to a point where it can be impressize but for the wrong reasons. basically modern day bodybuilding has become size Triple-F tits.

i agree and would be fine with that perception if it wasn’t also forced on almost anyone who lifts seriously whether the guy is 160 lbs or 240 lbs

The main difference between those two extreme in terms of appearance is one took 10-20 years and countless effort… the other 10-20k and a couple weeks of a sore chest. Both a little delusional but at least Justin is well aware that most girls don’t find it appealing.

Whether people like it or not(and let’s be honest bodybuilding to that extreme is not liked by many) there is a certain level of unquestionable respect that can be given to the bodybuilder. Dismiss him for using steroids, GH, SEOs etc but what you can’t dismiss is that he had to earn that physique and couldn’t buy it off the shelves.

What I’m fascinated by is the sheer amount of food he eats to put on size, he eats 18x a day and each meal is at least 30 grams of protein so he’s AT LEAST at 540 grams and probably venturing closer to 650-700 considering how big a few of the meals were(breakfast, 11AM restaurant meal). How he has time for anything else in his day is beyond me, that’s a full time job.

This is the best image I could find of him… this is NOT the picture I was talking about when he was in prison. Look at those shoulders.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
The main difference between those two extreme in terms of appearance is one took 10-20 years and countless effort… the other 10-20k and a couple weeks of a sore chest. Both a little delusional but at least Justin is well aware that most girls don’t find it appealing.

Whether people like it or not(and let’s be honest bodybuilding to that extreme is not liked by many) there is a certain level of unquestionable respect that can be given to the bodybuilder. Dismiss him for using steroids, GH, SEOs etc but what you can’t dismiss is that he had to earn that physique and couldn’t buy it off the shelves.

What I’m fascinated by is the sheer amount of food he eats to put on size, he eats 18x a day and each meal is at least 30 grams of protein so he’s AT LEAST at 540 grams and probably venturing closer to 650-700 considering how big a few of the meals were(breakfast, 11AM restaurant meal). How he has time for anything else in his day is beyond me, that’s a full time job.
[/quote]

lol he doesnt have time for anything. the further you get into this the more it takes of your life. theres no way Ronnie Coleman is doing anything with his life other than eating, lifting, eating, eating, sleep, drugs, eat. Lou Ferrigno took premade food on the plane with him because he needed to know exactly what he was eating. when youre at that level it is your only job and it is nonstop. it stops becoming that youre trying to improve your body to improve yourself your body becomes almost something of its own that requires your constant undivided attention.

its hard enough devoting the time i devote now to lifting, i mean when i think of my days when someone asks me like ho you wanna do something this time, this date, first thing i think of is what am i training and will i be able to train if i do that. i think thats bad enough and i would never get to the point this guy is at with that much time devotion. i think it really starts turning to a problem at that stage

Well let’s be fair, Ronnie was a full time police officer during the early part of his career(even during Olympia wins) and he has a family. He became secure enough financial via bodybuilding that he no longer needed to work full time… but he did and does have a life outside of it.

You can look at other current pros… Dave Henry was active duty in the Air Force up until very recently, has a fiance/wife(not sure). Mark Dugdale owns and runs a business totally unrelated to bodybuilding, wife and kids, active religious man. Erik Fankhouser… full time job wife and kids etc etc etc.

Are there guys who do nothing but eat sleep and train? Yes not denying that one bit, but there are also many people that live balanced lives at the same time.

Bodybuilding is a very time consuming sport day in and day out but those that prep their meals, don’t have marathon gym sessions, and are willing to sacrifice other “normal” stuff like watching 4 hours of TV a day can get it done obviously.

He’s a very nice guy. Lost a fair bit in jail, but is still massive. The guy is VERY dedicated, and one of the guys in the gym who will take the time to help newbies.

Also, money isn’t so much of an issue anymore, he has a supplement/weight lifting store. He can support a lifestyle of $1000 a week in food. The difference is that he makes the effort to eat very healthy.

I didn’t particularly enjoy the video however, it only shows one extreme of the bodybuilding circuit. Also, having spoken to him once or twice, I thought in the interview he came off as less intelligent than he really is.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
you really need to understand how this looks to your average joe. sugar coat it all you like but getting up to like 280lbs at 5’8 or something is not in the least bit normal. its not normal to spend $1,000 on groceries, its not normal to need to eat every 18 meals a day.

modern bodybuilding is basically taking something thats good in moderation and amplyfying to an extreme.

i like big tits, who doesnt? now say i like size D tits but you like size C. you could say oh no dude D’s are way too big blahblah. and its just a matter of taste, you could make a semi-reaasonable argument for not liking them of that size. now if you saw a pair of double-F tits theres no logic to liking them that big, theyre freakish, theyve taken something that was great and just over exceeded it to a point where it can be impressize but for the wrong reasons. basically modern day bodybuilding has become size Triple-F tits.[/quote]

triple f tits are always good…there is no such thing as tits that are too big,

My favorite part of the video:

Justin:
“It feels like somebody hit you with a bat in the muscle you are working.”

Reporter:
“Is that good?”

Justin:
“Yes.”

It’s intersting, I was just figuring the other day how much money each week I spend on food. Now most of my friends think I eat a ton of food,… and always seem to be eating (which I must admnit, is true), but I try to buy most of my stuff in bulk, at BJs, and Trader Joes (PB, Oats, Bison meat…). How much $ you guys figure you spend each week? I’m certainly nowhere near 1K, but was shocked to find I spend at least 100-150 bucks (this is eating at home, not coounting if I go out)

S