T Nation

NYTimes on Gym Ettiquete

NYTimes has an interesting article on some of the most debated topics here: what to do and not do at the gym.

Some highlights include:

"The Manhattan district attorney�??s office says that Mr. Carter, a stockbroker in a spinning class at an Equinox gym on the Upper East Side, had had it with Stuart Sugarman one morning last summer. Mr. Sugarman was pedaling a couple of bikes away �?? and grunting, groaning and shouting.

Mr. Carter walked over and upended Mr. Sugarman�??s exercise bicycle, with him still on it, Mr. Sugarman said. He spent two weeks in a hospital and said he has had chronic neck and back pain ever since. Mr. Sugarman, 49, has said that he can no longer go golfing or hiking �?? or spinning.

Mr. Carter, 45, is now on trial in Manhattan Criminal Court. He could face up to a year in prison if convicted on an assault charge, a misdemeanor. "

I guess it’s mostly about just knowing where you are and who you’re amongst. If you’re in a Planet Fitness you know how to act, but somebody walkin’ into a basement gym in some back alley somewhere has no right to complain.

As far as that story, that’s god damn hilarious to me, even if the guy got hurt. Not the right thing to do obviously, but definitely entertaining

This is my Gym and yes it sucks. Really.

�??Things like that frustrate me. I�??ve pushed my body to the max. I don�??t have to grunt and scream and yell.�??

I’m not sure I buy this. How do you know you’ve pushed your body to the max if it’s not when you let out a blood curdling scream of agony?

I have no sympathy for either person.

Imagine I come home to my wife: “I got into a fight at spinning class.”

“Um… spinning? We’re getting divorced.”

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I have no sympathy for either person.

Imagine I come home to my wife: “I got into a fight at spinning class.”

“Um… spinning? We’re getting divorced.” [/quote]

LOL. Well said, good sir.