T Nation

Nyquil for Sleep?

well i think this is a question i havent seen asked before.

im really having trouble sleeping lately, i dont know why. i didnt have any ridiculously late nights where im up until 5-6am partying to throw my sleep off, just all of a sudden one night i went to bed around the usual time- which for me is 12:30-1ish and i was restless and couldnt sleep. this happened the next several nights. and i mean like 7-8am i still havent slept a fucking minute. and its stupid, but every one of these nights like as soon as i hit the pillow there was some stupid song stuck in my head that i couldnt get out. and trust me, these arent even songs i listen to, and havent heard them in a long time, so its not like id just been jammin along to them an hour before.

anyway, after 3-4 nights of this i found myself with a cold, and nyquil came in. ive now become paranoid about not sleeping, because i didnt sleep that much to begin with (~6.5 hrs/night).

so now, im not "sick" anymore, but the past two nights ive still taken Nyquil gelcaps to make sure i get to sleep. im thinking that there is obviously the risk of getting "addicted" to these things. i guess im just asking what information/thoughts/experiences people have with this. thanks

I've never had trouble falling asleep. My problem is staying asleep. I used to frequently wake up at 2:30 a.m. and then lie awake for hours. All the thoughts that I repressed throughout the day came back to haunt me (Hour of the Wolf).

I started taking 1 mg of melatonin before bed and that helped me stay asleep all night. Melatonin is a hormone (N-acetyl-5 methoxytryptamine)produced in the pineal gland. It can be purchased over the counter in the health food section of supermarkets.

http://familydoctor.org/258.xml

I recently added 530 mg of Valerian and it seems to have deepened my sleep. It too can be purchased over the counter.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030415/1755.html

i've found that benadryl works very well for me. i travel a lot for work and have trouble falling asleep in hotel rooms, especially when there are two beds. anyway, taking a benadryl allergy pill always knocks me out. i don't know of any medical consequences, but i'd assume it's not a good idea to take it every night, but try it and see if it works.

This sometimes happens to me when I'm training hard. Usually when I'm on some sort of calorie restriction. Has your training volume/intensity increased of late? If so you may be in a state of overtraining. Do you feel as if you have an elevated heartrate?

in response to the elevated heart rate question i would say that i thought my heart was going a little fast on the first of the sleepness nights that i mentioned.

another thing that has been happening lately is that with my normal pillow i feel like my head isnt high enough and my face kinda feels like blood is coming to my head. i doubled it up with another pillow and then i didnt have the blood rush feeling. since then i have been comfortable with just the one pillow and other times had the blood rush feeling and had to double it up. im not particularly concerned with this though, because i think im in pretty good health.

i had melatonin one night at a friends house a couple years ago and i didnt notice it do anything. i dunno, is it something that you have to take on a regular basis to feel the effects of?

thanks for replies

I agree w/ Loose Tool.

Also check out ZMA. It took me a few nights to get any effects from it, but it definitely works. And I don't generally have night terrors when I take it.

I would advise against taking nyquil to help you sleep.

It is a big cocktail of OTC medications all in one.

It contains:
Acetaminophen
Dextromethorphan HBr
Doxylamine Succinate
Pseudoephedrine HCl
Alcohol (not all types have this.)

The Dox is what makes you sleepy, so if you like how that knocks you out try to find something OTC with just that.

diphenhydramine (Benadryl) works as well and it can more easily be found by itself.

The liquigels don't have alcohol in them, but other than that, you are correct with what you have posted.

Have very rough sex right before bed...that should put you out like a light

ha the same thing happens to me all the time. one night i layed in the bed sweating, trying to think about what those things in your butt are called, that hurts when you sit down (yeah i know, hemroids), so finally i woke my dad up at 3am to ask him what they were called (google didnt help). after that i fell asleep in like 10 mins.

so basically try looking it up, if it helps ,before you take any drugs.

ha...thanks for the interesting reply, but i didnt mean i was laying there trying to figure out what these songs were, i couldnt care less what they were to be honest, i just want to sleep. but yea about the looking it up thing youre correct there. if theres something im thinking about a lot and my mind is racing about it i do usually hop on the internet and google away. those nights arent a problem though, because im staying up longer because i want more and more information about whatever im interested in, not because im laying in bed and just cant settle down. and yea, the nights that i get back outta bed to check things out on the internet, 9 times outta 10 its to get right back on T-Nation, others being a mix of things that im interested in....thanks all