T Nation

NYC to Ban Infant Formula

Ok, so the title isn’t true, but that’s how many people are making it out to be.

Such as this lady’s aritcle http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/141223/nyc_hospitals_to_start_making

Funny how people are getting upset over this… They’re not banning it, so what’s the problem?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Ok, so the title isn’t true, but that’s how many people are making it out to be.

Such as this lady’s aritcle http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/141223/nyc_hospitals_to_start_making

Funny how people are getting upset over this… They’re not banning it, so what’s the problem?[/quote]

What are they doing then?

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Ok, so the title isn’t true, but that’s how many people are making it out to be.

Such as this lady’s aritcle http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/141223/nyc_hospitals_to_start_making

Funny how people are getting upset over this… They’re not banning it, so what’s the problem?[/quote]

What are they doing then? [/quote]

damn son, read the article… essentially, they’re not going to give away free formula samples and mothers that do want it, will have to sign for it. Which some are saying by being in place will make mom’s feel like shit… Hmmm, denying your baby of breast milk, let’s be more concerned with protecting a mom’s ego…

That said, it seems most of the ones in an uproar are those that were unable to breastfeed, that itself is an entirely different issue that should affect said parent in this new proposed change.

I want to say that I’m pro-nursing, however, I’m pro-make-your-own-choices long before that. It’s nobody’s business - not a nurse, not a doctor, not the government - to make that decision for parents. It really irks me that these mothers that have just given birth have to sit there and be made feel terrible and lectured for their supposedly horrible choices.

My problem with it, Jehovasfitness, is that it would be MY choice as a parent to choose what method to feed my child that I deem fit. Formula is available for OTC sales and I do not feel that I should have restricted access to it. You know how shit hits the fan when they try to make supplements less available or take them away from the general public. In principal, I don’t think this is any different. It’s really deplorable that this has even been considered.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
I want to say that I’m pro-nursing, however, I’m pro-make-your-own-choices long before that. It’s nobody’s business - not a nurse, not a doctor, not the government - to make that decision for parents. It really irks me that these mothers that have just given birth have to sit there and be made feel terrible and lectured for their supposedly horrible choices.

My problem with it, Jehovasfitness, is that it would be MY choice as a parent to choose what method to feed my child that I deem fit. Formula is available for OTC sales and I do not feel that I should have restricted access to it. You know how shit hits the fan when they try to make supplements less available or take them away from the general public. In principal, I don’t think this is any different. It’s really deplorable that this has even been considered.[/quote]

Again, it would still be available, just not offered for “free” when you know free samples aren’t there out of the kindness of a business’ heart.

That said, hence my screenname, why would someone knowingly feed their kid formula if A. the mother is able to breastfeed B. and has the “time” (I use that term loosely) to do so

^ Because the last time I checked this is America, and I for one would rather federal regulation not involve how, what, when I feed my family.

Most of the places in my area have the infant formula locked up in glass cases a la the “roids” at GNC. Why this is done is beyond me. I mean, can you make meth out of infant formula? Do people steal it? Because WIC will give you baby formula for free if you can’t afford it. Doesn’t make sense.

Whatever though, it’s no one’s business to tell a mother what they “should” be feeding their own child. Just like I’m very anti-smoking, but I don’t agree that the gubment should tell business owners that smoking isn’t allowed in their bar or restaurant. Like Derek said, this is 'Merica.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
I want to say that I’m pro-nursing, however, I’m pro-make-your-own-choices long before that. It’s nobody’s business - not a nurse, not a doctor, not the government - to make that decision for parents. It really irks me that these mothers that have just given birth have to sit there and be made feel terrible and lectured for their supposedly horrible choices.

My problem with it, Jehovasfitness, is that it would be MY choice as a parent to choose what method to feed my child that I deem fit. Formula is available for OTC sales and I do not feel that I should have restricted access to it. You know how shit hits the fan when they try to make supplements less available or take them away from the general public. In principal, I don’t think this is any different. It’s really deplorable that this has even been considered.[/quote]

Again, it would still be available, just not offered for “free” when you know free samples aren’t there out of the kindness of a business’ heart.

That said, hence my screenname, why would someone knowingly feed their kid formula if A. the mother is able to breastfeed B. and has the “time” (I use that term loosely) to do so
[/quote]

http://the-american-catholic.com/2012/07/30/dear-pro-choice-nyer-you-got-what-you-asked-for/

This explains my sentiments a bit.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
I want to say that I’m pro-nursing, however, I’m pro-make-your-own-choices long before that. It’s nobody’s business - not a nurse, not a doctor, not the government - to make that decision for parents. It really irks me that these mothers that have just given birth have to sit there and be made feel terrible and lectured for their supposedly horrible choices.

My problem with it, Jehovasfitness, is that it would be MY choice as a parent to choose what method to feed my child that I deem fit. Formula is available for OTC sales and I do not feel that I should have restricted access to it. You know how shit hits the fan when they try to make supplements less available or take them away from the general public. In principal, I don’t think this is any different. It’s really deplorable that this has even been considered.[/quote]

Again, it would still be available, just not offered for “free” when you know free samples aren’t there out of the kindness of a business’ heart.

That said, hence my screenname, why would someone knowingly feed their kid formula if A. the mother is able to breastfeed B. and has the “time” (I use that term loosely) to do so
[/quote]

What difference does it make if a free sample is offered? Nobody is forcing anyone to use it. Whenever I go to Sam’s Club, they offer me samples of junk food and I don’t get offended, I simply say “No, thank you”.

Why would anyone choose to use formula instead? It’s a free country? Do you need a better answer than that? lol Why are you so for people having their basic freedoms taken away?

ketosis; because people steal formula all the time. It’s expensive, and people go through a lot of it.

If the gov’t has to be big brother and have it’s hand in something (everything)

why not force the manufactures to produce something higher quality?

or

Just make parents aware of whatever is wrong with the formula and allow them to make an educated decision themselves.

So…formula will still be available to anyone who wants it, just not given out for free. And physicians will explain why breast milk is (substantially) healthier for infants, encouraging-but-not-forcing parents to make a healthier choice for said infants.

WHAT IS THIS, 1984?!?!??!

[quote]Aggv wrote:
If the gov’t has to be big brother and have it’s hand in something (everything)

why not force the manufactures to produce something higher quality?

or

Just make parents aware of whatever is wrong with the formula and allow them to make an educated decision themselves. [/quote]

The problem is not with the formulas, the issue is it is not natural breast milk.

Having two kids myself, this is an interesting discussion and topic. Seems there might be some confusion as to what exactly is going on. The article in the OP is a bit inflammatory and isn’t very factual. Here is a snip from the actual press release and what hospitals are doing.

"By joining this voluntary initiative for NYC maternity hospitals to support mother?s decision to breastfeed participating hospitals have agreed to:

-Enforce the NYS hospital regulation to not supplement breastfeeding infants with formula feeding unless medically indicated and documented on the infant?s medical chart;
-Restrict access to infant formula by hospital staff, tracking infant formula distribution and sharing data on formula distribution with the Health Department;
-Discontinue the distribution of promotional or free infant formula; and
-Prohibit the display and distribution of infant formula promotional materials in any hospital location."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/pr2012/pr013-12.shtml

Looks like no infant will be fed formula in these hospitals unless deemed medically necessary. That’s a bit more restrictive than saying “it’s your choice, even if we don’t agree with it”.

Edit: Hmm. Maybe I’m not reading it quite right. To not supplement “breastfeeding” babies. Doesn’t actually say they won’t restrict a mother’s choice NOT to breastfeed.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
I want to say that I’m pro-nursing, however, I’m pro-make-your-own-choices long before that. It’s nobody’s business - not a nurse, not a doctor, not the government - to make that decision for parents. It really irks me that these mothers that have just given birth have to sit there and be made feel terrible and lectured for their supposedly horrible choices.

My problem with it, Jehovasfitness, is that it would be MY choice as a parent to choose what method to feed my child that I deem fit. Formula is available for OTC sales and I do not feel that I should have restricted access to it. You know how shit hits the fan when they try to make supplements less available or take them away from the general public. In principal, I don’t think this is any different. It’s really deplorable that this has even been considered.[/quote]

Agreed 100%. Smoking and booze are bad for a fetus, but the government doesn’t regulate those for pregnant women as far as I know…though that may be considered a more grey area.

It basically reads like they’re clamping down on marketing in hospitals to me. Not telling you you can’t breastfeed/shouldn’t formula feed.

Of course breast milk is preferred. But some mothers have difficulty with it for various reasons - some involve things related to the child’s developing digestive system and subsequent distress.

The freedom to switch to a readily available formula is a choice all parents should have without restriction.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Of course breast milk is preferred. But some mothers have difficulty with it for various reasons - some involve things related to the child’s developing digestive system and subsequent distress.

The freedom to switch to a readily available formula is a choice all parents should have without restriction. [/quote]

NO YOU WILL COMPLY

Unsurprisingly Bloomberg is behind this.

Some women see breastfeeding as a chore, and some see it as an intimacy shared between mother and child.

Breastfeeding is both ugly and painful, as well as beautiful and healing.

Neither I or my government will force my wife to choose what’s best.

PS: My kids were breastfed.