NYC MMA Fighters

I need some help from my fellow brethren. I am looking for a good MMA school/gym in New York city. There are a ton out there and I don’t know which ones are for real. I am looking for a place where I can get a great workout(ideally they have weights) and I am looking to learn how to fight or defend myself is a better way of putting it.

I am not looking to become a MMA fighter I just these guys are exceptional athletes. I am want to find a place where I can get a great workout and learn various styles. I have a little background in Tae Kwon do and boxing. Any suggestions or schools would be great. I don’t want some fluffy kickboxing class I want some real shit. I am ready to bust my ass and get it kicked. thanks

There’s a Gracie school in NYC. This should end your search:
http://www.renzogracie.com/html/rzacademy.aspx

Train with Renzo you lucky bastard.

You can try Combined martial arts I’m not sure where they are located whether it’s the city or LI. I train with there NJ affiliate RHINO. They have a great background you can check them out at rhinomma.net.

Renzo Gracie’s academy, period.

[quote]Znug wrote:
I need some help from my fellow brethren. I am looking for a good MMA school/gym in New York city. There are a ton out there and I don’t know which ones are for real. [/quote]

I suggest you visit a few schools and take an intro class. Check out the instructor. Is the instructor patient and qualified? Are the students in great shape? Is it close to work or home? Here is a great article on selecting a school:

http://www.natkd.com/selecting_a_school.htm

You don’t say how old you are and how much you want to spend. If you’re a teen or in your twenties try Police Athletic League boxing. I believe they’re free or close to it. You can’t beat Gleason’s in Brooklyn for boxing. You can get a boxing trainer there for a very reasonable price. I think they have Thai Boxing there but I’m not sure.

There are several Thai Boxing Schools in Manhattan alone.
Renzo’s place is supposed to be great but the price is steep. Also, if you’re on Long Island or near it try the Serra brothers places. I think they have two.

For conditioning the New York City rec centers can’t be beat. I think I paid $75 a YEAR when I was a member a few years ago and you can use any of their branches in any borough–waits, pools, hoops, etc.

Renzo’s

Renzo’s is by far one of the top schools in NYC, if not the best, the only knock on it is that it 's abit pricey from what I here.