T Nation

NYC Micro Apartments

New York reveals plans for MORE micro-apartments averaging 400 square feet to deal with housing shortage
New York is planning to build more ‘micro-apartments’ on top of the 55 new units announced in January

Could any of you imagine living in one of these spaces, especially with a significant other?

[quote]therajraj wrote:
New York reveals plans for MORE micro-apartments averaging 400 square feet to deal with housing shortage
New York is planning to build more ‘micro-apartments’ on top of the 55 new units announced in January

Could any of you imagine living in one of these spaces, especially with a significant other?[/quote]

If I lived in NY I might not care all that much. There’s so much to do there that people don’t really spend a whole lot of time in their homes to begin with. It’s not like people sit around in their apartments all that much just bullshitting with each other like some Seinfeld episode.

I actually don’t think I would mind it… especially if I was living in NYC.

I have rented rooms before that were roughly 200 square feet( with a shared kitchen). Didn’t mind it.

Just to add - I actually think this is a really good idea. Myself personally, if it meant saving some money, wouldn’t mind it at all.

Look at the floor plans - if you’re a bachelor, is it really so bad ?

and like DB said, in NY, how much time are you spending in the place to begin with?

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Just to add - I actually think this is a really good idea. Myself personally, if it meant saving some money, wouldn’t mind it at all.

Look at the floor plans - if you’re a bachelor, is it really so bad ?

and like DB said, in NY, how much time are you spending in the place to begin with? [/quote]

Yeah, apartments in NY are nothing more than glorified storage units/bedrooms. They’re just a place to stash whatever shit you have that you can’t take with you to wherever you’re spending the day/evening.

Are you kidding me? Where do I sign up to buy one?

I used to live in one with a girlfriend who would sleep over 90% of the time

I really liked it, but I was out at other places most of the time, and would basically go there to shower, sleep, and sometimes eat/study/relax. I probably would’ve gotten sick of it if I was home more during the day

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Could any of you imagine living in one of these spaces, especially with a significant other?[/quote]

Looks like a few of the “studios” I lived in in Japan. I didn’t mind it.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Looks like a few of the “studios” I lived in in Japan. I didn’t mind it. [/quote]

Indeed!

If it were just me and the wife, I’d happily be in one of those.

Raj aren’t you from India? Some of your countrymen live in much smaller conditions.

I think the thing that would bother me with some of those would be having to endlessly mess with stuff. Pull my kitchen table out and then slide it back into it’s cunning slot in the countertop when I’m done, that sort of thing. I would be okay with a murphy bed, but that’s about as much rearranging of the space as I’d be willing to do day in, day out.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
Raj aren’t you from India? Some of your countrymen live in much smaller conditions. [/quote]

Yeah, until they collapse.

If single, I would love it honestly. For NYC anyways.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
Raj aren’t you from India? Some of your countrymen live in much smaller conditions. [/quote]

They do but not by choice

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
If single, I would love it honestly. For NYC anyways. [/quote]

Right. In the vid they said half of all adults in NYC are single.

I had a 600 square foot apt with a girlfriend for a few years and to be honest I’d have no issues with the smaller place. If it was just me it would be great, if it was me and a girlfriend I think it would be fine provided we both made sure to clean up after ourselves.

Honestly if something like that was available here at a great price I’d totally consider it.

The thing is, if I’m single and earning an average salary, it would probably be more economical for me to a) stay at home with the 'rents or b) flat with a couple of people.

If I’m in a relationship and it’s serious to the point of wanting to live together (but not yet married) then something like this may be too small but feasible nevertheless.

Not sure where how they consider 400sqft ‘micro’, as the one I live in is 372 and the other two are about 350’. I have a kitchen, bathroom, living room, and bed. Standard sized studio. Oh, and they cost as much as a 3 bedroom house in most parts of the country.

This low-income only thing is fucking stupid. So I get to not only pay for these assholes, but I’m not allowed to buy certain select (prime) real estate either. I hate this fucking city so goddamn much.

Those are the kinds of living spaces the powers-that-be would prefer we all have.

Youtube “Ann Bressington Exposes Agenda 21.” Ann is an Australian politician speaking out against this UN-approved plan.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Looks like a few of the “studios” I lived in in Japan. I didn’t mind it. [/quote]

x2. I lived in Japanese places so small that you barely had room for both your nunchucks and Bo-staff.

I think our notions of minimally-acceptable space are partly cultural and can be altered by living in a foreign country. It was initially an adjustment in Japan, having my toilet literally three dick-lengths away from where I cooked my meals, and retreating to the comforts of a single, multipurpose room at the end of the day, but you get used to it, and once you start thinking in a space-optimizing kind of way, it’s really not that bad.

I have a Swedish cousin who does extremely well with a large telecommunications company over there. He and his wife came over to Canada for a visit, and he could not get over the fact that my two retired parents live in a 2000 square foot house all by themselves. He considered it a colossal waste of space. He pulled up some photos of his newly-built house on facebook, and although it had really high-end fixtures, it was mostly multipurpose rooms and couldn’t have been more than 1000 sq/ft. He said that’s the way many Scandanavian homes are. Strangely, a fairly substantial amount of space was allocated for a sauna - apparently, that’s a non-negotiable