NYC Gym for Powerlifting

Hey All —

Hope this finds you well, and working hard. I’m looking for a good Gym to Powerlift and do some Olympic lifts. I teach for Equinox, but there equipment is mediocre, and I want to be able to use squat racks without dumbasses doing Curls and pullups on them …
Anyone have any recommendations …? Thank you!

Not a lot of options in Manhattan. There’s a Gold’s on 54th off broadway but the olympic lifts may be a hassle…nobody has space!

Queens, Brooklyn, and Long Island have many more places. You just have to search and try them out, unfortunately good old Iron gyms are like dinosaurs these days.

Thanks Hara … Yeah, I’ve been to Golds and they’re slowly getting rid of all their old (And GOOD!!!) equipment …

There’s also Powerhouse in the Bronx, along with Star Fitness. In Manhattan you can try Steel Gym or 19th Street Gym. I think 19th Street changed to Complete Body and Spa, but the last time I went all of the old equipment was still there.

Cable you’re brilliant! I had to teach a class at the 19th street gym and hated the class!!! I think I had a mental block of the place because the class was so terrible! I’ll check it out!!!

I just moved to NYC for school - its been a huge pain to find a decent place to lift.

I’m going to check out the 19th st place as well - it seems like it might be what I’m looking for - albeit a bit expensive compared to what I’m used to.

Global Strongman Gym at Suite 203, 214 W 29th St, New York, NY is powerlifting friendly. Only place I would live in midtown, or garment district, or whatever the heck they call that neighborhood

I’m headed to NYC for work in a couple of weeks, so this thread bump was timely. Anybody know if Global Strongman has squat racks and good benches?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Global Strongman Gym at Suite 203, 214 W 29th St, New York, NY is powerlifting friendly. Only place I would live in midtown, or garment district, or whatever the heck they call that neighborhood[/quote]

Wow, I need to go check this place out…it’s 3 blocks from my office

^ it has a decent squat rack and bench., olympic lifting friendly, too.

Hey, I know this is a while after you posted but I actually just opened an Olympic weightlifting/powerlifting gym in LIC, NY. I had the same problem as you for many years and decided I’d just create it so check it out if you’d like. Google JDI Barbell.