NYC Council Votes to Ban Weight Discrimination

Woah, sorry for the rant. Didn’t realize how long my post was, haha.

That was a pretty rare price and the house was small, old, and in bad condition. That’s not common.

I don’t live on a reservation. I live in northeastern SD (I’m not too concerned about sharing my location), actually less than two hours from your state. There are 9 reservations in SD, 4 on the east side, 5 on the west side. The western ones are generally more poor. Two of them, Pine Ridge and Rosebud (which I think is where your friend is?) are in southwestern SD, pretty far away from me. Those are the two that have been among the poorest (sometimes reaching #1) counties in the country for a long time, and the ones that have more crime - they are along the drive up from Denver so drugs tend to pass through these towns more frequently on their way to the northern states.

I’ve seen you say this a few times, and honestly gotta say that I’ve never once felt this way. I’m not saying this in a “You’re racist” way or something, haha, but I think this stuff gets overblow a lot. If you’re on a western SD reservation at night (eastern ones are closer to cities and interstates), chances are you’re only the person for 20+ miles around. I’d be more afraid of the weather and wildlife than the people if I broke down at night. Especially being a dude. People aren’t just being murdered left and right. And I didn’t grow up or ever live on a reservation, so it’s not like I feel more comfortable just because I’m “from there.”

These are the kinds of things I’d worry more about. Vandalism, theft, stuff like that. Not so much violent crime. It does exist for sure, and maybe at higher rates than in other places, but I’ve been stranded on the side of a rez highway (with a few white friends in tow) a few times and have either been passed by or given a ride by whoever happened to be out on the road at the same time.

I don’t either. The poorest ones are so rural. No one wants to live there, simply because there’s not anything there. And the population is low and quite spread out, so there’s not much incentive for people to open a business if half of their potential customers live 50 miles away, and maybe don’t even own a car.

A lot of people would like to basically cut ties with the government. The current form of tribal governments was mostly established in the 1920s-40s by certain progressives, and many feel that it made things worse for Indians than if they’d been left to their own devices. In fact, in many cases, it did. When they were put on reservations, they were told they had to farm and ranch, so they did, and some surprised the government at how well they did at it. Once they realized that you could ranch on the land, they opened it back up to buyers and between that and the Great Depression, a lot of Indians lost what they’d managed to build. Then once the government realized that tribal land was some of the richest mineral and oil land in the country (I think Pine Ridge has a ton of uranium), that was extra incentive to get involved with Indian affairs.

So yeah, like I said, a lot of people are wishing the government had just left them alone a century ago to figure things out on their own. Things would probably be better off today if they had.

@BrickHead - nothing to really say in response to your last reply to me, but I liked it and agreed with it. I’m all for starting families at young ages but you’re right, that is getting harder to do. Not impossible - I remember sitting in class and having some classmate argue about how it’s basically impossible to be a college student, work fulltime, and have a kid, not realizing that I, the same age as him, was doing exactly that. I think a lot of people just don’t want to grow up and have responsibilities. But it is harder to get going.

3 Likes

This feeling was while going through one of the small towns. Lots of looks from the locals.

You are right, probably safe. Just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Similar to being in a rough neighborhood in Minneapolis (which I’d also likely be safe in).

1 Like

It happened in NYC. And she, a professor, trashed a student’s display at Hunter College in Manhattan.

Good post! Hence I started the Balkanization thread. I predict the federal government, spreading itself so thin, will eventually peter-out, and will not have anything left to control how people associate. But things will get worse before they get better.

1 Like

Apparently she’s been charged with “harassment and menacing” charges … she deserves worse imo … she brandished a blade to a man’s neck

1 Like

NYC has very strict knife laws. I’m surprised she wasn’t given a weapon charge.

1 Like

So…pretty crazy. But if you come out of your house and put a knife up to someone’s neck for knocking on “your” door in most places…I doubt that person is going to have much legal trouble from shooting “you.”

1 Like

@jshaving @mnben87

I came across this screenshot on Twitter. Like I said, boomers telling young people to stop buying Starbucks and to “work harder” is asinine.

9 Likes

A lot worse!

We shall see what punishment is given to her. I predict a fine and a brief stay in jail, if that.

Its NYC nothing will happen to her

now if she was white or asian, then there would be protests with sharpton and all the other clowns demanding justice

I make a pretty good salary and I am still living paycheck to paycheck supporting my family of 5 on sole income and still paying back undergraduate loans.

I bought my house a few years ago and wouldn’t be able to afford it now. I could sell it for a profit but I can’t touch any similar house I would want for less than 650K. (And that’s about a 2000 sq ft house here with no basement)

The wealth gap is definitely increasing. I honestly don’t know how folks making the average American salary are getting by.

3 Likes

I have said this for quite some time.

One thing that has really stuck out to me is the cost of cars / trucks. Who the fuck is buying all of these things with what they cost? There can’t be that many people that can afford $1,000 - $1,500+ car notes.

5 Likes

I think my car payment is too high at half of that.

1 Like

Car loans are going for 7 to 10 years now

I have friends / family that I feel empathy for in the current economy. They didn’t or couldn’t buy a house when I did.

4 of my friends recently bought houses. They are all a bit younger than me (35). They range from 27 to 31. These guys all achievers. They make good money. 3 of them have wives or are engaged (so dual income). At the same time, housing costs for them are so much more than for me. I refinanced at 2.87% on a 15 year mortgage 7 years ago with a balance of $125K, I owe about $70K on it now. These guys all bought houses over $400K at interest rates over 6% with 30 year mortgages.

It seems like a boat anchor around them. The mortgage payment is usually the largest monthly expense, and theirs are 3X what mine is. On top of that, I have 8 years left, they have 30.

I think these guys will be fine, but they are also in the top ~90% for income (for their ages), and they are smart guys (two are engineers, one is in finance, and the other does software stuff). What about the all the other people out there? I think rent is going to go up soon (because of interest rates). I think a lot of people will be house or rent poor soon.

1 Like

It’s as if the truck manufacturers are targeting luxury car buyers. I can’t imagine spending 80k on a pickup and using it as a truck.

1 Like

Until they have children.

1 Like

Where i am at, rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is about 2200, 2 bedroom is about 3000 a month

2 Likes

They are. Rents in Long Island for ordinary small apartments are $3,000 per month.

My mom’s small garden apartment in Little Neck, Queens, nothing special at all, is now going for $390,000!

1 Like

Most of the practical cars have been discontinued. It is tough to buy a sub compact or compact hatchback, or wagon.

I suppose they make what people are buying. Sad for me though because I like the wagons. At least where I am at, a lot of people have this weird belief that they need something with AWD since it snows here. They also need the SUV or truck to get over the snow. Do they not see the people in the Honda Fits getting around in the snow just fine? IDK where these beliefs come from? Marketing perhaps? Snow tires and front wheel drive will usually beat AWD and all seasons anyways.

I have strong opinions about vehicles. They are a vehicle to being poor for a lot of people.

That’s more than in the Twin Cities (unless a downtown location). Two bedrooms go for $1600-$2200 roughly in the burbs.

Before the housing inflation, most people had very little surplus income. $36K a year for something you don’t own is crazy. That is $36K that you pay for with taxed income. You’d be feeling poor making $100K a year salary.

I read more people are relying on credit cards to make things work. That can’t last forever though. I think most people are feeling squeezed.

3 Likes