T Nation

NY Times and Slate Praise Olympic Lifting

From Slate Online:

“It is true that many Olympic events are similarly dramatic. But there is something pure and clean about the physical act at the center of weightlifting that is incredibly satisfying. You can’t squeak by with a victory on points, outlast the clock, or bribe the referees. (You can cheat by taking performance-enhancing drugs, but let’s leave that aside for now.) Unlike in gymnastics, there is no such thing as scoring a 14.575.”

and the NYT:

[quote]knutes101 wrote:
From Slate Online:

“It is true that many Olympic events are similarly dramatic. But there is something pure and clean about the physical act at the center of weightlifting that is incredibly satisfying. You can’t squeak by with a victory on points, outlast the clock, or bribe the referees. (You can cheat by taking performance-enhancing drugs, but let’s leave that aside for now.) Unlike in gymnastics, there is no such thing as scoring a 14.575.”

and the NYT:

[/quote]

Thanks for the post. I was genuinely, and pleasantly, surprised to see weightlifting get its due from those two publications. The Slate piece was particularly good.

Those clicking the link should note that the article on weightlifting is on page of Tim Wu’s journal.

[quote]

Those clicking the link should note that the article on weightlifting is on page of Tim Wu’s journal.[/quote]

I just ran across the Slate article on my own accord. Definitely good writing.

BTW, what’s special about Tim Wu?

[quote]Most Major wrote:

BTW, what’s special about Tim Wu?[/quote]

When in doubt, wikipedia:

Another great one in The Times: