NY State Powerlifting Champion

Beef,

Most High School feds do not allow babypowder - I know for sure that Texas does not. But he would have never been allowed on the platform with the shorts on either.

Beef is right ditch the shorts - they are making it harder on you to pull the weight.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:

Actually, no need to have a boggled mind as this is very typical of large HS federations. The rule was set to help encourage financially disadvantaged upcoming lifters and school districts.

The reason being that, believe it or not, at a lot of these high schools, one can actually letter in PL, and they have large teams.

It becomes financially prohibitive for the school to provide this level of gear, and certainly not all students can afford new bench shirts.

Therefore not allowing bench shirts kind of levels the playing field, in particular as it relates to new lifters.

If a lifter wants to compete in a shirt, all they have to do is enter an open meet.

You may now remove your tin foil helmet.
[/quote]

A fair point, but the dig at the end was un-necessary, I was boggled not to the disallowance of gear, which would make sense, but why BENCH SHIRTs weren’t allowed but the dude was allowed to wear a very expensive Metal Squat suit.

Yeah squat suits are more common but there’s still a big difference between an Inzer Z-Suit and a Metal suit. Just like there’s a ton of difference between the kids that still end up wearing singlets and the kids wearing squat suits.

It just seems arbitrary to allow some gear but not all. If one was really trying to “level the playing field” it should have been belt/wraps.

Ghost22:

I was just busting your balls at the end. Sorry if you took offense.

It was in response to your comment about the same people running these meets as banned protein. It just seemed a little paranoid.

For the most part, your statement could not be further from the truth. Most of these guys involved at the HS level have a love for the sport and want nothing more than to see it grow. Most of these meets are huge undertakings with, sometimes, hundreds of lifters. Nobody is taking this lightly.

If it bothers you that much, start a HS fed in your state and allow bench shirts, or make it RAW.

Problem solved.

Baby powder isn’t allowed because it might get mixed with the chalk, or might get get on the platform or something like that. The next meet I’m going to does allow bench shirts so I may get one because I’m under the impression the guys at my gym are looking for a national meet to send me to.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Ghost22:

I was just busting your balls at the end. Sorry if you took offense.

It was in response to your comment about the same people running these meets as banned protein. It just seemed a little paranoid.

For the most part, your statement could not be further from the truth. Most of these guys involved at the HS level have a love for the sport and want nothing more than to see it grow. Most of these meets are huge undertakings with, sometimes, hundreds of lifters. Nobody is taking this lightly.

If it bothers you that much, start a HS fed in your state and allow bench shirts, or make it RAW.

Problem solved.

[/quote]

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if you were realling cutting or if you it was supposed to be humorous, there’s no vocal inflection in text.

I’m all for as much inclusion as possible.

And the raw thing isn’t a big issue for me, I lift with gear but I think a bench shirt is as important for safety’s sake at heavy weight as a squat suit.

And Andy, get into a bench shirt and get used to it ASAP.

USAPL High School Nationals start on the 31st of March and Junior Nationals are June 17th.

[quote]andy bumphren wrote:
Baby powder isn’t allowed because it might get mixed with the chalk, or might get get on the platform or something like that. The next meet I’m going to does allow bench shirts so I may get one because I’m under the impression the guys at my gym are looking for a national meet to send me to.[/quote]

An alternative to baby powder would be getting a spray bottle and misting your thighs with water. Just have someone else do it and dont get it on your hands!

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if you were realling cutting or if you it was supposed to be humorous, there’s no vocal inflection in text.

I’m all for as much inclusion as possible.

And the raw thing isn’t a big issue for me, I lift with gear but I think a bench shirt is as important for safety’s sake at heavy weight as a squat suit.

And Andy, get into a bench shirt and get used to it ASAP.

USAPL High School Nationals start on the 31st of March and Junior Nationals are June 17th. [/quote]

That’s cool.

Most importantly, congrats Andy, you have a great future ahead of you.

Sorry for the hijack.

Well I guess I’m not in time for HS nationals and I’d probably get crushed at juniors… maybe theres an Ipf championship coming up

I just checked I miss the cut off date for the sub-junior world championships by about two weeks. They’re in Bulgaria this anyway. My total would of been #2 according to their site… I’m not sure if that’s right because first place totalled 1590 or so and then second was 1258…

Andy:

You have to qualify for HS Nats, and Teen/Jr. Nationals at a USAPL sanctioned meet.

You hit the qualifier comfortably, but I assume your HS fed is not sanctioned as typically they are not, because of the added cost of membership.

Teen/Jr. Nats is in Racine, WI this year, and the entry deadline is end of May.

You still have time to enter a sanctioned meet, if you have not already, and get a qualifier. The boys in WI run solid meets, so it should be a good one.

You have to be nominated for a World event which is typically accomplished by achieving the hightest total at the three combined customary qualifying meets. (HS Nats, Jr. Nats or Collegiates.) You could accomplish this at Teen/Jr. Nats.

In all likelihood, you will run up against some tough competition, but I think you have a shot at a top 3 finish at Teen/Jrs.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

We are headed down to HS Nats in two weeks. It is a fun event. You should really consider it next year.

Keep hammering!

Thanks for the info. I’ve been lifting at school for track so I haven’t talked to anyone who would know what meets I should be at. Maybe I’ll figure out the bench shirt for this meet coming up in April then I’ll have enough practice for the Nationals.