NY/NJ Area Training Meetup Thread

If it’s this Sunday at 11:30, I could make it down! I’ll know for sure this afternoon, sadly I spent all my money on food and supplements and not a car so it comes down to my girlfriends decision :slight_smile: as a reminder…she is quite the lifter haha (lets say my motivation for getting back into the gym during community college was when she texted me her 405lb 1RM in the squat)

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I don’t walk around with single digit bodyfat and a really deep tan (and shine) year round :)[/quote]
True enough. We all saw those videos of the pasty, emaciated version of you in Colorado. :wink:

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
If it’s this Sunday at 11:30, I could make it down![/quote]
The more, the merrier… and by “merry”, of course I mean the deep burning muscular agony earned with sweat that can only be alleviated by the satisfaction of knowing that pain caused by passion will lead to progress.

:slight_smile:

But, yeah, try to swing by. That’d be cool.

FYI, I’ll be doing back and biceps.

[quote]thoughts1053 wrote:
FYI, I’ll be doing back and biceps.[/quote]

Cool same here

No go for me :X Have a good workout and meal tomorrow guys! I tried to check out public transport down there and it’s just to crazy for me haha

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
No go for me :X Have a good workout and meal tomorrow guys! I tried to check out public transport down there and it’s just to crazy for me haha[/quote]

Hmm if you’re coming from the city you will need to get to penn station, then take the port jefferson line which, I THINK not 100% sure, would stop at Westbury, assuming it’s not an ‘express’ train or something like that.

Then i think the gym is only a couple blocks from the westbury train station

I’m coming from Rockland county so I still have to get into the city which was the main problem. Learned quite a bit for any future adventures though, can’t say I do much traveling

Well, Cat just told me that she’s down for coming along, so we’ll have us a Champion Figure competitor in the mix (and let me just say that she can eat as well!)

S

Next one I can possibly do is the weekend of the 20th…

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
I’m coming from Rockland county so I still have to get into the city which was the main problem. Learned quite a bit for any future adventures though, can’t say I do much traveling [/quote]

No worries man, next time maybe

Stu, i got my own FINiBARs this time so i won’t have to steal from your stash lol

I’m ready to train hard after i had a good squat day on friday

Also, cool to know cat’s going to be joining us

Sorry I couldn’t make it yesterday guys. I was/am sick. What I miss?

[quote]thoughts1053 wrote:
Sorry I couldn’t make it yesterday guys. I was/am sick. What I miss?[/quote]

Yeah Sorry to hear about that, get well soon

To say i’m sore from yesterday would be an understatement… Me Stu and Chris did back and bi’s, while Cat did Chest and Tri’s I believe. After destroying our back’s with countless sets of BB rows (Which was after I deadlifted and Chris and Stu did a load of pulldowns and pre-exhaust work) we went to hit our bi’s.

Chris couldn’t make it unfortunately to Famous daves so it was just me Cat and Stu. With each of us inhaling our main courses, and stu his appetizer as well, we thought about how much you would be eating if you were there lol

Small gathering but was a good time and training session. Hopefully you can make another one, we still havent benn able to hit the same body part together lol

Yep, thoughts, we heard you came down with something. Hope it’s gone just as fast. Stomach bugs suck.

[quote]parsley wrote:
To say i’m sore from yesterday would be an understatement[/quote]
Ha. No doubt, man. The bajillion sets of pulldowns even have my abs sore.

It’s still a bit blurry, but for those who couldn’t attend the mayhem, I think it was something like:
6 or 7 sets of front pulldowns
4 or 5 sets of stiff-arm rope pulldowns
5 or 6 sets of close neutral-grip pulldowns
4 or 5 sets of barbell rows
2 or 3 sets of reverse-grip barbell rows
3 or 4 sets of hyperextensions
6 or 7 sets of incline dumbbell curls
3 or 4 sets of barbell curls

It was hard keeping track of exactly what was what, since we were alternating sets with each other. I just did a set anytime Stu did one. Silly me, I forgot he is something beyond mortal man. Parsley’s no slouch either. Definitely off to a nice start with a great foundation for a young dude.

And yeah, I couldn’t make it to the after-party “snack”, but it would be cool to get to another group session sometime.

Thanks for the compliments Chris, and it would definitely be awesome if you could join in for the training and feast afterward some other time. I know we got some other dates up but as i was talking to Stu after you left we might try to get to Bev’s Powerhouse in syosset a couple more times.

Yeah, small gathering, but always fun training with like minded folks, and when I’m not in contest mode, I certainly don’t mind chit chatting and answering questions.

The gym (Sparta Gym in Westbury) was one of the best equipped and maintained gyms I’ve ever trained in. Very well stocked (4-5 flat benches, 4-5 incline benches at least 3 pulldown/pulley stations, DBs to at least 200s…), everything well kept, clean, clients put whatever they used away after their sets (something you’d never see at my usual gym), and just a friendly and serious atmosphere. I’d definitely go back.

What Parsley and I were discussing afterward how difficult it is to get a larger turnout with these little weekend gatherings, especially as people have to travel and worry about personal obligations. I had the thought that maybe instead of picking a bunch of smaller gyms in different people’s neighborhoods every week or so, we should just pick a date at least a month in advance, and gather at a gym with more of a history or signifigance to it (ie. Bev Francis’s). Maybe that would allow for a larger congregation?

Any thoughts on that?

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Yeah, small gathering, but always fun training with like minded folks, and when I’m not in contest mode, I certainly don’t mind chit chatting and answering questions.

The gym (Sparta Gym in Westbury) was one of the best equipped and maintained gyms I’ve ever trained in. Very well stocked (4-5 flat benches, 4-5 incline benches at least 3 pulldown/pulley stations, DBs to at least 200s…), everything well kept, clean, clients put whatever they used away after their sets (something you’d never see at my usual gym), and just a friendly and serious atmosphere. I’d definitely go back.

What Parsley and I were discussing afterward how difficult it is to get a larger turnout with these little weekend gatherings, especially as people have to travel and worry about personal obligations. I had the thought that maybe instead of picking a bunch of smaller gyms in different people’s neighborhoods every week or so, we should just pick a date at least a month in advance, and gather at a gym with more of a history or signifigance to it (ie. Bev Francis’s). Maybe that would allow for a larger congregation?

Any thoughts on that?

S[/quote]

I tend to agree.

I have to get it on the calendar at least 3 weeks in advance to make it stick.

Now that i think about it, if we set a couple dates that were further in the future people who are working those days may be able to get off since they would have enough notice to let their employers know, or to find someone to cover for them.

My sched. changes every week based on business needs… but I’m keeping track!

Sounds like a good plan. A bit longer heads-up would/should lend itself to people being better able to schedule it. Some suggested dates:

Steve Reeves’ birthday - Jan 21
Branch Warren’s b’day - Feb 28
Lee Labrada’s b’day - March 8
Dorian’s b’day - April 19
Coleman’s b’day - May 13
Zane’s b’day - June 28
Arnold’s b’day - July 30
Franco’s b’day - Aug 7 (Holy crap. I guess our recent session was for Franco. We did train back, after all.)
Shawn Ray’s b’day - Sept 9
Larry Scott’s b’day - Oct 12
Lee Haney’s b’day - Nov 11
Greg Kovacs b’day - Dec 16

That covers the year. Ta-da.
(Okay, I guess I’m mostly joking, but setting up maybe 3 or 4 sessions over the course of a few months at a time would probably be a good idea.)