NY/NJ Area Training Meetup Thread

I’ll see if I can make it. I’ve finally been able to get back to training and I figure it’d help to be around like minded associates.

Would love to make it, but not this time!

Ugh. I’ll be in Florida for my nephew’s baptism that weekend.

Make sure you guys have a good one.

Sorry that you few guys won’t be able to make it. It’s always a good time. Hopefully we can do more in the future, seeing as so many folks from this site live in the NY/NJ area. If anyone has plans of dropping by, just shoot me a PM and I’ll make sure everything’s squared away.

On a side note, THOUGHTS1053 and myself are going to be attending the Mr. America contest in Jersey the following week (4/28), so if anyone’s down to see a great amateur show, feel free to join us!

S

Will try and make the Garden City meet up. Getting back into training seriously after having to go easy, take a lot of time off for around 1.5 months due to school and family and stuff

I can’t make it that day, have to run an expo… next time for sure. Still haven’t been to one! WTF.

Looks like Heather and I will most likely be able to make it up in May. I’m thinking another Saturday will work best. How does May 19th sound? We need to get as many people out as possible!

I don’t think Sat May 19th should be a problem, of course I’ll have to check with the (future) Mrs Mighty :slight_smile:

Stu, What are the details for Mr. America …? If I cant make it out to Garden City (I live in Manhattan and teach all morning until about 1) I want to try to out to Jersey and see the Show.

Ben

[quote]fitnessben7500 wrote:
Stu, What are the details for Mr. America …? If I cant make it out to Garden City (I live in Manhattan and teach all morning until about 1) I want to try to out to Jersey and see the Show.

Ben[/quote]
Here’s the flier for the Mr. America contest. As both THOUGHTS1053 (Jon) and myself are in the middle of contest preps, we’re going to have to run off in between prejudging and the evening show to get our training in (Figure promoter Bob Bonham’s gym should be near enough).

Should be a great show this year. There are actually a few different federation shows on that date, and I’d love nothing more than to be able to support everyone I know, comeptitors, promoters etc (I was even asked to Judge the very first DFAC contest), but I figure as a fairly new WNBF guy, and the competitor a lot of people will recognize from last year’s contest, that I should show up to this year’s rendition.

Besides, Bonham’s always been a good guy to me, letting me train with friends (other T-Nation folks) whenever I’m in town :slight_smile:

S

what time on sat?

I’m guessing about 1:00 if that’s cool with everyone involved. I know I’ll be getting up early to do my morning cardio, eat a meal or two, run to the bank and grab a haircut (wouldn’t wanna look all shaggy in case we grab some videos!)

S

Well, it wasn’t one of our larger turnouts, but myself, Thoughts1053 (Jon), his girl, Cat (My girl!), Parsley, Sanglant, and one of my two brothers (the one who won the light heavies and a USBF Pro card in his first show last year) all came out to train this morning. It seemed the majority of us were doing back and biceps of differing programs, and I was able to nab a few quick clips here and there. (Nothing ground breaking, but a nice peak at my new gym!)

One of the gym’s resident trainers, and a friend of mine made quick buddies with Jon’s girl, and we’re thinking she may possibly be contemplating a little foray from figure competition to powerlifting in the future. The PT in question, my friend Sin, is a pretty petite Asian girl who will pull or press more than most wannabes or delusional men in the gym on any given night! Training around her can be both inspiring and humbling at the same time :slight_smile:

S

It was definitely a good time. Even though I’ve been to a few of these meet-ups already, Stu and I never had a chance to train together. Now I truly know what high volume is. We did about 8-10 working sets of each exercise, lol.

On another note, going to that gym is truly motivating. There are a bunch of competitors and overall just big guys there. The girl Sin made my jaw drop as she told us that she was able to squat 325 and deadlift 350 at a bodyweight of 120.

[quote]thoughts1053 wrote:
It was definitely a good time. Even though I’ve been to a few of these meet-ups already, Stu and I never had a chance to train together. Now I truly know what high volume is. We did about 8-10 working sets of each exercise, lol.[/quote]

Now with the soreness today i can tell no muscle in my back was left untrained

BTW nice video Stu

Thanks man. Wish I could have gotten more shots, but with the fun social atmosphere, and remembering to bust my ass with an actual workout, I didn’t have as many opportunities as I would have liked. Maybe next time I’ll be able to talk someone into just manning the camera the whole time :slight_smile:

S

Nice video! For some reason I couldn’t see it coming in here from my hub, so I backed out and went in through the bodybuilding forum from the top. Hmm

This is awsum btw, shame I’m over in the UK because this would be the sort of thing I’d like to get involved with. I imagine training with a group of like minded people is pretty motivational. Look forward to seeing some proper edited videos with post workout buffet Armageddon!!

So I chances are I am moving to PA in December/January after I graduate, because my fiancee just landed her dream job there. So, it looks like I will be able to start making a lot more of these meetups :smiley: