275x10
275x10
275x10
275x10
275x10

CONDITION
Swim Sprints - 15 minutes

NOTES
I had to go back to reread the Beefcake training to make sure I am doing it right. Didn’t realize that the 5x10 is at FSL per week! Shit’s about to get tough!!!

4 Likes

This is probably the most important revelation for any lifter past the early intermediate stage. There is literally zero reason to ever even attempt to raise your ceiling if you aren’t a competitive athlete. If your floor is consistently raising, you’re consistently getting stronger with minimal injuries. That’s why things like 5/3/1 are great for people who don’t compete and who do compete because it can be altered to fit either need. Good on you for running an actual program. Excited to see your progress skyrocket that much more than it already has.

5 Likes

Yep, his title choice was on point.

There are still quite a few variations I would like to try in there. I really enjoyed SVR II when I ran it at the beginning of this year.

2 Likes

Thanks man! For sure though, I completely agree. So far I’m having fun running it!

Me too man. I’ll do this BBB Beefcake for 12 weeks and then reassess from there.

I’m wondering how long should one stick to a template? Like should I spend 6-8 cycles on this? I was looking in the book and for the BBB FSL he basically says he plans out 10-12 cycles in advance.

5/3/1 Beefcake Training
CYCLE 1 - WEEK 1 - BENCH PRESS DAY

BENCH PRESS (ss: DB Row, Ab Wheel)
185x5
205x5
225x16

OH PRESS (ss: T-Bar Row, Walking Lunges, Curls)
125x10
125x10
125x10
125x10
125x10

CONDITION
Sprints - 5 @ 95%

NOTES
Week 1 in the books! Now time to enjoy the weekend and do about 100lbs of laundry lol. Family life is not how I expected it to be sometimes haha

Everyone enjoy your weekend and get out and run or do something physical!

5 Likes

Dude, you got crazy amounts stronger since I left. What kind of program have you been following?

1 Like

The real secret to getting gains

1 Like

Thanks man. Program??? What’s a program?? HAHA!

No real program man, I honestly just didn’t miss days in the gym, ate pretty well overall, and just focused once I was at the gym on the money exercises. Just a heavy dosage of 5x5, 5x10, 10x3. In my last 2 years of lifting, I’ve only TRULY followed one program and that was Building The Monolith and that was only for 6 weeks. Now I’m doing 5/3/1 BBB Beefcake. So far I like it!

But in all honesty, I just listened to all the advice given here to me. Just put my head down, eat and fucking put in work at the gym. Didn’t over think it. That’s why I honestly believe for a recreational lifter programs are overrated. If you go in and lift and eat for your goals you’ll get strong. You can switch the routine every week if you wanted. Is it optimal? Absolutely not. But just showing up and lifting with intensity and focus for months at a time is enough.

3 Likes

5/3/1 Beefcake Training
CYCLE 1 - WEEK 2 - SQUAT DAY

BACK SQUAT (ss: Chin-Ups - 50)
345x5
375x5
395x10

DEADLIFT (ss: Dips - 50)
275x10
275x10
275x10
275x10
275x10

CONDITIONING CIRCUIT
3 ROUNDS (Rest 2 min)
Sprint 50 yards
Burpees x 10
Back Flip x 3
Front Flip x 3
Push My Honda Accord x 100 feet
Push Ups x 10

NOTES
Fuck high rep deadlifts. All they make me wanna do is vomit haha!

1 Like

Awesome.

2 Likes

Conditioning is one thing that programming is not necessary. Just do some shit that has you out of breath haha!

1 Like

I only follow programs because I lack the discipline to work smart without them. And because rep PRs make me work harder. I know myself well enough to know that I could never do someone else’s program as written for any length of time.

2 Likes

That is one thing that I DO love about 531. The rep PRs are fun and gives you something “fun” to look forward to in training.

1 Like

Training is not fun, not even going to pretend it is, but the rep PR’s keep me working hard and give me the satisfaction of achievement to go with it. They are definitely, in no way, fun. Especially squats.

Also, apologies, I have no idea how to quote on my phone so you guys will just have to guess which post I’m replying to.

2 Likes

Ahh man I love training lol. I hate getting to the gym, but once I feel the barbell in my hands it’s like a switch goes off.

I think I like the adrenaline rush / fight or flight response I get from squatting for reps.

But I agree that the PR sets give me a lot of satisfaction especially with the strength levels I have now.

But for me lifting is very therapeutic. I release all my anger at the gym. Whenever I lift I have this “controlled rage” that I unleash with each rep. It’s funny when I’m at the gym I always see people get turnt, hyped, and all sorts of other shit. But I am a very quiet lifter. I do make a Klokov face before lifting (if you watch any of his videos, you see he scowls right before lifting). I’ve had some random people make comments to me about how quiet I am for someone who pushes some heavy weights (at least for the average gym goer).

Fuark Nutty made my day and made me laugh well done.

High rep DL sucks, damn man next week is going to be rough man.

I love to go lifting too, and I too love the rep PR’s damn man… haven’t done them in 8 month or so. Have written myself a new program there’s no rep PR’s as well. Might switch back to Jims work after all, I really do like it.

3 Likes

5/3/1 Beefcake Training
CYCLE 1 - WEEK 2 - OH PRESS DAY

OH PRESS (ss: Rows, Abs)
145x5
165x5
185x9 (PR i think??)

BENCH PRESS (ss: Rows, Split Squats)
185x10
185x10
185x10
185x10
185x10

CONDITION
Jump Rope - 500 skips
Curls - 100

NOTES
Chest is starting to feel super pumped after the 5x10 but it’s ok. I always make sure to do shoulder dislocates and really stretch out my upper body after benching for this volume.

I’m so use to full body that these sessions feel a bit “easier” in a certain way. But dedicating more volume to upper/lower my body seems to be really responding to it. It’s only been a week and 2 days, but I feel like my shoulders have already gotten thicker lol.

4 Likes

[quote]
Ahh man I love training lol. I hate getting to the gym, but once I feel the barbell in my hands it’s like a switch goes off.

I think I like the adrenaline rush / fight or flight response I get from squatting for reps.[/quote]
I genuinely do not enjoy training, particularly high rep squats. My favourite part is when I finish and think “thank christ that fucking thing is off my back, now time to get the floor away from my face”

I genuinely don’t think I could ever train consistently without some form of PR sets. Tangible proof that I’ve got better is literally the only reason I set foot in the gym

[quote]
But for me lifting is very therapeutic. I release all my anger at the gym. Whenever I lift I have this “controlled rage” that I unleash with each rep. It’s funny when I’m at the gym I always see people get turnt, hyped, and all sorts of other shit. But I am a very quiet lifter. I do make a Klokov face before lifting (if you watch any of his videos, you see he scowls right before lifting).[/quote]
I’m pretty quiet normally, maybe a bit of an explosion of breathe at the end of some higher rep squat work.You can tell when my energy levels are up though, I start pacing between sets

1 Like

Damn it Nutty, I lose track of your log for a few months, A FEW MONTHS, come back and see you’re pushing crazy numbers. Seriously man these are some awesome lifts, not gonna lose track of this again. Can’t wait to see you hit your numbers.

1 Like

HAHA! Trust me, I am happy to have the barbell off my back or front at that point. Deadlifts put me to bed, but squats make me feel a way that nothing else can.

Lol, thanks man! My numbers are nothing crazy at all. For the average gym goer they are pretty good, but for any competitive athlete they are honestly really nothing extraordinary. But I do appreciate the compliment!

If I can maintain these numbers for the rest of my life I’d be a happy man:

Back Squat / Front Squat - 405x5-10
Deadlift - 405x10-20
OH Press - 185x10-20
Chin-Ups / Rows - a shit ton
1 Mile Run - 5-6 minutes / 12-14 second 100M

1 Like