T Nation

Nutty Is Finally Going to Follow a Program (5/3/1 BBB Beefcake)

You are STILL using percentages: the difference is simply you don’t know WHAT percentage you are using.

I don’t really see an advantage there.

Thanks guys! I appreciate everyone responses!

@flipcollar - I think you’re right man. I should just give 5/3/1 an honest run.
@MarkKO - I looked up the program, that looks good. I think I’m going to do BBB, never really done a high volume/high rep type program, so I think it would be a nice change of pace.
@twojarslave - You right man! I created my own excel sheet again and it’s super easy. I guess the percentages are not as tedious as I thought once the program is setup.
@T3hPwnisher - You are right man. I’m going to just run the program the way it’s designed to run. I did BTM without the percentages and ball parked it and it worked well, but I should give Wendler’s program an honest run to reap all the benefits.

After looking through forever and online, I know what I want to do. I’m going to do the 531 BBB Beefcake Training.

MONDAY
Back Squat - 531
Deadlift - 5x10
Dips, Chin-Ups - 50

TUESDAY
Press - 531
Bench Press - 5x10 / Rows - 5x10
Abs, Split Squats - 50

THURSDAY
Deadlift - 531
Back Squat - 5x10
Dips, Face Pulls - 50/100

FRIDAY
Bench Press - 531
OH Press - 5x10 / Rows - 5x10
Abs, Lunges - 50

I’m going to use the following training maxes. I’m doing weights that I can hit for a set of 5 reps on any given day no matter what with my current strength levels.

TRAINING MAXES
Back Squat - 405
Deadlift - 405
OH Press - 185
Bench Press - 255

So I never really want to try to squat or deadlift more than 405, it’s good enough for me, so I will be pushing the reps on these every time I have to do 405. If I can get to 405x20 on both, I’d be a happy man.

I’ve been looking at BBB for a long time and today’s workout was basically BBB without really knowing it, so it must be fate.

I’ll chime in as well, a bit late but hope you’ll be all right with that. I love Jim’s work, but I’ve strayed away from it for almost a year.

Jim says this all the time, and everybody (or many) are putting that 5RM way to high.
You’ve done the right thing.

There are many online calculators that can work your weights out. So picking the right weight isn’t that difficult. (just round DOWN to the nearest possible weight)

Jim says in the beefcake and honestly in all his programming to do BBB with the same lift as the main lift.
Squat 531 - squat 5 x 10

I think he refers to strong lifters (like you). Because you strong guys need more than two days to recover from a lift, or because your nervous system is primed and BBB triggers muscle growth better.

BUT I think I would do as you do, and I would take the main lift to an AMRAP with one or two reps in reserve or a RPE of 8.

When I ran 531 I figured out the weights for the first cycle and as you laid out just added weight for the next. That was maybe, maybe not a mistake. But it was easy and I still would follow Jims slow steady progress.

You’ve just pointed me to a program I might be doing next year. Another shiny object.

Good luck with the BBB beefcake, I’ll watch and learn through your log.

So are we taking bets on how long Nutty sticks with this program/log title? I’m thinking an over/under of 5 logged workouts is a pretty good betting point. I’ll take the under :wink:

Sounds good man! I can’t only squat once a week lol. My rhythm changes if I don’t do it at least twice. Plus I want to make it a little less boring lol.

Watch me man! I’m going to do a full 12 weeks of this program. 4 cycles!

BENCH PRESS
185x5
205x5
225x15

OH PRESS
115x10
115x10
115x10
115x10
115x10

DB ROWS - 100
ABS - 50
BW LUNGES - 100
JUMP ROPE - 500 skips

NOTES
This is probably the easiest workout I’ve done in a LONG time. Baby weights lol. It’s ok, as the cycles go, I know the weights will get tougher. I’ve never pushed the supplemental before, so this should be interesting!

That’s unfair to the rest of us :slight_smile:

Well you don’t have to wait that long, in week 3 it’s going to be a bit tougher with 5x10 FSL.
Oh btw you can always do the supplemental a bit slower to really build TUT to get huge.

We’ve heard this before…

The 100th time is the charm!!!

5/3/1 Beefcake Training
CYCLE 1 - WEEK 1 - SQUAT DAY

BACK SQUAT (ss: Chin-Ups - 50)
335x5
365x5
385x13

DEADLIFT (ss: Dips - 50)
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10

CONDITION
10 sprints @ 80%

NOTES
5x10 of Deadlifts is no fucking joke. Leaves you gassed! If I can do 315 @ 5x10 by the end of this program, I’ll be happy man! Since I’m capping my deadlift and squat at 405, I’m going to just push for PR sets for my final set.

5/3/1 Beefcake Training
CYCLE 1 - WEEK 1 - OH PRESS DAY

OH PRESS (ss: BB Row - 3x15, Ab Wheel - 50)
135x5
155x5
175x10

BENCH PRESS (ss: DB Row - 5x10, Split Squat - 50)
155x10
155x10
155x10
155x10
155x10

CONDITION
Jump Rope - 500 skips

NOTES
Week 1 is feeling light so far. But the 5x10 @ 155lbs on the bench gave me a surprising chest pump lol. So far I’m really enjoying the simplicity of BBB. I added BB row during my main sets just because can’t ever really pull enough lol.

you’re still on the program wow a new PR.

I think that beefcake looks very tough, maybe not the first week but week three 5x10 FSL damn man.

Yeah man week 3’s are gonna be tough! But first cycle should be doable. After that we’ll see lol.

YOGA DAY

90 Min Hot Yoga

Need to do this 2-3x a week while doing BBB. My body will thank me for it for sure!

The magic of 5/3/1 occurred to me today.

With 5/3/1 you are raising your floor vs raising your ceiling. In theory if you raise your floor, the ceiling will raise with it.

Now it all makes sense to me. I think for the longest time I was “showing” strength vs building it. Damn, if only I would have started with 5/3/1 from the very start I could have avoided my first 3 years of spinning my wheels on training. But it’s ok, you live and you learn.

After looking over 5/3/1 Forever again, I realize I could literally run 5/3/1 for the rest of my life with the amount of templates in this book.

5/3/1 Beefcake Training
CYCLE 1 - WEEK 1 - DEADLIFT

DEADLIFT (ss: Dips - 50)
275x5
315x5
355x15

BACK SQUAT (ss: Face Pulls - 100)
275x10
275x10
275x10
275x10
275x10

CONDITION
Swim Sprints - 15 minutes

NOTES
I had to go back to reread the Beefcake training to make sure I am doing it right. Didn’t realize that the 5x10 is at FSL per week! Shit’s about to get tough!!!

This is probably the most important revelation for any lifter past the early intermediate stage. There is literally zero reason to ever even attempt to raise your ceiling if you aren’t a competitive athlete. If your floor is consistently raising, you’re consistently getting stronger with minimal injuries. That’s why things like 5/3/1 are great for people who don’t compete and who do compete because it can be altered to fit either need. Good on you for running an actual program. Excited to see your progress skyrocket that much more than it already has.

Yep, his title choice was on point.

There are still quite a few variations I would like to try in there. I really enjoyed SVR II when I ran it at the beginning of this year.

Thanks man! For sure though, I completely agree. So far I’m having fun running it!

Me too man. I’ll do this BBB Beefcake for 12 weeks and then reassess from there.

I’m wondering how long should one stick to a template? Like should I spend 6-8 cycles on this? I was looking in the book and for the BBB FSL he basically says he plans out 10-12 cycles in advance.