Just Another Log

We’ll see man. If I could stay close to the same weight and squat 500 that would be awesome. I don’t know if I have the will/want to or the drive to eat to get to 500 lol. 405 was always my goal, so I wouldn’t mind staying around here. I would love to get to 405x20 without ever using more weight than 405 lol.

1 Like

That sounds like hell

1 Like

43 is a lot of moving parts as well. Regarding skills - I think more in terms of promises that a leader needs to make and keep - and practices that need to be worked on a daily basis. The promises I think are most important are the promises to involve your team in something important that they get excited about - and the promise as a leader to be intentional. To not let a lot happen accidentally.

When mistakes happen - I always tell people to focus on doing the next right thing. As leaders, we are bound to mess up from time to time - but what we can control is doing the “next right thing” the next opportunity we have. In this vein - I also believe as leaders, it is important to be right. Not right as in winning every argument, but right as in doing the right things for the right reasons.

1 Like

WEEK 2 - Upper Day 1

OBSTACLE COURSE
45 minutes
Lots of rope grabs and jumping from one ledge to another.

OH Press (ss: Pendlay Row - 6x8)
175x5
175x5
175x3
175x3
175x2
135x10

Incline Bench Press (ss: Chin-Ups - 3x15)
185x25
185x15
185x10
*Moving up to 205 next week.

Dips, Curls, Band Pull Aparts
50-100

1 Like

I’m sure this is just something you’re leaving unsaid, but one thing we focus on here (I work in a nuclear power plant) when a mistake is made, however inconsequential, is what we can learn from it to try to prevent the same mistake going forward. The important thing is to focus on it as a learning opportunity, not in a punitive fashion, and that’s where a lot of leaders drop the ball.

Of course, in a nuclear power plant, the consequences of a mistake can be fairly catastrophic, so we look at things through an entirely different lens than the rest of the world…

1 Like

I agree with this so much! I always tell my employees don’t say things just to say them. If you say it, you have to stick to your word and do it. I’d rather them tell me they can’t do something then just say they can for the sake of saying it.

100% agree with that! I always try to do the right thing.

I agree, I look at mistakes at learning as opportunities. But sometimes a BIG mistake is no good lol. Damn that’s crazy though. What do you do at the plant? My friends dad works at the nuke plant in Richmond, WA (Tricities area). Always hear crazy stories from him about working there.

I’ve never understood, but what do these plants actually do?

Yes on both fronts. Learn from mistakes for sure and do our best not to repeat them!

1 Like

I have a couple of friends who work up there in the Tricities area at the Hanford site. I’m a maintenance supervisor, and I also do procurement for the plant’s maintenance department. I agree that big mistakes are no bueno no matter where you are, but the non-punitive thing is extra-important in this industry because you don’t want to build a culture that incentivizes NOT reporting mistakes because you’re afraid of the consequences. Of course there is accountability and consequences, but we are very careful about the culture we promote.

As far as what we do, we make power the same way a coal plant does, by boiling water and using the steam to turn a turbine that turns a big generator. It’s just that we have a big hot nuclear rock that makes the heat instead of burning train cars full of coal. For easy reference, 1 Kg of nuclear fuel puts out as much power as burning ~14 metric tons of coal. Amazing, but also very scary if it’s not managed correctly, so we obviously put a great deal of effort into managing it correctly.

1 Like

Awesome man! Yeah I meant Hanford, my friend’s family lives in Richmond. Man that must be a scary job! I can’t imagine working at a place like that. That’s awesome though man, must keep you on your toes!

WEEK 2 - WOD DAY 1

30 Min AMRAP

5 - Hang Clean @ 155lbs
10 - Jumping Lunge
12 - Push Ups

I don’t know how many rounds I did, but I was DONE at the end of this WOD. I literally laid there for a 10 minutes. The trainer at the 24 hour fitness came to ask if I was ok. I think I pushed a bit too hard today lol.

I think I have to save my grip for the obstacle course. My forearms are FRIED. 155lb hang clean is easy as shit. But when you do it like 70x it leaves your hands and forearms on FIRE!

2 Likes

Hey man, been jumping around your log the past couple days. Made some good progress! Questions for you.

For your ss exercises and assistance exercises, in this post the Pendley rows, are you keepin the weight the same for all sets or dropping weight as you fatigue? You ever not getting the 5x8 or 5x10 or whatever rep scheme you’re putting down here?

Also, for your first lift and your ss lifts are your first couple sets “easy” in the sense that you could hit a couple more reps if you wanted to? I know you typically aim for 5x5, then 5x6, then 5x7, 5x8 so I would imagine if you’re hitting 4x5 and 1x3 one week those first couple sets are hard but still a couple reps left in you?

How do you manage to ss so much and not have another gym user come take over your equipment? Just not that busy in the AM?

Side note: for years when I saw your name i thought it was “its dat natty” and didn’t realize I was wrong until I saw someone reference the nutty part of your name. Literally years.

1 Like

Thanks man! Just staying consistent. Good to have you on board, you can ask away!

I’m a straight set type person for my work sets. It works for my personality. I don’t really fatigue as the sets go on because I’ve been doing this type of programming for so long now that my body is completely adjusted.

I do usually get it but there are times that i don’t. For example lets say I decide to do pendlay rows for 225lb @ 5x10. Sometimes my sets might look like this:

225x10, 225x10, 225x10, 225x7, 225x3, 225x6, 225x4

I get my 50 reps in, but I work until I can get to 5x10 at that particular weight a few times (maybe for weeks) before I up the weight.

This one is hard to answer since I do straight sets. So for example lets say I I’m going to do a goal of 405 @ 5x5 for Back squats. This is what it’ll look like:

135x10, 185x3, 225x5, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 385x2, 405x5, 405x5, 405x5, 405x2, 405x2

I would say I’m pushing my intensity. The first 2 sets of 405 are REALLY explosive. But reps 3-5 for the other sets are not grinders but bar speed definitely slows down.

The AM or late at night are not busy, but the gym is set up in a way where I can superset pretty well. In front of the benches are the chin-ups bars and cable stations. The DBs are right behind that as well.

When I do super set Overhead press and bb rows I just grab another barbell. There’s 2-3 extra ones at the 24 so no one is missing one from a bench or squat rack. I couldn’t superset squat and bench or something like that though.

But I adjust depending on the situation. I superset what I can, but I always SS no matter what.

Haha yeah man. Its Dat Nutty is actually a phrase that me and some friends use to say back in college. We use to play MW3 and me and a friend were expert snipers in the game. And we’d always have a like a 32:4 kill to death ratio and so every time we’d shoot someone and snipe them we’d be like “Oooh That’s Nutty!” because we’d have kill streaks of like 15+ lol.

4 Likes

NEW SCHEDULE

With my focus now shifting to American Ninja Warrior training, I’ve noticed after the last few times working out that my split will have to change as well. I’m too tired and I don’t eat enough to handle all the conditioning and heavy lifting I am doing. Checked my weight and I’m down to 173!!! I’ll be going back to a full body split so I can train ANW 4 days a week and lift 3x a week. I’ll go back to sort of what I was doing, but I’ll do it a bit differently. I’ll take my inspiration from this article:

I’m also going to use Coach @Christian_Thibaudeau advice he gave me and add some strongman stuff. So at the end of each session I’ll do one event. Luckily my 24 hour fitness has a log, farmers handles, prowler, and I have a sandbag so I’ll have to get creative.

MONDAY
Clean
Back Squat
OH Press
BB Row
Strongman Event

WEDNESDAY
Deadlift
Incline Bench Press
Chin-Ups
Front Squat
Strongman Event

FRIDAY
Back Squat
OH Press
BB Row
RDL
Strongman Event

TUESDAY / THURSDAY / SATURDAY / SUNDAY
American Ninja Warrior Training

I think I’ll use a 5/3/1 template so I can still hit some PRs.

For those of you that have the Forever book, which of the templates do you think I should use for the different lifts?

HOT YOGA
90 minute

This was much needed!!!

When i see this i imagine Hot chicks doing yoga :joy:

There’s a lot of hot women in the yoga studio me and my wife go to. I try not to look, but I’m human!

3 Likes

Late to this party, but…

I’ll second the recommendation to start at 150 and then go to 200.

1 Like

I’m pretty lucky, my wife notices them and points them out to me sometimes!

1 Like

My wife does the same thing, but sometimes I think it’s a test haha!

Going to LA for the weekend, so last gym workout before Monday starts my new adventure!

BACK SQUAT (ss: Ab Wheel - 5x20)
315x10
315x10
315x9
315x8
315x7

OH PRESS (ss: Pull-Ups - 5x12)
135x10
135x10
135x10
135x9
135x8