T Nation

Nuts, Protein or Nothing (Pre-Cardio)

I’ve tried all three but i really cant put my finger on which is best.
-apparently nuts (fat) will cause the body to continue to use fat once
the ingested fat is gone
-protein will prevent catabolism BUT if all protein is digested, will
the body take protein from muscle?
-then theres nothing…

(this is mainly concerned with fasted/morning cardio)

Im doing a recomp right now and I am doing fasted morning cardio. I have my HOT-ROX and than have 5-10 grams of leucine before my session.

If you couldn’t detect a difference, there probably isn’t a worthwhile difference for you.

Do whichever works best in terms of your overall schedule.

30-40g protein with 5g BCAA’s right before cardio is plenty to avoid muscle breakdown

What kind of cardio are you doing?

Personally, I do cardio fasted because I’m not worried about catabolism. I think its not a concern.

[quote]AzCats wrote:
30-40g protein with 5g BCAA’s right before cardio is plenty to avoid muscle breakdown[/quote]

Not that it would make a significant difference, but normal protein (whey and/or casein) consumed immediately before cardio probably wouldn’t be fully digested until you finished training.

I have been trying MCT’s prior to cardio; I feel like I have more energy than when compared to protein before cardio, but the differences in body composition have been negligible.

[quote]elusive wrote:

Personally, I do cardio fasted because I’m not worried about catabolism. I think its not a concern.[/quote]

well, i dont really like treadmills, ellipticals etc so ill usually do 10 right handed DB snatches then repeat with left hand, rest a minute or so. sessions usually last 45 mins to an hour. and occasionally ill do circuits

also, if one (like me) isnt at a relatively low body fat %, would catabolism even be an issue?

i always thought it was the lean guys who were the ones really at risk of losing muscle

i’ve heard studies of fish oil, EPA I think, increasing fat oxidation when taken prior to cardio. I like it

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
elusive wrote:

Personally, I do cardio fasted because I’m not worried about catabolism. I think its not a concern.

well, i dont really like treadmills, ellipticals etc so ill usually do 10 right handed DB snatches then repeat with left hand, rest a minute or so. sessions usually last 45 mins to an hour. and occasionally ill do circuits[/quote]

I’ve never done that for cardio, but I wouldn’t try it on an empty stomach. I would have a small meal before something like that.

[quote]elusive wrote:
MAF14 wrote:
elusive wrote:

well, i dont really like treadmills, ellipticals etc so ill usually do 10 right handed DB snatches then repeat with left hand, rest a minute or so. sessions usually last 45 mins to an hour. and occasionally ill do circuits

I’ve never done that for cardio, but I wouldn’t try it on an empty stomach. I would have a small meal before something like that.[/quote]

x2

I think I’d get so hungry trying a workout like that on an empty stomach that I’d lose focus before finishing.

It seems like a recipe for catabolism.

At the least, I’d have a FINiBAR 15 to 30 minutes prior. I’m hooked on the new PB ones.

Um, a balance?

[quote]elusive wrote:
MAF14 wrote:
elusive wrote:

I’ve never done that for cardio, but I wouldn’t try it on an empty stomach. I would have a small meal before something like that.[/quote]

Fasted-state cardio is detrimental to anyone concerned with lean-body mass. If you’re obese it may not be too critical.

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
elusive wrote:
MAF14 wrote:
elusive wrote:

I’ve never done that for cardio, but I wouldn’t try it on an empty stomach. I would have a small meal before something like that.

Fasted-state cardio is detrimental to anyone concerned with lean-body mass. If you’re obese it may not be too critical.[/quote]

I personally walk on an incline on my treadmill when I do fasted cardio. I doubt 40 mins of walking in the morning is going to eat away my muscle. I have more faith in my body’s ability to hold on to muscle than that.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
elusive wrote:
MAF14 wrote:
elusive wrote:

x2

I think I’d get so hungry trying a workout like that on an empty stomach that I’d lose focus before finishing.

It seems like a recipe for catabolism.

At the least, I’d have a FINiBAR 15 to 30 minutes prior. I’m hooked on the new PB ones.[/quote]

forgot to mention… im only using a 25 pound DB. no serious weight, just enough to get my heart rate up

[quote]elusive wrote:
Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
elusive wrote:
MAF14 wrote:
elusive wrote:

Fasted-state cardio is detrimental to anyone concerned with lean-body mass. If you’re obese it may not be too critical.

I personally walk on an incline on my treadmill when I do fasted cardio. I doubt 40 mins of walking in the morning is going to eat away my muscle. I have more faith in my body’s ability to hold on to muscle than that. [/quote]

You may want to reconsider, it only takes a second to blend a piece of fruit and whey. Besides, why take chances when it comes to lean-body mass?

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:

Fasted-state cardio is detrimental to anyone concerned with lean-body mass. If you’re obese it may not be too critical.[/quote]

I know a lot of bodybuilders advocate fasted morning cardio. I think they know a thing or two about lean-body mass.

Personally, I wouldn’t advocate interval training in a fasted state, but I don’t think walking or some other form of low intensity cardio for a moderate amount of time is gonna cause someone’s muscles to break down.

I believe CT said he recommends 5g BCAA and 5g glutamine before fasted cardio.