Nutritionist Q: Milk and Vitamin D

So I’m taking a Human Nutrition class at college now… with an overweight vegetarian professor… being told that Atkins is associated with renal kidney failure and that daily fat intake shouldn’t go over 25%. Whatever.

One thing I’ve been wondering is that a common theme of pretty much all the food pyramid variations endorse low fat or fat free dairy products only, and a lot of public schools are following suit. Jon Bowden makes the point in the 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth that Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and that the emphasis on fat free milks may lead to deficiencies.

Q: How much fat is needed to absorb fat soluble vitamins?

Not that much, actually. It’s more of the fact that the fat soluble vitamins are usually located in fat to begin with(butter, eggs, animal fat). So although you can get by on a low-fat diet, it’ll never be optimal.

Your professor is a retard, apparently. Instead of trying to bust up his claims, ask him to put his money where his mouth is and produce where the hell did he get that number. I’m sure you’ll see something like a study on obese women fed crisco and bagles.

if “low-fat” mantra was replaced with “low carb, high fat, high FIBER” then i wouldn’t have a problem

people seem to forget that excess carbs means insulin resistance which is related to many chronic widepsread diseases

but i say screw it, let them keep chowing down their cereal, granola, chips, “health” snack bars, yogurt loaded with sugar (ie. any kind of yogurt you find in a supermarket) and wonder why they are above 20% BF