T Nation

Nutritional Summary

I’ve been reading and reading and reading… in reference to diet/nutrition. I am not too much of a fan of supplements (all I take is shakes and multivitamins). I wont to eat to gain size but not to gain a ton of fat with it. I goofed before and wasn’t picky about food choices and gained alot of fat. Please look at these general points and tell me if I am overlooking anything:

1. To get big, eat big. Shooting for 1-1.5g of protein per body weight

2. Eat protein with all meals, good carbs(fruit veggies) centered towards morning -> afternoon, and fats centered towards night time.

3. Eat on a scheduled basis, not whenever you feel hungry.

Here are just a couple of questions which I cannot get a clear answer to:

1. Bread/pasta/potatos are bad because of bad carbs?

2. If I eat before I go to bed, will it just turn into fat?

3. When evaluating meat/dairy should I just look for fat content?

i apprecieate anyone who takes the time and can help answer these questions.

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
I’ve been reading and reading and reading… in reference to diet/nutrition. I am not too much of a fan of supplements (all I take is shakes and multivitamins). I wont to eat to gain size but not to gain a ton of fat with it. I goofed before and wasn’t picky about food choices and gained alot of fat. Please look at these general points and tell me if I am overlooking anything:

1. To get big, eat big. Shooting for 1-1.5g of protein per body weight

2. Eat protein with all meals, good carbs(fruit veggies) centered towards morning -> afternoon, and fats centered towards night time.

3. Eat on a scheduled basis, not whenever you feel hungry.

Here are just a couple of questions which I cannot get a clear answer to:

1. Bread/pasta/potatos are bad because of bad carbs?

2. If I eat before I go to bed, will it just turn into fat?

3. When evaluating meat/dairy should I just look for fat content?

i apprecieate anyone who takes the time and can help answer these questions.[/quote]

1. Bread/pasta/ should be of the wholewheat variety and along with potatoes consumed early in the day with lean protein or postworkout as they are carbs.

2. Your before bed meal if you are going to eat one should be protein good fat heavy and low or no carbs unless you just finished a late workout. You want a slow amino acid release as you sleep.

3. Look for leaner cuts of meat such as baked skinless chicken lean cuts of steak and fish for the most part. The occasional fried chicken or other is okay at times especially if bulking.

Hope this helps,

D

when evaluating fat content, look at type and balance of fat. for example, if you are eating a P+F meal, you do not necessarily need to go with skinless chicken. chicken breast with the skin is still not too high in fat and all it takes to balance the fats in it are 2-3 fish oil pills. conversely, if you are eating chicken legs, one might want to remove the fat before baking and you get a profile similar to chicken breast with skin.

fat intake should depend on what energy needs are and one’s carb tolerance.

as for bread, pasta, potatoes, etc, bread itself is not bad unless you don’t handle it well. possible issues for all are poor micronutrient density and acidity. potatoes do not suffer the acidity problem, but are high in carbs that most don’t need. as always, whole grain (vs processed) is always a better choice, multigrain is even better, and for tubers, yams and sweet potatoes are the ones with the highest micronutrient to calorie ratio.

I work 8-5 and most of thes nutrition articles make reference to training in the middle of the day and haveing access to a kitchen too. The types of meals as I interprete it:

1. p+c (7 am)
  2. p+c (930 am)
  3. p+c (noon)
  4. p+f (3pm)
    workout (530 - 645pm)
  5. p+c (730pm)
  6. p+f (10pm)
    bed@ (11pm)

Does this order look right or am I overlooking something?

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
I work 8-5 and most of thes nutrition articles make reference to training in the middle of the day and haveing access to a kitchen too. The types of meals as I interprete it:

1. p+c (7 am)
  2. p+c (930 am)
  3. p+c (noon)
  4. p+f (3pm)
    workout (530 - 645pm)
  5. p+c (730pm)
  6. p+f (10pm)
    bed@ (11pm)

Does this order look right or am I overlooking something?[/quote]

Looks good to me bro. Just add throwing a handful of BCAA’s down the gullet at bed and waking time and before and after training and get ready to Grow!

D