Nutritional Info Discrepancy

According to The Protein Factory, 1/3 cup of dextrose or maltodextrin contains 23 grams of carbs. However, according to Supplement Direct, 1/3 cup contains 75 grams of carbs. How do I figure out who’s right? The 23 gram figure seems more plausible to me, but that’s just a hunch.

i hope it is 23. if not i have been taking in 2g of carbs per kg of bodyweight after i workout instead of .8 , then again if it is 75 than i could save some money. if anyone knows the answer to this please respond.

i always go by the 5 grams per teaspoon rule. it seems to be accurate for a lot of measure ments. Now 1/3 cup is about 2.67 oz. now if you use that as weight measurement instead of volume measurement then it would be 75 grams because 2.67oz is 1/6 of 16oz (or 1 pound or approx. 455 grams). thats how they got 75 grams. Now you have to remember that 16oz of water volume weigh 1 pound or approx. 455 grams. protein has a lighter density then water. Same goes for sugar. I would agree with the protein factory on this one. 1/3 of a cup measuring volume is 23 grams. heck i did the measuring my self and it came out to a little more then 23 grams.

Since I’m metricated, I’ll let you in on the secret. 1 cup is 250mL. 1/3 is a little over 80mL. Dextrose, etc would add up to around 75g (a little less than 1g per mL). Dextrose is 100% carbs, right, so its 75g.

Plus I just weighed it out and looked it up on the US Gov. Nutrition Tables.

So we have one for 23g and one for 75g. What now?

The best way to figure it out is to use one of those handy-dandy kitchen scales and measure it out. 100g of measured Dextrose yields a sugary 92g of carbohydrate. So just measure out a 1/3 cup of your ‘trose and plop that dirty lil’ guy on the scale…convert and be confused no longer.

I had the same question, and I called the protein factory and talked to Alex himself. He told me that 23g of carbs in 1/3 cup of dextrose is a typo, 1/3 cup of dextrose is around 40 grams of carbs. He also said that it was impossible for 1/3 cup of dextrose to be 75 grams of carbs. I was still confused when I got off the phone with him, so i decided to test it out. I got my digital scale and I weighed 1/3 cup of dextrose(minus the weight of the measuring cup of course) and got 47 grams. I then multiplied that number times .92 because the protein factory states that their dextrose is 92% carbohydrates, and got a total of 43.74 grams of carbs for 1/3 cup of dextrose, and I believe maltodextrin is along those same lines, give or take a gram of carbohydartes. Hope this solves your problems.

Ok… I’m not sure where your values are coming from. But 1 ml of distilled water weighs 1 gram at 4 degrees C, this is fact.
Now 1 cup = 236.6 ml, so 1/3 of a cup = 78.9 ml or 78.9 grams if we were measuring distilled water at 4 degrees C. Now we are actually talking about another liquid, that I would assume(something I seldom do) to be more dense than distilled water! But is it 100% pure dextrose or maltodextrin? I am doubtful, as nothing is that pure. Some of the volume could be distilled off as water which has no calories… so quite a bit of that weight is water. Hmmm… without knowing purity this is about as far as I can take this. We have roughly 80 grams and I think more than 5 of these grams is pure water so, I would say no way could the total volume be carbs. Make sense to anyone?

One last thought… are you dealing with the same forms from the 2 different companies, or is one liquid and 1 powder? Even powder weights can change with humidity… more humid areas will have a higher water content. This may sound like splitting hairs, but some comodities are tested for water weight prior to bulk purchase. small samples are weighed, then baked at a certain temperature for a certain legth of time, then it is weighed again, and the pecentage of water is taken off the bulk cargo weight.

1/3 of a cup contains approximately 25 grams. Since maltodextrin is 94% carbohydrate. You would multiply 25 x .94 = 23.5 grams carbs. One cup contains 80 grams.

John

Dextrose is 92% carbs. If a cup is 250ml, then we’re talking 250 x .92 / 3 = 76.7 grams of carbs, so the 75 figure is about right. I measure mine in tablespoons, teaspoons, etc. 1 tablespoon = 13.8 grams carbs. 1 teaspoon = 4.6 grams carbs. (I’ve seen this posted incorrectly here in the past… 1 teaspoon = 1/3 of a tablespoon, not 1/2.)

I forgot, maltodextrin is 93.8% carbs. You can do the rest. By the way, I got these numbers straight from the protein factory site, also.

Some of you guys are apparently confusing volume and weight. When PF says 1/3C of dextrose (powder) they are referring to volume not weight. The arguments for 75g of carbs per 1/3C are all weight based and therefore give incorrect results. In fact based on that same logic a 1/3C of cement would weigh the same as a 1/3C of cotton. The only accurate way to calculate the carbs is to weigh the amount of dextrose and multiply it by .92 as has been mentioned already.

That’s kind of what I was hinting at buster. But I didn’t know if it was liquid or solid.
As a side note… 1 cup = 236.6 ml

Ok, there are alot of ridiculous arguements and “theoretical” assumptions being made here. However, for those who are interested in knowing the answer…

I just weighed out 1 cup of dextrose on our lab scale (sensitive to the milligram) and 1 CUP of DEXTROSE yields about 125g-130g of POWDER (I did several measures using different measuring cups). What this means is that if your dextrose (like mine) is 94%, then thats about 120 GRAMS OF DEXTROSE per 1 CUP OF POWDER at 94% purity. 1/3 CUP equals about 40G of carbs at a 94% purity. End of story.

JMB, thank you. I don’t suppose you could do maltodextrin could you? Or is it the same. Thanks in advance.

I already did. Malto is the same.