Nutritional Anthropology

Nutritional Anthropology

Why We Eat What We Eat

The quest for food has shaped the development of our society. In his search for sustenance, man has influenced population growth and urban expansion, has dictated economic and political theory, and has inspired wars. Food and the science of food touches our lives in numerous ways. Many religions follow strict dietary laws. Some of the earliest observations in the world of chemistry came from the preparation and cooking of food. Food has influenced technology, too. The water wheel, developed for the milling of grain, became a primary tool during the Industrial Revolution. Even class distinctions in some societies are determined by what foods are put on the table.

In the prehistoric world, man was a successful predator, and was able to cook, to cultivate plants, and to tame animals. By 10,000-12,000 years ago, the climate was mellowing on earth, with glaciers retreating ? which provided excellent conditions for fast-growing plants to take hold. Settlements began to appear around the crops, so that humans would be ready and available for harvest. The grain that was grown attracted herbivorous animals, and sheep and goats became domesticated. It followed, then, that milk became a part of the human diet.

http://www.cellinteractive.com/ucla/center_overview/nut_anthro.html

for an excellent synopsis of the evolution of humans and food production, see jared diamond’s guns, germs and steel (only won a pulitzer and is a best seller) and the third chipanzee.

these books are refreshingly absent of the bullshit postmodernist claptrap that has infected most of academia and politics.

not a bad article, though it may confuse some ultimate and proximal causes. nonetheless, it still is factually sound.

i don’t know if everyone will see the same ads at the top of the page, but here are the ones i saw:

Nutrition and Diet Facts
Find nutrition and diet information Lose weight with Jenny Craig

Whole Food Diet & Cleanse
13 days of food all included - $199 Eat your way to health & wellness!
www.wholefoodcleanse.com

God Wants You Well
See What God Has Provided For His Children To Overcome Gout

i just about fell out of my chair laughing. also there was an ad for the fitday nutrition software, but the spurious ones at the top are just too much.