T Nation

Nutrition Woes

Hi all! So Ive been redesigning my diet over and over again. Thought I had it perfectly set till I read that Brazil nuts are toxic in high quantities. Brazil nuts were my calorie 'filler'.

So anyhow, I need about 6,000 a day because I work in construction and burn about 5000 a day (think of it as a day-long cross fit program). I want to eat clean, organic, and affordable. lol, I know, talk about a conundrum.

Here's my daily spread without the brazil nuts. Basically I need a calorie-dense food thats affordable, clean, non-toxic, non-dairy, non-wheat, and easy to eat (my biggest problem with eating all this food is theres barely any time to do it. I wake up, eat as much as I can, go to work, eat as much as I can on breaks, get home, eat as much as I can till I have to go to bed).

Im also a bit worried that the food isnt fueling me properly during the day as I get more and more exhausted throughout the week to ridiculous levels, so much so that I need to either fix the diet or quit the job, its becoming that debilitating.

Daily:

5 cups organic long grain brown rice: 1,080 cals

3.5 cups free-from beef: 1,470 cals

2 Tbsp olive oil: 240 cals

4 medium baked potatoes: 773 cals

50g Lays chips: 280 cals

1 Tbsp coconut oil: 117 cals

6 eggs: 611 cals

1 banana: 105 cals

Total: 4,676 cals

Any Legit Ectomorph Bodybuilders?

where’s the animal flesh?

Try adding more olive oil and more calorie dense foods, like bacon and cheddar chesse to your meals and for munching troughout the day try peanuts with raisins, the salt and sweet will increase your hunger.
And if that doesnt work, you dont have to always eat clean, eat calorie dense foods that you like: burguers, pizza, etc…

[quote]SargeMaximus wrote:
Hi all! So Ive been redesigning my diet over and over again. Thought I had it perfectly set till I read that Brazil nuts are toxic in high quantities. Brazil nuts were my calorie ‘filler’.

So anyhow, I need about 6,000 a day because I work in construction and burn about 5000 a day (think of it as a day-long cross fit program). I want to eat clean, organic, and affordable. lol, I know, talk about a conundrum.

Here’s my daily spread without the brazil nuts. Basically I need a calorie-dense food thats affordable, clean, non-toxic, non-dairy, non-wheat, and easy to eat (my biggest problem with eating all this food is theres barely any time to do it. I wake up, eat as much as I can, go to work, eat as much as I can on breaks, get home, eat as much as I can till I have to go to bed).

Im also a bit worried that the food isnt fueling me properly during the day as I get more and more exhausted throughout the week to ridiculous levels, so much so that I need to either fix the diet or quit the job, its becoming that debilitating.

Daily:

5 cups organic long grain brown rice: 1,080 cals

3.5 cups free-from beef: 1,470 cals

2 Tbsp olive oil: 240 cals

4 medium baked potatoes: 773 cals

50g Lays chips: 280 cals

1 Tbsp coconut oil: 117 cals

6 eggs: 611 cals

1 banana: 105 cals

Total: 4,676 cals[/quote]

You need more meat in there. Measure eggs, nuts, fruits, and potatoes in grams. Sea salt almonds are amazing! Natural peanut butter = sex

Peri-workout nutrition? You can easily add another 600 calories to your daily intake.

Vegetables like peas have a good number of calories, minimal preparation needed and they are green.

Is the non-wheat a celiac allergy thing or a choice? I am completely wheat free, with the exception of Ezekiel bread. If it’s an allergy, that’s no good for you, but if it’s a choice, Ezekiel bread is organic, incredibly healthy, low glycemic, and doesn’t have too much wheat. All sprouted organic grains. Making a natural peanut butter or almond butter sandwich with Ezekiel bread is a clean, dense snack, about 400 cal., or more if you load up on the nut butter. Also, just wondering what’s up with the lays potato chips if you’re trying to eat clean? We can of course argue if you’re just trying to get in calories, “a carb is a carb” type opinion, go for it.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I should clear some things up:

The issues I have with wheat are from personal experience. I don’t think I have celiac, but I DO have lethargy and bloating when I eat wheat, which I why I choose not to use it.

Dairy is the same reason, though I might have to go back on goat’s cheese to get enough calcium as supplements are expensive.

Peanuts make me sick as I used to eat about 3 cups a day, and then got sick after eating them one day. Besides that, nuts in general are actually pretty bad for your health in high quantities.

Can’t really munch on stuff throughout the day as I’m working, so I prefer to place all my nutrition needs into my 5 daily meals (breakfast, first break, second break, after work, and supper)

I’ve added another helping of the olive oil and butter recently and I’ve had stomach cramps so I am wondering if I’m not eating enough fibre, or if the added oil is causing it. I’ve never had this on my diet before and that’s the only change.

You guys mention more meat, how much more? I get about 250g of protein a day, isn’t that enough?

The peas sound good, and adding oil is a great idea, I’ll even add it to my protein shakes and breakfasts, but this cramping issue has me worried, any suggestions/insights on that?

Thanks a lot guys!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the lays is my “cheat” food. Gotta have something to offset all the cleanness, and that way I don’t have to binge every so often, I’m always satisfied.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I should clear some things up:

The issues I have with wheat are from personal experience. I don’t think I have celiac, but I DO have lethargy and bloating when I eat wheat, which I why I choose not to use it.

Dairy is the same reason, though I might have to go back on goat’s cheese to get enough calcium as supplements are expensive.

Peanuts make me sick as I used to eat about 3 cups a day, and then got sick after eating them one day. Besides that, nuts in general are actually pretty bad for your health in high quantities.

Can’t really munch on stuff throughout the day as I’m working, so I prefer to place all my nutrition needs into my 5 daily meals (breakfast, first break, second break, after work, and supper)

I’ve added another helping of the olive oil and butter recently and I’ve had stomach cramps so I am wondering if I’m not eating enough fibre, or if the added oil is causing it. I’ve never had this on my diet before and that’s the only change.

You guys mention more meat, how much more? I get about 250g of protein a day, isn’t that enough?

The peas sound good, and adding oil is a great idea, I’ll even add it to my protein shakes and breakfasts, but this cramping issue has me worried, any suggestions/insights on that?

Thanks a lot guys!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the lays is my “cheat” food. Gotta have something to offset all the cleanness, and that way I don’t have to binge every so often, I’m always satisfied.[/quote]

What are some of your stats? height/weight/body fat guesstimate. Unless you are a big guy 250g protein should be good. The way you wrote the information made it seem like you may be lacking in protein is the only reason I mentioned it.

Cut back the oil and butter and see if that solves the stomach cramps. I have experimented in the past with large quantities of EVOO but never experienced anything negative like cramps.

For the calcium, make sure you aren’t buying the most expensive brand. Generally speaking, things in the pharmacy section are all the same but you can cut the price in half buying the “cheap” brands. On a side note, make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D as well in your diet, 6,000 iu daily is great and will have a noticeable effect on your general state of well-being.

What is free from beef?

cahsews

get a high leucine amino drink for afternoon breaks

cyclic dextrin/karbolyn from a bulk supplier

[quote]The-German wrote:

What are some of your stats? height/weight/body fat guesstimate. Unless you are a big guy 250g protein should be good. The way you wrote the information made it seem like you may be lacking in protein is the only reason I mentioned it.[/quote]

Height 6’

Weight as of this morning: 158lbs

Body fat is around 22%

[quote]The-German wrote:
Cut back the oil and butter and see if that solves the stomach cramps. I have experimented in the past with large quantities of EVOO but never experienced anything negative like cramps.[/quote]

Lol, ok, but then how can I get enough calories? I don’t have time to eat 6,000 calories worth of rice a day! I need calorie dense, easy/fast to eat foods that aren’t toxic in large quantities like nuts are.

I think the cramping may be coming from eating so much hard-to-digest food, especially since as soon as I eat, I’m back at work, doing a high intensity cardio equivalent.

[quote]The-German wrote:
For the calcium, make sure you aren’t buying the most expensive brand. Generally speaking, things in the pharmacy section are all the same but you can cut the price in half buying the “cheap” brands. On a side note, make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D as well in your diet, 6,000 iu daily is great and will have a noticeable effect on your general state of well-being.[/quote]

What’s a good source of vitamin D?

I’m not going to get calcium supplements, like I said, I’ll just go back to cheese for now.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
cahsews

cyclic dextrin/karbolyn from a bulk supplier[/quote]

Cashews are toxic, so no-go there.

What’s the drink and that other thing though?

1. Your burn 5000 cals want to eat 6000 cal.

2. You are 6ft tall and weight 158 lbs.

What is your goal?

You are tired because you are underweight and not eating enough.

To me, you’re overreacting on how “toxic” nuts are. If consumed in moderation, nuts like walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc are really healthy, calorie-dense snacks. If consumed in large amounts (and you have a diet that’s deficient in iron/zinc), it can lead to some problems. Just consume foods that are iron/zinc rich at different times of the day to when you eat the aforesaid nuts.

http://chriskresser.com/another-reason-you-shouldnt-go-nuts-on-nuts

So you eat potato chips every day, but won’t eat “toxic” cashews or brazil nuts?

cahsews

cyclic dextrin/karbolyn from a bulk supplier[/quote]

Cashews are toxic, so no-go there.

What’s the drink and that other thing though?

[/quote]

Haha cashews not toxic unless you have ridiculous amount. The fats and minerals in them will do you good.

Aminos: many people rave about this product…

Cyclic dextrin is the base ingredient of Plazma

Haha cashews not toxic unless you have ridiculous amount. The fats and minerals in them will do you good.

[/quote]

Any idea the amount?

Also, I’ve started blending my rice and beef for when I’m working so that I can digest it with minimal effort. Any idea what the calorie savings on that might be? Just curious. lol

Anyhow thanks.