T Nation

Nutrition With Lifting and Sprints

Well football season is upon us, which means its time to turn it up a notch. Since January, most of our team and myself have been getting up and lifting at 6am, 4 days a week. Or program design has been nearly flawless... until now.

Now that summer has rolled around, we need to work on endurance ontop of strength. lifting the same amount of time, but then going directly to conditioning (running).

Our running days consist of
A.) Conditioning days (300's, 150's)
b.) Agility days (Various drills, but fast paced and still extremely challanging)
C.) Speed days (40's, 20's)

Being directly after lifting I'm not only afraid of losing muscle but getting injured too. The last thing I need is to squat heavy, then go out and blow a hammy to pieces sprinting...

Finally my question: What should my diet look like in order to keep packing on the muscle, and avoid over training in this environment?

Should I eat something between lifting and running, or just eat big before and after?

I was considering downing my whey in between the lifting and running sessions, depending on if I'll throw it up or not...

Any advice would really be appretiated!!

Thanks

Ahhhh...The good old summer workout days for football. I'm about to graduate high school and boy am I going to miss those days..kind of. Anyway, to your questions-

The way you described your summer workouts sounds almost identical to what mine were, lifting 4 days a week and running included.

You shouldn't have to worry about squatting heavy and running hard afterwards as long as you have warmed up properly. It should consist of high knees, high knee butt kicks, short quick steps, high knee karyokas (spelling), and those movements related to sprinting. Dynamic warmups are the way to go for sure, but a little static stretching can't hurt you. Do the dynamic stuff first though. When you're done running, do a cool down jog but don't worry about stretching then. I read on Joe DeFranco's website a while back that stretching right after you are done working out isn't quite as effective as stretching around an hour or hour and a half later because your muscles are still warm at the end of your workout. Just simply go through another full, thorough, static stretching routine an hour later.

As far as nutrition is concerned:
Prepare yourself a bottle or two of a gatorade/whey protein mix for while you are lifting and between the lifting and running. I think a bottle of gatorade has total of 35g's carbohydrates, so if you throw in a half a scoop of whey protein powder (10-12 g's), that should be a nice ratio. You may throw it up, you may not, depending on how tolerant your body is. I never had a bad experience with lifting/running.

Afterwards, consume a drink like Surge or any fast acting whey protein with a high amount of carbs to take advantage of the "window of opportunity." Then an hour later, eat a meal that is high in protein with some starchy carbs, like a steak and a baked potato. From there on out, space out your meals so you eat every 2 hours or so if you can, and those meals should be higher in protein, lower in carbs. Before you hit the sack, have a protein and fat meal, like cottage cheese and a tablespoon or two of olive oil in it (can't taste the olive oil). Definitely add in some fruit, especially pineapple or berries, to make the cottage cheese taste better. It may suck at first, but it will be well worth it in the end once your taste buds adapt!

Hope this helps.

Doesn't every author on this site preach about not executing any type of speed or agility drills after a lifting session when your motor patterns are already taxed and degrading form will become bad habit form? I have always thought this but people would probably listen and take advice better from Waterbury than me.

E-man you are right. but the thing is, these are high school coaches. 95% of them dont really know what they are doing and that same 95% you can show them scientific fact and they still woul not believe you.

Or worse, they wouldn't believe you, and then they'd cut you for questioning them and not buying into their system.

I couldn't of said it better myself.

However, with most High School coaches if you are exhausted and maybe even puking at the end of a workout then it must've been a great session. And better yet, if we can do sprints at max intensity every single day then it is an extremly great program. (hopefully you caught the sarcasm in the last paragraph)

A lot of top sprinters do their track work after their weight room sessions, including Maurice Greene and Ato Boldon. Boldon tells me that Trevor Graham's group (Justin Gatlin, Shawn Crawford, formerly Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery) does this also.

I'm not advocating this approach but rather simply noting that there are some top athletes who undermine the conventional wisdom.

Great genetics can mask inferior training.

That and we do not know if they are lifting in the morning and then 6 hours later doing the sprint workouts. they have such superior genetics and training experience (not to mention awesome coaching) that maybe they better adapt to the training if they lift before the sprint.

Thanks for showing such an intrest guys.. i do realize that it isnt the best program, but i gotta do what i gotta do..

joey, thanks for the informative post dude.. im going to give some of it a go tomorrow.

Today was our first day with lifting then running... and it was pretty raw. our group started on squats, which was bad enough because I hadnt squatted in a while do to injury, but the running was tough. Today was the conditioning day, which was 7 300's. I got through it, and my legs seem to burn less toward the end, but after we were done both my quads cramped up to the point of locking out. Needless to saw I have a gallon of water next to my computer.

When i got home i had some left over steak and some hasbrowns, and took a 4 hour nap... feel pretty good now..

again, thanks for the replies

I agree. I could not even imagine going out and doing sprint work after training legs. Hell, I don't like to do both in the same day, regardless what goes first.

Either way, sprint first, squat second.

Your MUCH more likely to get injured running do to whatever factors involved than you are by lifting weights. I almost NEVER hear of someone pulling a muscle or getting injured squatting, as long as their lifting properly and warming up. However, you can warm up all day and still get hurt doing sprint work.

I do not envy you my friend. I remember the days of football training in highschool many years ago. Most of the coaches were clueless and overtrained us into the ground.

Good Luck.

Coach-"Training is the key. Train, Train, Train."

me- " But coach I've read dozens of studies from world class strength coaches and they say nutrition is just as important as proper training"

Coach- " Adkins you're a pain in my ass, get out of my weight room son"

That was more than one occasion with more than one different "coach".

Suprisingly, almost all of our coaches realize how important nutrition is. Although they dont plan our meals down to the hour, they do offer some advice like suggesting post workout PB&J's, and being sure to have a healthy breakfast before we hit the weights. They pretty much advocate the "Lift, Eat, Eat, Eat, Sleep" method, which is working pretty well...

The coach that runs our football lifting program is also our powerlifting coach, hes a pretty smart guy, but I defiantly don't agree with this setup.

I asked him about it this morning and he said that its more important that we lift first, run second, because our team is lacking more size than speed, and after running no one would have anything left to give in the weight room (as if we don't leave it all in the squat rack)

He said that if it was up to him we'd lift at 6am, then come back later in the day to run, but with everyone's scheduals itd be too hard to have everyone come back, and the amount of guys showing up would decrease every day...which makes sense..

I remember that former Detroit Lions running back(and IMO the greatest) Barry Sanders often skipped mini camps completely, hardley ever took part in team training drills and never took any part in any off seson training programs. People often complained he was a prima donna and thought he was too good or just plain lazy to practice with his team.

I would explain to people that was the smartest idea for a pro football player of his caliber to do that Ive ever heard. More often than not, even in the pro ranks most strength coaches aren't the brightest minds in the world and Barry probably knows more about what it takes to get in shape than 99 percent of them.