T Nation

Nutrition Tips/Plan for Athletes

Hey Guys,
Im 20 years old, 6’3", 194lbs and an Elite Athlete. Im currently on the Olympic National Water Polo team and were starting to train again for the upcoming competition year. However, I have put on some pounds during my off season (I let a bit loose at the end of the summer) and would need to lose this fat mass to get me back into my competing weight.

I train 40 hours a week, plus school, so any meal plans or nutrition tips would be much appreciated. As well supplement recommendations, however I have to be very careful with what I can and cannot take due to the strict Drug Testings that I undergo on a yearly basis. I am currently taking l-carnitine, 2500mg a day but am close to finishing off the bottle I have.
Any help to get me back into competing weight would be much very helpful.
Thank you,
Ivan

Learn to use the search function, it will be your best friend. All the questions you posted have already been thoughtfully answered. Go search.

Talk to your coaches.

Ive tried to however they are hardheaded serbians and have no idea about nutrition. Theyre advice was no junk food and no protein powder. And we dont have a nutritionist either hence why Im posting here for some advice

I don’t think there are any restrictions on the use of Resveratrol and it’s been shown to significantly improve endurance in lab rats and mice. There are also enough accounts from cyclists to make me believe it has the same benefits for humans.

Of course fish oil, creatine and quality protein powders.

[quote]spiciercao wrote:
Ive tried to however they are hardheaded serbians and have no idea about nutrition. Theyre advice was no junk food and no protein powder. And we dont have a nutritionist either hence why Im posting here for some advice[/quote]

Why do they say no protein powder?

Is there a certain weight you need to be? Ive always heard that a little fat is better for a polo player because it helps you float and therefore use less to stay afloat, but thats what Ive heard. If you insistent on losing some fat then you could try limiting your carb intake to before and after training. I dont know why your coaches would say no whey because whey is just another form of protein that is essential to an athelete. They might as well be telling you not to eat chicken or tuna either.

[quote]spiciercao wrote:
Ive tried to however they are hardheaded serbians and have no idea about nutrition. Theyre advice was no junk food and no protein powder. And we dont have a nutritionist either hence why Im posting here for some advice[/quote]

Stick with what they said. I assume that by 40 hours per week, you mean including warm ups, correct? Eat a lot of whole food. There is no special supplement answer. Dialing in your diet is the key, and there it’s not possible to go into such detail here. Get a lot of sleep. Get plenty of sun. Take beta alanine. Eat as much food as you need to maintain your weight.

Best,
BT

**edit - and I just wanted to mention that I didn’t intend my list of supplements (I only listed beta-alanine) to be the be all end all. there are plenty of others you could take as well, including resveratrol and fish oil, as well as dozens of others. But none of them are magic; some may however give you an edge, while most will marginally make you healthier and give you an edge in training in that you will stay healthy.

[quote]on edge wrote:
spiciercao wrote:
Ive tried to however they are hardheaded serbians and have no idea about nutrition. Theyre advice was no junk food and no protein powder. And we dont have a nutritionist either hence why Im posting here for some advice

Why do they say no protein powder?[/quote]

Theyre hard headed Serbians and dont believe in any supplements. The way they see it is you dont need to put anything extra into your body. Dont ask me why

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
spiciercao wrote:
Ive tried to however they are hardheaded serbians and have no idea about nutrition. Theyre advice was no junk food and no protein powder. And we dont have a nutritionist either hence why Im posting here for some advice

Stick with what they said. I assume that by 40 hours per week, you mean including warm ups, correct? Eat a lot of whole food. There is no special supplement answer. Dialing in your diet is the key, and there it’s not possible to go into such detail here. Get a lot of sleep. Get plenty of sun. Take beta alanine. Eat as much food as you need to maintain your weight.

Best,
BT

**edit - and I just wanted to mention that I didn’t intend my list of supplements (I only listed beta-alanine) to be the be all end all. there are plenty of others you could take as well, including resveratrol and fish oil, as well as dozens of others. But none of them are magic; some may however give you an edge, while most will marginally make you healthier and give you an edge in training in that you will stay healthy.[/quote]

Thank you for the advice. Yes its 40 hours with warmup right now because we have school as well now however training hours increase once school is done. Sun is going to be a bit tough to get since its winter already up here but plenty of sleep and whole foods are a must. Im taking a whey protein after practice which is helping me feel fuller and more energetic however i have not heard of either resveratrol or beta-alanine. Could you expand on what those two are?

[quote]spiciercao wrote:
on edge wrote:
spiciercao wrote:
Ive tried to however they are hardheaded serbians and have no idea about nutrition. Theyre advice was no junk food and no protein powder. And we dont have a nutritionist either hence why Im posting here for some advice

Why do they say no protein powder?

Theyre hard headed Serbians and dont believe in any supplements. The way they see it is you dont need to put anything extra into your body. Dont ask me why
[/quote]

Are drug test random? Maybe they fear tainted supplements. I would take their advice. Scratch supplements & use a variety of rich whole foods.

If you are training 40+ hours a week and still carrying extra body fat, it’s your fucking diet. Quit eating shit and get to where you need to be. It’s not that hard to do a quick search on “clean foods”.


[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
If you are training 40+ hours a week and still carrying extra body fat, it’s your fucking diet. Quit eating shit and get to where you need to be. It’s not that hard to do a quick search on “clean foods”.


http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article//nutrition_for_newbies_part_2 [/quote]

X2

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Rhino Jockey wrote:
If you are training 40+ hours a week and still carrying extra body fat, it’s your fucking diet. Quit eating shit and get to where you need to be. It’s not that hard to do a quick search on “clean foods”.


X2[/quote]

PM me if you want a pdf for proper nutrition for athletes.

Okay Ivan,

I have a question, do you know Con Kudaba?

So, where to start? First off, I think you need to be eating every 3-4 hours. Secondly, you should be sticking with whole foods, mostly animal meats, fibreous vegitables and moderate amounts of fruits and nuts.
As far as supplements go, I would reccomend that you get your hands on some fish-oils and vitamin C. 1000mg of Vit.C before and after your training sessions will help keep your cortisol (stress hormone) levels down, and therefore preserving lean body mass.

I’ll need to know more about what you are currently doing now before I can give better advice about where you should be. If you’re serious about finding help through this forum, do me a favour and record your eating habits (what/when/how much etc) along with how that relates to your training (order and type of activities would be helpful too)

Regards,
Nick.

[quote]Nhh wrote:
Okay Ivan,

I have a question, do you know Con Kudaba?

So, where to start? First off, I think you need to be eating every 3-4 hours. Secondly, you should be sticking with whole foods, mostly animal meats, fibreous vegitables and moderate amounts of fruits and nuts.
As far as supplements go, I would reccomend that you get your hands on some fish-oils and vitamin C. 1000mg of Vit.C before and after your training sessions will help keep your cortisol (stress hormone) levels down, and therefore preserving lean body mass.

I’ll need to know more about what you are currently doing now before I can give better advice about where you should be. If you’re serious about finding help through this forum, do me a favour and record your eating habits (what/when/how much etc) along with how that relates to your training (order and type of activities would be helpful too)

Regards,
Nick.
[/quote]

I don’t mean to sound like a pubmed jockey, but do you have a single piece of evidence that that dosage of Vit C is beneficial? I’ve looked and only have ever found that taking Vit C in this way is deleterious and hampers training results.

“Effects of Ascorbic Acid on Serum Cortisol and the Testosterone: Cortisol Ratio in Junior Elite Weightlifters”
By Marsit, Joseph L.; Conley, Michael S.; Stone, Michael H.; Fleck, Steven J.; Kearney, Jay T.; Schirmer, Ginger P.; Keith, Robert L.; Kraemer, William J.; Johnson, Robert L.

I will admit that there seems to be a pattern of evidence here, for every study in favour of Vit. C supp., there is another that screams blasphemy. That said, Vit. C is cheap, and my personal opinion is that if it’s cheap, if it has been shown to work for some people, and it won’t hurt you - try it.

[quote]Nhh wrote:
“Effects of Ascorbic Acid on Serum Cortisol and the Testosterone: Cortisol Ratio in Junior Elite Weightlifters”
By Marsit, Joseph L.; Conley, Michael S.; Stone, Michael H.; Fleck, Steven J.; Kearney, Jay T.; Schirmer, Ginger P.; Keith, Robert L.; Kraemer, William J.; Johnson, Robert L.

I will admit that there seems to be a pattern of evidence here, for every study in favour of Vit. C supp., there is another that screams blasphemy. That said, Vit. C is cheap, and my personal opinion is that if it’s cheap, if it has been shown to work for some people, and it won’t hurt you - try it.
[/quote]

I understand that it’s cheap, but I’ve found dozens of studies showing that it actually does more harm than good. The study you quoted does not quite convince me because, A) IT’s only one bout that was studied and did not show an increase in muscle masss over time vs placebo, and B) although it was only one bout, they did not appear to measure muscle hypertrophy.

I can quote studies that show Vit C decreases MPS, so I’m kind of up in arms, and personally would not recommend mega dosing vit C. A couple hundred mg’s on the other hand…

I’m not one to avoid education, so if you could throw a few of these studies my way I’d appreciate it. And I’ll give you that the study I presented was not long term, however, they were able to demonstrate that serum cortisol levels were lesser in the group that had supplemented w/ Vit. C.

Anyway, I don’t want to go hijacking Ivan’s thread, so if we want to continue this, a PM might be better.