T Nation

Nutrition Still Not Making a Difference

I’ve posted here a number of times for help with nutrition, but no matter what I do it doesn’t seem to make a difference. On workout days I’m at 3100 calories and about 310g protein, 190 net carbs, 115g fat. On non-workout days I’m around 2500 calories, 275g protein, 84 net carbs, 104g fat. Doing this for a couple months I’ve actually lost 5 lbs., even though I’ve cut back cardio. So I’m down to about 178 lbs. my bf is actually up around 13-14%, and I haven’t made a single ounce of strength gain on any major lift in 13 months, in fact most are quite lower.

I’m seriously ready to just cut a check for my gym contract and then cancel my membership. I’m goddamn sick of this fucking shit. I’ve tried creatine, didn’t do shit. Tried protein powder, didn’t do shit. I’ve tried protein & creatine post-workout, didn’t do shit. In fact now that I’m eating more the only thing that’s gotten bigger is the shits I take. I can barely afford food as is, I’m blowing this extra money on food, and I’m just shitting it out.

So one more goddamn fucking time:
Workout Day
Breakfast: 5 hard-boiled eggs, 1.5 servings oatmeal, 4 oz. OJ
Meal 2: banana & 4 oz. broiled chicken breast
Meal 3: apple & 4 oz. broiled chicken breast
Post workout 1: 1.75 cups meat tortellini, 4 Oz. OJ
post workout 2 (immediately following 1): 12 oz. top round steak, 1 cup spinach
snack 1: 4 oz. tuna & 1 Tbsp mayo
snack 2: 2 Tbsp peanut butter
pre-bed: 1.5 oz. cheese

Non Workout Day
Meal 4 12 oz. top round steak, 1 cup spinach

any suggestions for change? I can not afford something like Surge btw. I’ve cut every single luxury out of my life except the internet. I don’t even have TV anymore, so it’d either be Surge, or pay the electric bill :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: Forgot to put goals in: I’m 178 at like 12% right now, like to be at 190 around 8-9. I know i have to get past 190 and then cut. I want my bench to hit 300 (cliche I know), get my squat to 350 (around 300 right now)

What are your goals?

You talk about weight loss, with some increase in BF, then go on to talk about your strength.

What do you mean “tried protein powder, didn’t do shit?” It’s protein, not 'roids, what do you expect?

Lol I’m sorry but why do you think that 2550 cal on non-workout days and 3100 cal on workout days is a lot, especially considering that you seem to have fast metabolism?!?!?
EDIT: I’m assuming you’re trying to gain size and strength here

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
Workout Day
Post workout 1: 1.75 cups meat tortellini, 4 Oz. OJ
post workout 2 (immediately following 1): 12 oz. top round steak, 1 cup spinach

Non Workout Day
Meal 4 12 oz. top round steak, 1 cup spinach
[/quote]

Like others said, not sure of your goal. Your diet needs some tweeking. The only meal I really like is 12 oz. top round steak, 1 cup spinach

1. Get rid of the OJ, way too much sugar. Maybe post workout it could be ok if you can’t afford Surge.
  2. There is about zero fat in Meal 2 and 3. How bout adding some almonds or walnuts.
  3. Drop the mayo from snack 1 and replace with a healthy oil. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, or Coconut Oil.
  4. Snack 2 has no complete source of protein.
  5. I’d rather have some steak pre-bed.

If you are attempting to loose bodyfat, check out this article by CT.
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//refined_physique_transformation

calories are way too low if ur looking to gain some weight and too high if you’re trying to cut down some fat…

Im assuming u want to put on some weight

check Berardi’s massive eating articles…

My guess is it would recommand you about 4000calories/day.

Workout days or not

[quote]zraw wrote:
calories are way too low if ur looking to gain some weight and too high if you’re trying to cut down some fat…

[/quote]

X2

Give more info, and you’ll surely get good advice. We aim to please around here -lol.

S

Well, if you’re eating enough, (which it looks like you aren’t, as others have pointed out…) You must ask yourself one question.

Pussy-itis. Do you have it?

Diet can definitely be improved, but how is your mental health? Sex drive?

On first look it sounds like your trying not to lose weight… and your trying to get stronger and bigger… so this is my reply ~ based on your initial complaint compared to your eating habits…

So stop eating like your dieting.

Ground beef, beans, rice ~ cheese,bread, liberal use of olive oil, avocados, anything high in calories.

Potatos…

Chickenbreast, tuna … I eat that to lose weight not get stronger.

5 eggs = a snack for me I don’t even count it as a meal.

Change your way of thinking - but why are you eating like your dieting? Course you aren’t going to get stronger. Course you will lose weight ~

a freaking snack is 4-5 eggs + a can of tuna + a few slices of cheese + ketchup + salsa + anything else I can eat with this omlette.

If money is that tight though and you are desparately trying to retain what you have and get bigger… you can always go with a pizza chain 5 dollar pizzas or something like that - BUFFETS! - chinese food ~

Mcdonald’s has 1.29 friday fish filets or something those are packed with gazillion calories. o.O

Try adding a glass of milk with every meal. Shots of olive oil are a good way to add extra calories too. Maybe some more carbs too if you’re really trying to get your weight up.

… And stop being a pussy.

Maybe you should alter your exercise,start adding some heavier weights as well.

so basically carbs on non workout days won’t kill me?

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
so basically carbs on non workout days won’t kill me? [/quote]

did you just ignore everyone who asked what your goals were?

Vegetables?

[quote]CGspot wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

did you just ignore everyone who asked what your goals were?[/quote]

? no. I’m saying in addition to everything else here, eating oatmeal with my breakfast on non workout days won’t hurt…nor will meat tortelini, olive oil, etc.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
CGspot wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

? no. I’m saying in addition to everything else here, eating oatmeal with my breakfast on non workout days won’t hurt…nor will meat tortelini, olive oil, etc. [/quote]

You should be having plenty of carbs on your off days as well man. Refills your glycogen stores, more energy, allows you to use more weight and have more intensity next session.

Just get your carbs from veggie sources in your last 2 meals before bed along with some nice protein (BEEF) and you’re golden.

Stick with it.

Drink a gallon of milk… solves many problems…

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
CGspot wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

? no. I’m saying in addition to everything else here, eating oatmeal with my breakfast on non workout days won’t hurt…nor will meat tortelini, olive oil, etc. [/quote]

yet, you still didn’t answer the question.

how about posting a pic?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
CGspot wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

? no. I’m saying in addition to everything else here, eating oatmeal with my breakfast on non workout days won’t hurt…nor will meat tortelini, olive oil, etc.

yet, you still didn’t answer the question.

how about posting a pic?[/quote]

i just noticed he added it to the end of his original post