Nutrition Questions

Guys I have a few Nutritional Questions.

I’m a new trainer at one of our gyms. Everyone of my clients are now watching what they are eating. A few questions poped up. Everyone of these clients is in it for the Fat loss.

Lets get down right to it:
Veggies, do they fall under the Fats or Carbs food category? Confused, I’ve always though they where Carb foods, but resently found out that for example baby spinach is high in “healthy fats”, is that true?

Polysaturated fats, can these be obtained only trhough supplements or through food?

Sea-Food, can I have muscles?

A cheese question, what kind of cheese can I have besides my best friend cottege cheese, and how much of other chesse can I have?

Yogurt (plain or 2%) again under what food category does it fall under Carbs or Fats (I know it’s dairy) so does that mean it’s nither a fat or a carb?

Any good Ideas for females that don’t like to supplement with protein. Smoothies with yogurt and fruits?

Beans, are they all good for you in moderation?

THIS IS A BIG ONE FOR MOST PEOPLE.
VINE, RED OR WHITE, HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

Guys thanks alot for taking the time to read this and hopefully helping me out with this! This is the only place I will ever turn to for help!

Thanks again T Nation!

Hey, no offense, but if you are going to be a trainer, you should start getting used to doing your own research…

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Is that your picture in your avatar?

Well if it is then you at least look like you know what you’re talking about. Now all those poor delude clients are going to be looking to you for all the answers and what do you do, come running here!

Come on man, it really isn’t hard to find the answer to your questions. We shouldn’t be earning your money for you!!

Wheels

Are veggies a good source of fat?? Wow.

You can have all the cheese you want so long as it fits into caloric needs. How/why did you become a trainer?

Hey just wanted to thank you for being one of the guys that give my profession a bad name. Please quit your job or hand over your clients to someone that has been in the game a little longer until you can get yourself some knowledge.

Lift and learn…
DA

[quote]Russhyn wrote:

Veggies, do they fall under the Fats or Carbs food category? …
[/quote]

hmmm, an odd quesion. Not sure how you came up with that… for example, lentils; check and see how many grams of protein a cup of these will give you.

You really need to spend at least a month or so researching the hell out of the topic of nutrition to start to get an idea of what kind of smart questions to really ask, particularly if you intend to give out advice to those counting on you to really know your stuff.

Wow, thanks for the support guys!

I have been in the game for a while , do a search on my threads, Russhyn. I am new to training others, and what worked for me doesn’t mean that it’ll work for them. I’m just trying to pick a few things up. I currently don’t have interned and can not do the research so i though I would turn to you guys for some advice. I guess I’ll just stay off of this forum.

Sorry for waising your time.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Wow, thanks for the support guys!

I have been in the game for a while , do a search on my threads, Russhyn. I am new to training others, and what worked for me doesn’t mean that it’ll work for them. I’m just trying to pick a few things up. I currently don’t have interned and can not do the research so i though I would turn to you guys for some advice. I guess I’ll just stay off of this forum.

Sorry for waising your time.

[/quote]

To be fair, if you are going to be training people it would be an idea to do your homework. I mean would you want someone in the car dealer working on your car who had to go on a forum to ask how to change the oil and stuff ?

With respect.

damn i got to hand it to you guys,
ripping him a new one and he’s looking
for help and advice and he’s a trainer
and i dont see the problem…but if he
was a girl like one one these threads
like Tampa-Terry you all would be tripping over your dicks and going out of your way to help regardless of if they researched or not. just plain
disrespectfull and rude.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Veggies, do they fall under the Fats or Carbs food category? Confused, I’ve always though they where Carb foods, but resently found out that for example baby spinach is high in “healthy fats”, is that true?[/quote]

Food doesn’t just fall into one macronutrient group (protein, fat, carbs). If we’re going to classify watery-cellulose vegetables though, such as onions and brocolli, they would be best considered as fiber plus vitamins and minerals.

Fiber is hardly a carbohydrate though, as it doesn’t fuel the body or get stored as fat. In fact, it probably helps to burn fat, as digestion requires energy. Bottom line: vegetables are good

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Polysaturated fats, can these be obtained only trhough supplements or through food?[/quote]

I think you meant “polyunsaturated” fats, which are found in all sorts of food from meats, to grains to even vegetables like spinach (as you noted), albeit in small amounts. Some polyunsaturated fats are more likely beneficial (omega-3) than others (omega-6).

Omega-3 are found more in vegetables and animals which ate said vegetables. Omega-6 are found more in grains and animals which ate said grains. Buy grass-fed beef.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Sea-Food, can I have muscles?[/quote]

Yes, of course. Fish and shellfish have muscles. You are what you eat.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
A cheese question, what kind of cheese can I have besides my best friend cottege cheese, and how much of other chesse can I have?[/quote]

Everything’s good in moderation, also depending on one’s starting point and goals.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Yogurt (plain or 2%) again under what food category does it fall under Carbs or Fats (I know it’s dairy) so does that mean it’s nither a fat or a carb?[/quote]

Teach a man to fish:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-yogurt000000000000000000000.html

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Any good Ideas for females that don’t like to supplement with protein. Smoothies with yogurt and fruits?[/quote]

You mean, as far as a post-workout shake? Just tell them to go eat a meal with some meat, eggs, nuts, or dairy afterwards. Supplementation is not essential.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Beans, are they all good for you in moderation?[/quote]

Of course, most every food can be good in moderation. Beans are relatively high in protein and fiber, with complex carbohydrates that digest very slowly.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
VINE, RED OR WHITE, HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?[/quote]

When the room spins, you’ve drank too much. Alcohol slows down the metabolism, thereby your body can’t build as much muscle and burn as much fat. It’s contrary then to any physique goals. But a whole lotta fun!

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Guys thanks alot for taking the time to read this and hopefully helping me out with this! This is the only place I will ever turn to for help!

Thanks again T Nation![/quote]

Ok, now piss off :slight_smile:

But keep this handy:
http://www.nutritiondata.com

Hey there! I’d maybe get yourself a copy of Berardi’s PN and read through his articles. I’ve learned so that way. He is pretty straightforward and easy to follow.

Good Luck! AG

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Guys I have a few Nutritional Questions.

I’m a new trainer at one of our gyms. Everyone of my clients are now watching what they are eating. A few questions poped up. Everyone of these clients is in it for the Fat loss.

Veggies, do they fall under the Fats or Carbs food category? Confused, I’ve always though they where Carb foods, but resently found out that for example baby spinach is high in “healthy fats”, is that true? [/quote]

Veggies are very low in fat, except for avocados. They’re carb foods, but only certain veggies, like carrots, parsnips, potatoes, squash, have substantial amounts of carbs. Leafy greens, broccoli, etc. are extremely low in carbs.

[quote]
Polysaturated fats, can these be obtained only trhough supplements or through food?[/quote]

Polyunsaturated fats: Omega-3, 6 and 9. Most people get enough Omega-6 from vegetable oils, and need more Omega-3. It’s found in flax seed, walnuts, and cold-water fatty fish like salmon, mackeral, sardines and anchovies.

[quote]
Sea-Food, can I have muscles?[/quote]

You mean mussels? Sure. If you want them. They’re low in fat, high in protein.

[quote]
A cheese question, what kind of cheese can I have besides my best friend cottege cheese, and how much of other chesse can I have?[/quote]

Depends on your goals. If you’re not concerned with calories, eat lots of cheese. If you are, don’t. Feta tends to be lower fat. Soft cheeses have more fat than hard. Read labels.

[quote]
Yogurt (plain or 2%) again under what food category does it fall under Carbs or Fats (I know it’s dairy) so does that mean it’s nither a fat or a carb?[/quote]

Low fat plain yogurt is about half carbs and half protein. Read the label! If it’s not lowfat, it’s equal in carbs and protein, but has more fat. Labels are amazing things.

Yogurt, cottage cheese, or put cottage cheese in a food processor if you want it smooth. Of course, meat, fish, chicken, tofu, tempeh - these are all protein foods too.

[quote]

Beans are great - high in fibre, low in fat, balanced protein/carbs, high in antioxidants (black beans in particular), and when combined with whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, oats, whole grain pasta), they’re a complete vegetarian protein.

VINE, RED OR WHITE, HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?[/quote]

Trying to lose weight? Don’t drink much - maybe a glass of red (which is much higher in antioxidants).

[quote]Russhyn wrote:

[/quote]

Missed this somehow… beans are high in fibre, low in fat, a balance of carbs/protein, and high in antioxidants. They’re a complete vegetarian protein when combined with whole grains like brown rice. Read the label on a can of beans…

[quote]bartonmlee wrote:
damn i got to hand it to you guys,
ripping him a new one and he’s looking
for help and advice and he’s a trainer
and i dont see the problem…but if he
was a girl like one one these threads
like Tampa-Terry you all would be tripping over your dicks and going out of your way to help regardless of if they researched or not. just plain
disrespectfull and rude.[/quote]

You have to look at the context of the questions he asked. In spite of him saying what works for him won’t work for others, he’s missing the point about him obviously needing to do that all encompassing critical research that’ll answer his current ‘questions’ and prevent him from asking other similar ones in the future - not to mention give his clients confidence he knows his stuff. It’s like him asking why biceps curls won’t develope tricep muscles?

You’re right in a way though, were it a female I wouldn’t have even answered. But maybe we did this guy a good thing now that he realises the simpleness of his enquiries relative to him ‘being’ a trainer already. He really should know much more than he’s shown.

[quote]bartonmlee wrote something to the effect that:

You all suck.
[/quote]

Umm, I didn’t see you providing any great advice?

You are giving sympathy to a guy who :

1 - Takes people money when they believe he has been through some training and at least knows that veggies are are not a good source of “polysaturated” fats

2 - Assuming his training knowledge is on par with his nutritonal knowledge, could be putting his clients in potentially dangerous situations

3 - Clearly doesn’t know his stuff when it comes to the information a trainer should have

Sorry Charlie, you wont find sympath on this board for that kind of behavior.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
You are giving sympathy to a guy who :

1 - Takes people money when they believe he has been through some training and at least knows that veggies are are not a good source of “polysaturated” fats

2 - Assuming his training knowledge is on par with his nutritonal knowledge, could be putting his clients in potentially dangerous situations

3 - Clearly doesn’t know his stuff when it comes to the information a trainer should have

Sorry Charlie, you wont find sympath on this board for that kind of behavior.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve gotta admit, those questions were pretty pathetic considering that anyone could find out the answers with some basic research and by READING LABELS.

[quote]Darkangel wrote:
Hey just wanted to thank you for being one of the guys that give my profession a bad name. Please quit your job or hand over your clients to someone that has been in the game a little longer until you can get yourself some knowledge.

Lift and learn…
DA[/quote]

I second this.

I’m glad to see you’re “trying” to educate yourself, but it’s inexcusable for you to call yourself, let alone actually work as, a trainer, without at least moderate knowledge of nutrition.