Nutrition Questions, What to Eat?

So, I lift a ton, but its all I do. I have no idea about nutrition at all. I’m a big guy I guess, Im gonna say around 200 pounds at 16% body fat. Looking to cut down a lot. But as far as eating goes, I have no idea what to stay away from!

I know of course stay away from junk food, soda, and the such, but…heres what I’m looking for. A list of sorts of EAT PLENTY OF THIS, and NONE OF THIS. Not looking for the foods to eat, but say…

Eat tons of protein, carbs, this type of fat, and stay away from these macro nutrients or whatever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated <3

omg. WHY are people so LAZY. There is a search function on the bottom of the PAGE. There is a NUTRITION + Supplements button on the MAIN PAGE of T-Nation.

Eat plenty of whole foods, eat none of the highly processed ones(-supplements).

Not the advice you wanted, but it will work. I don’t believe it is smart to avoid an entire macro nutrient, just make smart choices in each. Pick good sources of fats like flax, fish oil, almonds, peanut butter, olive oil. Choose nice lean protein sources and reduced fat dairy if you are going to include some. Limit your carbs to fuits, veggies, and whole grains. Time the majority of your carb intake for early in the day and within an hour of your workouts.

Go to the search bar, type in T-Dawg 2.0

Since you seem like a simple dude, this is a simple diet.

It should give you an idea of what to eat and what not to eat, when and how much.

If this fails, there are literally hundreds of articles on this site if you just search.

good luck

You need to learn how to do a food log. Monitor everything that goes into your mouth. If you can keep your carbs under 40grams a day you should see some success.

This list is fairly simple. It would be a good start.

Get Fish oil 2 tbl/day take some with each meal.

Get 25G-50G of fiber each day, psyllium husk powder, flax seed meal 50/50 ratio is a pretty good start.

Get around 200 g protein/day that’s about a 100gram (3.5 oz serving 6 times a day. Get this from top sirloin, venison, poultry white meat, eggs.

Eat something green with each meal, spinach, cooked greens, asparagus, that kind of stuff.

Try 2400 Kcal a day, if you lose weight great. If not start lowering it by 300 Kcal a day. Once you lose a pound or two a week, then have one day where you carb up, but not pig out.

I’m sure other’s will give you plenty of advice.

[quote]Zagman wrote:

Not the advice you wanted, but it will work. I don’t believe it is smart to avoid an entire macro nutrient, just make smart choices in each. Pick good sources of fats like flax, fish oil, almonds, peanut butter, olive oil. Choose nice lean protein sources and reduced fat dairy if you are going to include some. Limit your carbs to fuits, veggies, and whole grains. Time the majority of your carb intake for early in the day and within an hour of your workouts.[/quote]

I realize you are sensitive about this stuff, and I don’t want you to get upset, but I feel obligated to point out that you are simultaneously recommending unprocessed food and low-fat dairy. What is low-fat dairy if not highly-processed food?

And don’t get me started on lean protein… What the hell is the point? So, no steak or fish, then? Or chicken legs? You know, all the meat that we crave and that tastes good.

To the OP, just eat real food. Meat, fish, nuts, veggies, fruit, dairy if you want, and oh, you might want to read an article or two, it wouldn’t kill you would it?

Do a search for carb cycling. I think you’ll get alot of the info you need from that. Yea, and the whole food thing, that’s good policy, as well. Learn to track your calories - get a food scale and know exactly what goes into your body. Track it on fitday.com. That, all by itself, will make a huge difference. You don’t realize how much is going in until you actually see it in black and white.

DJ

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
Zagman wrote:

Not the advice you wanted, but it will work. I don’t believe it is smart to avoid an entire macro nutrient, just make smart choices in each. Pick good sources of fats like flax, fish oil, almonds, peanut butter, olive oil. Choose nice lean protein sources and reduced fat dairy if you are going to include some. Limit your carbs to fuits, veggies, and whole grains. Time the majority of your carb intake for early in the day and within an hour of your workouts.

I realize you are sensitive about this stuff, and I don’t want you to get upset, but I feel obligated to point out that you are simultaneously recommending unprocessed food and low-fat dairy. What is low-fat dairy if not highly-processed food?

And don’t get me started on lean protein… What the hell is the point? So, no steak or fish, then? Or chicken legs? You know, all the meat that we crave and that tastes good.

To the OP, just eat real food. Meat, fish, nuts, veggies, fruit, dairy if you want, and oh, you might want to read an article or two, it wouldn’t kill you would it?[/quote]

Removing a portion of the milk fat isn’t highly processed.

Lean meats - avoid the fattier cuts of meat when possible. I would rather eat a nicely prepared 6oz of lean meat for the same amount of calories of 3oz of fatty meat. You don’t have to choose 99.9% lean, just make choices like the top sirloin instead of the porterhouse. It isn’t all or nothing.

I am sorry that I phrased it as all or nothing, the subject is not all or nothing. I meant it as the most dumbed down version I could think of since he asked for an all or nothing list, so I gave him two all or nothing recomendations which does not do justice to the topic.

I am just saying to eat real food. We agree on this.

Thx a lot guys~ Just what I was looking for :slight_smile:

And I tried to do a search, but I guess I couldnt get the wording right, Im a huge leech here, as you can see I have been a member since 04, But I never really looked in to the whole carb cycle thing, just knew to eat my meats and veggies ^^.

The t-dawg diet suggests 100/70 carbs on training/non-training days now instead of 70/30.

Should I start off at 100/70 and just reduce it if I dont see the pounds coming off? Or just stick to the lower and do 70/30?