Nutrition Quest 3

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1528043
by Mike Rousell

Hi Mike,

Great article you posted today. I have a question regarding carb-ups/refeeds during a cutting phase (which in my case will last about 4 weeks).

If I’m following a diet essentially similar to the T-Dawg 2.0 Diet, i.e. 5 or 6 days of keeping my carbs under 100 grams per day followed by one day of letting myself carb up – IF I’m using Surge post-workout, even on the low-carb days (while still keeping the daily total below 100 grams of carbs), does this lessen or eliminate the need for a “carb-up” day every sixth or seventh day?

Would that carb-up day just become redundant and start making me fat? (I hope not – it keeps me sane)!

Thanks in advance.

The article seems to be another way to basically say “carb loading”. This would probably explain why subjects keep losing weight even after the Velocity Diet is over. What kind of carb ratio are you speaking of, on average, when you go on a refeed day. Do you just “eat normally” or is there a certain gram amount your shooting for?

Oh shnap, and good article. Nutrition is one of those things I always like to read a million things. A lot of it contradicts but, I find what works for me admist all the falsities out there.

Hi,

Frankly, my refeeds are essentially just “cheat days,” so I really don’t count the carb intake on those days. I just know it qualifies as “a lot.” :slight_smile:

[quote]cactrotman wrote:
The article seems to be another way to basically say “carb loading”. This would probably explain why subjects keep losing weight even after the Velocity Diet is over. What kind of carb ratio are you speaking of, on average, when you go on a refeed day. Do you just “eat normally” or is there a certain gram amount your shooting for?[/quote]

[quote]Damici wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1528043
by Mike Rousell

Hi Mike,

Great article you posted today. I have a question regarding carb-ups/refeeds during a cutting phase (which in my case will last about 4 weeks).

If I’m following a diet essentially similar to the T-Dawg 2.0 Diet, i.e. 5 or 6 days of keeping my carbs under 100 grams per day followed by one day of letting myself carb up – IF I’m using Surge post-workout, even on the low-carb days (while still keeping the daily total below 100 grams of carbs), does this lessen or eliminate the need for a “carb-up” day every sixth or seventh day?

Would that carb-up day just become redundant and start making me fat? (I hope not – it keeps me sane)!

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I’d be interested in hearing about this too Mike. I started the T-dawg last week and am axiously awaiting my cheat day on saturday.

Also, i just signed up for the Max-out Radio. I’m very impressed so far. Keep up the good work.

Great protein powder receipes again, it seems that now I use more and more protein powders for receipes, bars etc than protein shakes, these two bars receipes in the article are just AWESOME! Thanks again Mike, for some great infos.

“Another strategy that Dr. Pasquale recommends is to eat low GI carbs for the first half of your reefed and higher GI carbs for the second half. This will initially keep your body’s secretion of insulin in check allowing you to consume more carbohydrates overall.”

As an AD’er myself, I must give this a try… I’ve been eating a lot of junky, high GI stuff on the carbload days, and,- while making progress - gained more fat than when I did cleaner carbups … maybe even TOO clean ( energy was not so good ), so this might be the solution!

[quote]Damici wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1528043
by Mike Rousell

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

100 carbs per day isn’t that much. it does depend on your body size though. I still think that you can use carb ups though. If you aren’t losing enough weight then 1 day of “letting loose” is too much. One strategy that I was just discussing with trainer Jimmy Smith is using strategic carb ups the day before certain workouts.

This goes along the same premise of the anabolic diet where you carb up over the weekend and then monday morning your are 3-5lbs heavier (water) and the pumps during your workout are incredible. If you are eating 100g carbs per day double that on a day prior to a workouts you want to target. Depending on how much body fat you have currently you maybe able to do this 1-2 times a week without negative impact.

Monday ? Workout A ? Double carbs here
Tuesday ? Workout B
Wednesday ? Off
Thursday ? Workout C ? Double carbs here
Friday ? Workout D

This would of course take the place of your “free day”

-Mike

Thanks Mike. I had a feeling that a carb-up day was still ok. Besides, on my non-workout days I’m not even taking Surge, so my carbs on those days are realistically probably even under 50 grams.

For the record, I’m 5’11", currently around 207. (I figure I’ll look the way I want somewhere between 200 and 202).

Thanks again.

im gonna make those protien bars this weekend.

im a sucker for a healthy snack. anything to break up the monotonous chicken/rice repeat deal.

Mike, I’ve heard some other things about refeeds. While a short-duration refeed does not improve thyroid function or metabolism, it’s said hat it does impact leptin levels and other complicated hormones associated with satiety.

So there’s a physiological as well as a psychological basis to being satisfied for a period of time after a refeed during strict diet [such as Get Shredded].

Personally, when I did Get Shredded, I was much more satisfied and and full the couple DAYS following the refeed than the remaining portion of the two weeks before the next one. Thoughts?

Protein bars look real good. Will have a look at them this weekend…thanks mike.