T Nation

Nutrition Program Review


#1

hello friends
I am aged 19 year old and am from india.I have been training on and off for a year now ,not been conistent with training but now i am thinking of going all out this year with full dedication and consistency and look forward to compete by next year,I have got a training program from a prominent coach in india,But he doesnt do nutrition programs so i have started reading on nutrition as much as possible and drafted myself a nutrition program,i would be very grateful to you all if you had review it and tell me any changes you think will do better,thanks

stats :
5'11
176 pounds

meal 1
3 hardboiled eggs
whey protein shake
2 banana or an apple

1 hr travel to gym
creatine 5 gram+ water as pre workout

training

meal 2 (pwo)
gatorade + 5 gram creatine
whey protein shake +glutamine
banana
10 min latyer: subway sandwich
1 hr travel back

meal 3
4 egg omellete +whole wheat toast

meal 4(lunch)
250 gram chicken breast
basmati white rice
big salad (cucumber+carrot+tomato)

meal 5 ( evening snack)

4 boiled eggs

meal 6( dinner )
250 grams grilled chicken
big salad

meal 7 ( bedtime)

I am a bit confused between the following,cottage cheese/full fat milk/whey protein shake with glutamine.

Also in between meals how about milk glasses (whole full cream )

thanks already

with this i am following a push pull leg workout which i would update soon for you people to review,

Also theres a problem on tuesdays and saturdays i cant eat non vegetarian food because of religious reasons,so if someone could please suggest vegetarian protein source for those two days,

also is it reasonable to expect competing in an year.


#2
  1. You didn’t calculate the total amount of calories, carbs, protein, and fat. Nor do we know what your body looks like aside from your back shot. So we wouldn’t know if this diet is appropriate. The food choices are fine for a lifestyle diet though. I don’t quite get why you would separate the sandwich and PWO items by ten minutes, but if you want to do that, and those items altogether fall in line with your daily macros and kcals, that’s fine.
  1. Why are you confused about cottage cheese and milk? Pardon my sarcasm, but how can foods be confusing?

  2. Glasses of milk in between the meals you’ve listed, despite not knowing the exact kcal amount here, will likely give you total caloric intake for the day that you DON’T need. You are 170-something pounds, and you very likely do not need a 4,000+ kcal diet.

  3. If you need to go vegetarian on Tuesdays and Saturdays, that’s fine. Just eat eggs, tofu or whatever soy product, cheese, yogurt, and protein powder for protein (you know this already). One of the best tasting protein powders I’ve tried was a rice protein powder. There are rice, hemp and pea protein powders if you have go the vegan route.

  4. Push-pull-legs is a great split for naturals. However, I think for a guy in your shoes, you would be better off with an upper-lower split or full body routine (gasp!) until you add some appreciable amount of muscle and get some decent strength. Many here might disagree with me though.

  5. I think you need more muscle and need to know a bit more to compete.


#3

Hey man thanks for replying.yeah I am sorry I missed writing the macros. To be very honest I only care for protein and carbs i find very difficult to manage or calculate them. Still I am gonna try and put them numbers here.

I am not that much of beginner that I need to follow a full body workout.ignore the profile pic…its way older. I can easily do bodyweight on all basic movements.so push/pull and leg would be quiet right for me I suppose but still thanks

Milk and cottage cheese.i am confused because per serving of cottage cheese inhave access to like say a 100 gram has 18 gram protein and 20 gram fat.whereas milk would have very less fat but also less protein per say 100 ml… and I need to know will that fat from cottage cheese be good as I will be sleeping in sometime and metabolism will be slower than usual


#4

I am shotting for a minimum of 1 gram per pound of body weight
currently this programs protein macros add up to almost 205 gram
.now to very honest I dont really know how do I calculate all those carbs


#5

You shouldnt only concentrate on carbs and protein. Fats are just as important.


#6

[quote]bigkid_india wrote:
Hey man thanks for replying.yeah I am sorry I missed writing the macros. To be very honest I only care for protein and carbs i find very difficult to manage or calculate them. Still I am gonna try and put them numbers here. [/quote]

Which is why you need to educate yourself on nutrition in general considering that’s the only way you’re going to understand it. I don’t know why you are only caring for carbs and protein considering fat intake will factor into daily caloric intake.

I don’t want to be some “tough love” guy but you’re sorely lacking in understanding all this and no amount of conversing through threads is going to provide enough info considering very few people are going to write entire how-to articles here for free, considering patience and time.

Carbs have four calories per gram. Protein has four calories per gram. Fat has nine calories per gram. Figure it out.

[quote]

I am not that much of beginner that I need to follow a full body workout.ignore the profile pic…its way older. I can easily do bodyweight on all basic movements.so push/pull and leg would be quiet right for me I suppose but still thanks. [/quote]

Are you saying you can do far more than 170 in the bench, deadlift, and squat, or that you can only rep out with that weight? If you are using 170 in those lifts, you are a noob, unless your strength potential is very low.

[quote]
Milk and cottage cheese.i am confused because per serving of cottage cheese inhave access to like say a 100 gram has 18 gram protein and 20 gram fat.[/quote]

I don’t know what brand you are using, but full fat cottage cheese for brands here do not have that much fat per 100 gram serving, which is like a half a cup. Anyway, even if your brand has 20 grams, it is not a confusing fact.

Actually the difference in fat between four oz of full fat cottage cheese and a half a cup or so of milk have similar macros. This is not a confusing matter, and different foods provide different macros. Again, you have to read up on nutrition and apply and experiment.

It is OK to eat fat, protein, carbs–eat whatever!–before bed so long as the macros for the day are hit.


#7

Dude it will be more helpful if you could link to an article.


#8

[quote]bigkid_india wrote:
Dude it will be more helpful if you could link to an article.[/quote]

Dude. How bout you use google. This is all common knowledge.


#9

K


#10

[quote]bigkid_india wrote:
K [/quote]

There are hundreds upon hundreds of nutrition articles on THIS site you’re on, not to mention maybe a million-plus articles all over the net.


#11

No I thought something basic like maybe macro management and also how to count calories as far as bodybuilding goals go.calculator on mayoclinic.com doesnt make sense to me as a strength trainee because its basis are difference but yeah anyways I found romans lean body mass calorie calculator. I think that would do the job and also I guess macro I can follow for a bulk can be 40/40/20:p/c/f.do comment whether this macro make up sounds right…also what does your experience tells you as far as macros for a bulk go


#12

[quote]bigkid_india wrote:
No I thought something basic like maybe macro management and also how to count calories as far as bodybuilding goals go.[/quote]

Yeah, like some of the ones on this site.

[quote]
calculator on mayoclinic.com doesnt make sense to me as a strength trainee because its basis are difference [/quote]
Huh? The point of an online nutrition calculator is to tally calories and macros, regardless of whether you exercise or not, the same you’d do it with a regular calculator, pen, and paper.

[quote]

but yeah anyways I found romans lean body mass calorie calculator. I think that would do the job and also I guess macro I can follow for a bulk can be 40/40/20:p/c/f.do comment whether this macro make up sounds right…also what does your experience tells you as far as macros for a bulk go[/quote]

You don’t need approval after you read what to do.

Any breakdown will work for a bulk, so long as protein is set around 0.8-1 g per pound bodyweight and calories are set right.

I don’t think you should do an aggressive bulk.


#13

Dude dude ok :stuck_out_tongue: why you so touchy and anguished .I am new to this site.and forum seems useful…I am not seeking approval specifically from you.just wanting to know if something else might be better


#14

And I agree with your point that I shouldn’t go with an aggressive bulk…I also think so…I would probably go for a cleaner just some extra calorie say 500 bulk


#15

-Calculate your (approximate) calories. Pick ANY on line calculator, because this is just going to give you a starting point anyway.

-Set Protein intake at minimum of 1g/lb (I’m a fan of 1.25g actually)

-Make sure your throw in a decent amount of healthy fat choices because you NEED them to maintain proper hormone levels if you want to gain muscle. Some people will tell you 10% of you daily cals, others will go as high as 20%. Everyone is different. Usually if you’ve been making progress on a higher carb/lower fat diet you’ll be okay with 10%.

-Now, with the protein and fat intake set, figure out how many cals you have left to reach your daily goal, and fill it in with carbs. Some people get overly anal about sources, timing (spread evenly over meals, or having some meals P+C and otherds P+F) etc. With this, you’ll need to figure what works best for you in terms of your personal food choices. For example, I like eating cottage cheese with protein powder and cashews. This meal combination is pretty low in carbs, hence P+F. Because I see no reason to add carbs in just for the sake of it, it allows me to put more carbs at other feedings.

-Follow the plan for a few weeks, and track your morning scale weight every day. At the end of each week, look at your lowest reading for that week. If after a few weeks you find that your lowest weight went up, you’re on track. If not, you need to readjust your target cal intake and recalculate #s.

Hope that helps a little. And for the record, the guy trying to give you the most advice, Brick, is an actual RD, CPT, and IMO one of the brightest guys (especially when it comes to nutrition) on this site.

S


#16

What is RD CPT ?


#17

And thanks man been looking for this kinda reply only…and I also appreciate brick giving me advice…this is forum in my opinion best ever.if it used right way


#18

[quote]bigkid_india wrote:
What is RD CPT ?[/quote]

registered dietician
certified personal trainer

He knows what he’s talking about, and he’s given good advice. You should take it.


#19

Ok yeah man sure…also I was meaning to ask is gatorade peri and post wokrout ok ? To both you and brick.thanks


#20

it’s fine for hydration and some carbs, but you should also take in a protein source post workout. preferably in shake form.