Nutrition, Longevity and Disease

10 page paper, excellent read:

1 Like

Interesting article. I do have Longo’s book on longevity, so I was already familiar with some of his work.

On the matter of Time Restricted Eating: He mentions the association between TRE (specifically skipping breakfast) and higher mortality. It is interesting that this kind of association shows up despite the benefits of TRE that can be seen in biomarkers and in changes in certain molecular mechanisms that supposedly favor longevity. I wish he had speculated more about why this might be.

He is obviously a big fan of Fast Mimicking Diets, and (I think) has a financial interest in promoting a commercial version (ProLon).

In October, I succumbed to the positive press about FMD, and gave one a shot (not his Prolon meal kit, but a DIY alternative). I had just come back from a 10 day trip where I had eaten a little too much, and I was hoping to kick start some weight loss. It was supposed to be a 5 day FMD. I made it about half way through before I quit. I hadn’t slept very well on the two previous nights of the diet, and then spent most of the third day feeling hungry, irritable, and low energy. By the evening, I felt so bad that I couldn’t imagine lasting 2 more days. So I had a nice dinner and felt much better.

Needless to say, I am now much more skeptical about claims that these FMDs are easy to do. That wasn’t my experience.

1 Like