Nutrition for Young Athletes

Does anyone know of a good, concise source of basic nutrition information geared for high school age athletes?

This is good for everyone. Get a high schooler to develop these habits early and he’ll be set.

Thanks, that looks pretty good. Anyone else know of anything?

Pretty much anything by JB. Check out his website, search his name, buy precision nutrition.

What age athletes are you talking about? Middle school? High school? Kids these age are very impressionable.

I honestly think if you add too much too quick it’ll put them off to basic healthy nutrition as it may be too hard. If you get a high school aged athlete doing most of those 7 things, good habits will form for the rest of his career, and hopefully life.

With diets and nutrition, I think most peoples problem is that they try and be too specific and precise, without actually establish healthy eating habits as a part of their lifestyle first.

They find it too hard to stick with their super strict precise programs, start deviating from it and get in a rut, stalling their progress etc.

So yeah, what the above said, make sure they are getting used to healthy eating habits first, then once it’s ingrained into them, their diets can be more specific.

These are high school age kids. I know exactly what you’re saying about keeping it simple. What you gave me was good, I was just looking to see if there were any other sources that people knew of. As far as the basic stuff, I could tell them, but I wanted it to be from someone more “official”. Thanks for the info.

[quote]BigAlSwede wrote:
As far as the basic stuff, I could tell them, but I wanted it to be from someone more “official”. Thanks for the info. [/quote]

The guy who wrote that, John Berardi, I’m 99% sure he’s got a phd in nutrition at this point. I’d have to double-check.