T Nation

Nutrition for Relative Strength?

Whats up, first of all I would like to thank all of those who have responded to my past posts. The information has been very helpful.

I am a 6’2", 245 pound man with 16% bodyfat. I know some of you think that is too high, but I have one last goal before I start slimming down for some activities at the end of the summer.

I would like to bench press 100 pounds over my weight, front squat 100 pounds over my weight, and deadlift at least 100 pounds over my weight. (All 1 or 2 rep maxes)

Currently:

Bench 315, Dead 345, Front Squat 205

The thing is, usually as I get stronger I get bigger (muscle and fat). I started doing Bill Starr’s 5x5 Linear Program, and have gotten stronger with only gaining about 5 pounds.

When I don’t eat enough, my max strength suffers (obviously) and I don’t make progress. When I eat a lot, I feel very strong but I get bigger…which negates any “relative” strength gains…

My question is: How/what should I be eating to stay about the same weight and get max strength increases?

Consider this:
Do what it takes to get up to your desired lifts. Then when you go to trim off the body fat, make it a priority to MAINTAIN your strength. This CAN be done, I’ve personally done it. All it takes is smart training, nutrient timing, and supplementation. Then when you have trimmed off the fat, your relative strength will be pretty high. You’ll be doing everything for well OVER 100lbs of your body weight. Dieting doesn’t have to mean LOSING strength, it just doesn’t usually mean gaining any (unless your a beginner).

Just my $.02

[quote]dmo82 wrote:
Whats up, first of all I would like to thank all of those who have responded to my past posts. The information has been very helpful.

I am a 6’2", 245 pound man with 16% bodyfat. I know some of you think that is too high, but I have one last goal before I start slimming down for some activities at the end of the summer.

I would like to bench press 100 pounds over my weight, front squat 100 pounds over my weight, and deadlift at least 100 pounds over my weight. (All 1 or 2 rep maxes)

Currently:

Bench 315, Dead 345, Front Squat 205

The thing is, usually as I get stronger I get bigger (muscle and fat). I started doing Bill Starr’s 5x5 Linear Program, and have gotten stronger with only gaining about 5 pounds.

When I don’t eat enough, my max strength suffers (obviously) and I don’t make progress. When I eat a lot, I feel very strong but I get bigger…which negates any “relative” strength gains…

My question is: How/what should I be eating to stay about the same weight and get max strength increases?[/quote]

Lemme see if I got this straight. You want to intentionally keep your overall weight down so as to have a smaller number to best by those poundages on those lifts?

I basically want to get stronger for my current bodyweight. I want to still weigh 245 or 250 but increase strength. I would like to be able to bench press 100 pounds over my weight. If I continue to gain weight as I get stronger, it kind of defeats the purpose.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
Consider this:
Do what it takes to get up to your desired lifts. Then when you go to trim off the body fat, make it a priority to MAINTAIN your strength. This CAN be done, I’ve personally done it. All it takes is smart training, nutrient timing, and supplementation. Then when you have trimmed off the fat, your relative strength will be pretty high. You’ll be doing everything for well OVER 100lbs of your body weight. Dieting doesn’t have to mean LOSING strength, it just doesn’t usually mean gaining any (unless your a beginner).

Just my $.02 [/quote]

Yeah I was planning on doing something similar once I reached my absolute strength goals. I just wondered if there was some way to avoid a large weight gain while reaching the goals. BTW thanks for stealing Jarmon Fortson! War Eagle

War Eagle my ass. I thought the USF bulls trample War Eagle when it dropped dead the middle of the stadium. (I’m from Tampa ;} )
Go 'Noles.