T Nation

Nutrition for Faster Hair Growth

Yeah, I know it’s a girly topic.

Before I started training (about 4 years ago), I let my hair grow for over a year. As you might expect, I had a huge fro which grew like a weed. Of course, the combination of my huge hair and untrained physique was less than attractive. (I’m an FFB.) When I got into shape and stayed that way over the next 3 years (until now), I favored shorter hairstyles, from about 5/8 inch at most to completely shaved bald. Worse, the last couple of times I have been at that upper limit I have had problems with thinning hair (baldness is in the cards for myself and my older brother…sniffle…He’s only 23 and it’s starting…sob). But I’d like to go back to my onetime length, because the effect could be a lot different with some muscle to back it up.

So I’m wondering what I can do for my diet to prevent shedding and make my hair grow faster if at all possible. I really doubt I am missing any nutrient. As it stands I eat a high protein diet (250-300 grams a day) consisting of everything in my sightline (not clean, but that I don’t think that’s relevant to my hair). I also take a multivitamin and creatine, if this means anything. So is there anything I can add for better results? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

A good quality fish oil supplement and organic extra virgin coconut oil (4 tbs a day)

Fish oil helping in hair growth? I’ve never heard of that, can you point to some literture to back this up?

Reid

There are no nutrients that will increase hair growth. I have been taking Propecia for many years when I noticed my hair beginning to thin. I still have a thick set of hair.

Propecia works - believe me but it is expensive and you must take it everyday.

Pre-natal vitamins will work wonders for hair and fingernail growth. Don’t know what else it will do to you or how you get them if you’re not pregnant. My wife and every girl in the office agrees that these things work.

Thanks for your responses.

Research Saw Palmetto to slow the shed.
It took about 30-45 days before I began noticing results.
It may take longer or shorter for you.
Find some that is standardized to 85-95% fatty acids.
May hair be with you!

Gonta:

And i quote:

“Incidentally, Proscar (finasteride 5 mg, also made by Merck) is the same exact thing as Propecia, just at 5 times the dose per tablet. Interestingly enough, both the 1 mg Propecia and the 5 mg Proscar cost about the same at the pharmacy (go figure). So, if you can get a prescription for Proscar and are handy with one of those little pill splitters, you can save some serious cash.”

In case you had not seen this. There is also a dosing tip in TCs recent assorted bits of wisdom article.

Jaime

Jameo; thanks - I’ll see if the cost is the same here. An article by TC on this? When?

"Proscar Made Easy

To make divvying up a 5 mg., five-sided Proscar tablet a lot easier, measure out five shots of cheap vodka into a plastic Coke bottle. Drop the tablet into the vodka and shake it until it dissolves. Then drink one shot every day. No need to take a bite of a lime and slam the shot glass down on the counter.

This makes it fairly easy to make sure you?re getting 1 gram of finasteride a day, no more, no less."

Thats from the Assorted Bits of Wisdom article late 2004- just go into the archives.

Alternatively use the search facility to search for “finasteride” “proscar” or “propecia” and there is more information if you want it.

HTH

Jaimeo

Or you can just divvy the tabs up into fourths, and get slightly more than a gram of finasteride per day.

If you do take pre-natal vitamins, be careful of the high iron content, too much iron is not good for men. Donating blood will help alleviate too much iron in a man’s system.

how about a way to slow it down. ive got an overabundant amount and would be willing to part with some if the price is right.

[quote]reidhoch wrote:
Fish oil helping in hair growth? I’ve never heard of that, can you point to some literture to back this up?

Reid[/quote]

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,783,00.html

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,783,00.html

Those two are for fish oil…

as for coconut, being Indian, our culture has used this for years for healthy hair, I just finished a book where coconut has similar benefits to saw palmetto, because they are actually related, I hope that helps, this is a another article that correlates hair loss to insulin resistance:

I read somewhere that dandruff shampoo helps so I take half a bottle fill the other half with tea made from ginko biloba and saw palmetto. then I add two sleeping pills ground up. The pills with Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. Walgreens generic brand. I know it all sounds a litte funny but it seems to work for me. I also add all the same ingredients to a conditioner. My hair was starting to thin out and I didn’t feel like spending a fortune. Been using it for two years now with only positive results.

[quote]spaceman wrote:
I read somewhere that dandruff shampoo helps so I take half a bottle fill the other half with tea made from ginko biloba and saw palmetto. then I add two sleeping pills ground up. The pills with Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. Walgreens generic brand. I know it all sounds a litte funny but it seems to work for me. I also add all the same ingredients to a conditioner. My hair was starting to thin out and I didn’t feel like spending a fortune. Been using it for two years now with only positive results.[/quote]

Whoa. Any ideas as to why it works?

What about some Chia Pet seeds? Sprinkle some on your head and watch it grow!

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
What about some Chia Pet seeds? Sprinkle some on your head and watch it grow![/quote]

Ha! Ha!Ha! Why didn’t I think of that!!??!!