T Nation

Nutrition for Bodyweight Training

Due to time constraints, I have a new program, which emphasizes bodyweight training.

Should I still follow the Massive Eating Diet plan?

Rather, since I am mostly doing bodyweight training, should I cut back on calories?

Day 1:

Bicep Curl
Weighted Pull-ups
Wide Grip Bench Press

Day 2:
8 sets of 20 push-ups, spread throughout the day.

Day 3:

Weighted Pull-ups
Front Squat

Day 4:

Day 5:

Weighted pull-ups

Day 6:

Four 400 M sprints

Day 7:

It looks like you're doing enough work. Are you eating to maintain or get bigger?

Just keep eating and see what happens. your G-flux should continue even with BW stuff.

Why only 20 push ups? What are you training for? Army? marines?

If this is a reduction in activity for you then eat accordingly. But if you've been eating tons for a while then your vasal metaboli rate should be set fairly high already. you should be good.

I'm training to get bigger. I'm not in the military, but I just wanted to try something different, and to spend less time in the gym.

you might want to make the push ups into sets of almost max reps, as in stop just before you hit failure. and maybe add in some pistols or some kind of leg move. this will assure that the muscles that 'eat' the most food are being stimulated a lot.

You must be very busy if you can't get 4 1.25 hour sessions at the gym. that must suck. gotta make a buck though...

have fun

BW moves done in high reps use big-time calories.

Didn't you have a totally different routine in the other forum?

Eat for your goals not so much for the program. They go together for sure but are seperate as well. Eat less lose, eat more gain and recover better.

Plus eating more gaining you are adding an auto linear progression type of stimulus to BW training. As you gain your having to lift more.

Yeah, I had a program designed previously, but decided to change it due to newly discovered time constraints.

I don't know, it looks like some pretty awkward exercise selection, no? Maybe add in some bodyweight dips?

If you're just doing bodyweight stuff for upper body, I'd say for your upperbody body weight days, you could do push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and handstand shoulder press (I don't know how hard this would be for you, but basically you do a hand stand with your feet against the wall and do shoulder press with your bodyweight...they're an awesome upperbody body weight exercise).

I would do a circuit of these 4 exercises in my dorm room on the night before a track meet when I didn't feel like going to the gym (there was a water pipe above my computer desk that I would do chin-ups off of, usually naked, and my friends would tell me they could see my bare ass from the street...hahaha). I'd do 10 reps for each exercise 10 times with 1-2 minute rest in between. It is a lot harder than it sounds and very effective.

Also, mix up your grips and hand positioning. Push-ups you could do wide-stanced, narrow, diamond, staggered, leg-ups, legs-up, etc.
Chins/Pulls you could do narrow grip, wide grip, chins, staggered/type writers, behind the neck, etc. Basically just mix it up and have fun.

The random addition of Bicep curls seems unnecessary to me, especially if you are just focusing on mass, as the pull-ups will do plenty to add mass to your arms.

If you did that upperbody routine 2-3x a week and then Front/Back squat and deadlift 1-2x a week you'd be on your way.