T Nation

Nutrition During Illness

Every time I get the flu or some other illness, I’m forced to take anywhere between 3-6 days off from working out. This also upsets my diet.

While its not a regular affair, even those 3-4 times a year feel frustrating.

Anyway, what do you guys do when you’re sick? Stick to your usual diet? Cut down on a few things? Drastically alter your diet?

I’m really not sure what to do. For example, I keep the protein shakes on but I wonder if thats just a waste with my sickness and all.

Thanks for your time.

When you’re sick, depending on the severity, your focus should be on getting better. Worrying about your diet, training, and what you’re missing out on is likely extending your illness.

A few days, even a few times a year, are not going to make any difference whatsoever. It’s less than a drop in the bucket.

Read this:

http://www.ericcressey.com/invincibleimmunity.html

Glutamine is AWESOME. I use it every day.

Seriously, Calories are important, but just treat illness like an overnight fast. If you have a hard time eating, stick to casein and fats. Get carbs in when you can.

Your goal should just be to not get sick. Since I started lifting and eating right (3 years ago), I haven’t been sick once.

[quote]T234 wrote:
Your goal should just be to not get sick. Since I started lifting and eating right (3 years ago), I haven’t been sick once. [/quote]

I agree. For the average person, there is no reason to get sick three times a year.

[quote]GathCity wrote:
T234 wrote:
Your goal should just be to not get sick. Since I started lifting and eating right (3 years ago), I haven’t been sick once.

I agree. For the average person, there is no reason to get sick three times a year.
[/quote]

I also would adress this attack the problem dont treat the symptoms. But yes stay fed etc and concentrate o getting well sickness happens from time to time.

Phill

When I’m sick I focus on keeping my diet as clean as possible. I figure that the healthy food my body needs to build muscle helps my body when its run down to get back to normal faster.

When im sick, and know ill be doing a lot of sleeping, and not getting in as many meals as i should, i up the BCAA’s in attempt to halt any catabolism that could occur from missing all those meals. Anybody go this route ?

–ws4

I guess you could, but any muscle mass you loose during sickness, you can easily gain back. I’d have to say its a waste of money. Use them when your working out.