T Nation

Nutrition Books?

Hi, i'm 18 and starting college in a month (majoring in nutrition & dietetics, also doing the pre-med track). I'm passionate about medicine and nutrition and am looking to build my perspective on these fields by reading some books. I've read some michael pollan and some gary taubes. Any reccomendations on a solid book that would help me in my prospective field? (I am aiming to become a naturopathic doctor, graduating from a respected and accredited ND med school). Thanks in advance

I’m a registered dietitian with an undergrate degree in nutrition and a masters in nutrition and exercise physiology. With your major, you’ll be getting plenty of books on nutrition next year.

But if you don’t want to wait for your academic textbooks, get these ahead of time:

1. Advanced Nutrition and Metabolism by Gropper, Smith, and Groff.
  2. Medical Nutrition Therapy by Escott-Stump.
  3. Sports and Fitness Nutrition by Wildman and Miller.
  4. Studying a Study and Testing a Test (This is a research methodology book for all life sciences and I forgot the author’s name and am too lazy to leave the chair right now to look for it or use Google).

These textbooks costs a ton of money (eg, $150 bucks or more), so I don’t know if you want to get them in advance.

You can get some regular, non-academic books like Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto; The Idiot’s Guide to Nutrition by Joy Bauer; any book by Lyle McDonald; and so on. Or read the TONS of articles on this site on nutrition!

Taubes is a PHYSICIST. Pollan is a JOURNALIST. Bowden is has a masters in PSYCHOLOGY. Sure it does no harm in reading from a variety of professionals but your post makes it seem as if you want to get a head start reading material from within our field, those with actual credentials and demonstrated competence in our field.

You might also take offense reading Bowden’s work considering he bashes OUR field of dietetics, a field of which he has shown his ignorance.

I read that book by Bowden, appreciate the suggestion.

@Brick your correct, that is what i am looking for. I’m going to hold off on buying textbooks for now until i know what i need, but i just ordered Tom Venuto’s book, looks like it will be an entertaining and useful read

“What To Eat” is a great book that I’m currently eating and pretty much covers everything and gives you a good idea on nutrition and whats good and bad

[quote]lzqosoz94 wrote:
I read that book by Bowden, appreciate the suggestion.

@Brick your correct, that is what i am looking for. I’m going to hold off on buying textbooks for now until i know what i need, but i just ordered Tom Venuto’s book, looks like it will be an entertaining and useful read [/quote]

Good.

BTFFTM is a GREAT book for learning how to design diets for sports and body composition and does a better job at it than some dull, antiquated, undetailed academic books.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Taubes is a PHYSICIST. Pollan is a JOURNALIST. Bowden is has a masters in PSYCHOLOGY. Sure it does no harm in reading from a variety of professionals but your post makes it seem as if you want to get a head start reading material from within our field, those with actual credentials and demonstrated competence in our field. [/quote]

LOL- so I guess those that don’t go through traditional schooling have no nutritional understanding? Look man, nutrition is really fucking simple really, it’s only man that like to step in, make a buch, make shit confusing and twist shit around.

Taubes- Good Calories, Bad Calories for all accounts and purposes should be required reading in college for anyone going into the health/fitness field.

Pollan’s books I can’t comment, haven’t read them, hut obviously he brings something to the table.

Bowden and psychology, the man drops truth bombs all the time with nutrition.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
You might also take offense reading Bowden’s work considering he bashes OUR field of dietetics, a field of which he has shown his ignorance.[/quote]

You mean the field where your professional organization is shady as shit… trying to get RDs to snitch on those dispensing nutritional advice in order to protect RDs bank accounts.

Nothing against you, but most RDs are a joke. Seriously, I have a senior diabetic whose RD approved breakfast is Cheerios, skim milk, banana… and this guy is worried when I tell him it’s ok to eat a couple whole eggs/veggies everyday, fucking ridiculous.

btw- as personal trainer, they get bashed all the time on here and other places for good reason, for the most part trainers suck too :wink: so don’t take my “bashing” of RDs personal.

I am not taking sides, merely stating my opinion…I am not a fan of the ADA and have heard nothing but poor things about RD’s in general. I am majoring in “Nutrition and Dietetics” However i don’t intend to go forward with becoming an RD. I’ve seen my curriculum and it looks informative regardless.

Dude, I know what you’re saying. I’m not here to argue with you or to somehow prove that every RD is competent in weight control and sports nutrition or that the ADA (now AND) is some perfect organization.

I said there’s NOTHING wrong with reading from DIFFERENT professionals. Tom Venuto has a degree in exercise physiology, NOT nutrition, and has a better understand of sports nutrition than 99% of RD’s.

What I said is, that judging from his post, he’d be interested in getting a head start reading up on the field of dietetics.

See that I also recommended OTHER types of books by non-RD authors after my list of academic nutrition books, some of which were written by those with nutrition credentials but not RD’s.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

LOL- so I guess those that don’t go through traditional schooling have no nutritional understanding? Look man, nutrition is really fucking simple really, it’s only man that like to step in, make a buch, make shit confusing and twist shit around.

quote]

So we agree yet again.

Ask anyone who knows me and they’ll say I have the LEAST patience for those who make this complicated and endlessly shuffle studies around.

I like you, but you confuse me sometimes. We agree on several things, but you write as if you’re rebutting me, or it seems so.

You also wrote as if, or I interpret as if, I was saying that information from RD’s is generally superior to non-RD’s, which isn’t the case. AGAIN, I was writing on textbooks WITHIN OUR FIELD, not because we are somehow superior.

[quote]lzqosoz94 wrote:
I am not taking sides, merely stating my opinion…I am not a fan of the ADA and have heard nothing but poor things about RD’s in general. I am majoring in “Nutrition and Dietetics” However i don’t intend to go forward with becoming an RD. I’ve seen my curriculum and it looks informative regardless. [/quote]

Care to PM me what you heard about RD’s? I’m done with this thread so feel free to PM if you wish.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Taubes is a PHYSICIST. Pollan is a JOURNALIST. Bowden is has a masters in PSYCHOLOGY. Sure it does no harm in reading from a variety of professionals but your post makes it seem as if you want to get a head start reading material from within our field, those with actual credentials and demonstrated competence in our field. [/quote]

Taubes- Good Calories, Bad Calories for all accounts and purposes should be required reading in college for anyone going into the health/fitness field.

Pollan’s books I can’t comment, haven’t read them, hut obviously he brings something to the table.

Bowden and psychology, the man drops truth bombs all the time with nutrition.[/quote]

Actually I might retreat on what I said before.

Yes, it can be simple. In other cases not as simple as someone like you might think.

What’s your knowledge on parenteral and enteral nutrition? Can you practice it?

MOST of nutrition practice is simple and can be understood by anyone with half a brain with no formal credentials. Other parts aren’t.

Again, I don’t have a beef with you in particular, nor do I have the patience or time to explain every damn detail on my profession and professional organization. I make recommendations and list authors’ backgrounds (facts) and this is the shit I get?!

Thanks.

Take care.

My apologies man, seems as though we do have more in common, it was late and I guess I read your post about some of those authors in the “wrong light” :wink:

I know I said I’d leave this thread but it dawned on me: if my stuff is all so simple, perhaps you could’ve saved me years of turmoil studying the following academic courses, some of which were unforgiving subjects that you couldn’t BS at all, or my masters thesis that I had to present to several Phd’s (one of whom used to write for THIS SITE):

preparatory math
general chemistry
organic chemistry
biochemistry
microbiology
contemporary nutrition
nutrition communication
medical nutrition therapy
nutrition counseling
energy and exercise
community nutrition
research methodology
masters thesis (literature review I did)
food and culture
food science
food technology
issues, trends, and challenges in nutrition (here I thought we RD’s were so behind the times on everything)
basic nutrition
advanced human nutritiion and metabolism
foodservice management

Some of these courses were given in two separate semesters (eg, nutr & metab I and II, chem I and II). Again, I could’ve been saved all this time and aggravation had I known my profession and understanding of nutrition science was all so simple.

PS: I don’t know of ONE profession (law, medicine, personal training, sales, whatever) that doesn’t have some incompetent or lame people.

I actually DON’T want to argue or fight with anyone here or get snobby but I see no reason why my field has to be broguht up in a negative light out of nowhere.

I would say with respect, that field of nutritional science is seriously flawed, mainly due to greed and the ego.

It is what is, how else could the idea that aaturated fat and cholesterol being bad for us prevail for so long despite the evidence?

Why else would grains be recommended as the base of a pyramid?

How else could margarine be recommended over butter for so long (though this one is changing).

And yes, nutrition is totally simple, that said, I realize that for those with serious medical conditions that’s where RDs are definitely equipped to better handle things, but if there wasn’t so much confusion on what proper nutrition was, many of those diseases wouldn’t be so prevalent to begin with.

It irks me to no end that I deal with a senior population everyday that suffers from Western diseases, and many of them try to eat in a manner that they were told, or fall victim to slick marketing from food companies.

It’s nice to think that people are just lazy and don’t care, but many do, and are still being mislead about health/nutrition.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

PS: I don’t know of ONE profession (law, medicine, personal training, sales, whatever) that doesn’t have some incompetent or lame people.

[/quote]

totally agree, that’s why I brought up PTs too, and not just trying to pick on RDs.