T Nation

Nutrition, ART, workouts, and caloric intake

Hey T-people,

I have a few questions regarding my recovery while implimenting art therapy. I injured my shoulder about 4 months ago, and have begun to see an art practitioner. However, i am still limited in what I can do for my upper body workouts for the next few weeks. My questions are:

1) What type of diet should I use during this treatment, given that I am limited to only lower body/cardio exercise for the next few weeks?
Stats - 5'10", 12% bf, 160 lbs. I'm looking to bulk once recovered, btw.

2) Are there any supplements I should be taking to aid in recovery?
Currently taking creatine/glucosamine/glutamine/multivitamine.

3) What types of food would be good? As a generality, i usually aim for mostly p/f meals on off days, using p+c only for the first 3 meals after my lifting days. Cardio and off days I try to stay at around .5-1g carbs per lb, the rest of the cals focusing on high fiber veggies/flax/oils/nuts and good sources of protein (eggs, chicken, whey, etc). Would this be ok til i heal up?

Thanx for all the input!

As far as your diet goes, use this time to get in a WIDE VARIETY of green veggies. The more color and the greater the variety of color, the better. Fruits, too. You're eating for health and healing. Skip your starchier carbs until you can work out the way you want to.

Keep your protein intake up; 1.5g x LBM. Maintaining positive nitrogen balance will support the healing process.

Drink extra water; above and beyond your normal intake.

Reduce or eliminate the amount of junk food. (A good thing to do whether you're dealing with an injury or not.)

Don't start an ultra-strict diet. This is not a license to go out and put on weight, but you do not want to be consuming inadequate calories at a time when the body needs to heal.

Take a strong multivitamin-multimineral with antioxidants (at least 15,000 IU of beta carotene or mixed carotenoids, 400 IU of vitamin E, and 500 mg of vitamin C), B complex (20-50 mg of B1, B2, B3, B5, and B6), with 100 percent RDA of all minerals including calcium and magnesium. The numbers above are actually conservative numbers. Personally, I'd go higher.

Hope that helps. At least it won't hurt. (grin)