Nutrition and Supplement Suggestions?

Anyone have any suggestions for a 155lb 6’0" man on supplements and nutrition? I am 32 and dropped 30lbs of fat two years ago once I started training. During that time, I was able to maintain a 150lb frame, but wanted to make gains in muscle. I looked at my calories consumed and discovered I was only at 2000cal/day so I upped it to 3000/day and gained 5lbs. Does anyone think I should up the calories some more? I also take supplements. Below is a summary of my nutrition and supplements.

Nutrition, A Brief Summary:

• I do not eat any gluten products due to the fact that my son has celiac’s disease (a gluten intolerance).
  • Grains that I do eat are rice, corn, and rolled oats.
  • I consume meat such as pork, chicken, ham, and beef at least one to two times a day - although mostly chicken and pork. Ham only once a week and beef maybe twice a week.
  • I always eat twice as much vegetables than the recommended serving size at least once a day.
  • I don’t eat any processed foods unless it’s gluten free.
  • Absolutely no fat free or “lite” foods since they are processed.
  • I do eat dairy products.

Supplements, An Even Briefer Summary:

• Shakeology Nutrition Supplement once a day.
  • Protein Supplement once/twice a day depending.
  • Recovery Drink for after workout sessions (contains only small amount of creatine).

My workout sessions are almost exclusively kettlebell routines for strength and conditioning, I also get in a martial arts training session twice a week since I train in Wing Chun Gung Fu. I don’t go to the gym, I train at home and I try to train heavy. Kettlebell sessions are at least 3 times a week, sometimes 4 or 5.

So what does anyone think here? Increase calories? Any other supplement reccomendation, or am I good? Sorry for the book, but wanted to give you all a accurate picture.

At your workload & bodyweight I would suggest you keep your calories at 3,000-3,200 for at least six months before an increase (unless you begin to loose weight).

I’m sure something as simple as a couple more protein shakes a day(before bed?) and some good fish oils would help you slowly start creeping up on the scale.

Of course just improving your food choices in terms of quality and quantity would do wonders too.

S

Blue Collar: Sounds like a plan. I’ll see if I can get it to the higher number of your suggestion.

Mighty Stu: Improve food choices? Any suggestions in terms of quality? Also, what about fish oils? I don’t take those - I don’t know too much about them, but don’t mind getting the education about them.

For Fish Oils read up on Flameout from Biotest. Then look up EPA and DHA. This is an essential supplement IMO.

Wait until you gain about 10 more pounds (mostly lean) using the same amount of cals.

If you want to build muscle, try to find heavier weights.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
If you want to build muscle, try to find heavier weights.[/quote]

I am always working on that, but the bells I am currently using aren’t the small paper weights popularized on tv. I use the heavier, traditional ones and typically double up with them. Dragondoor has good examples of those on their webpage. I am also using the lifting protocols of Pavel Tsatsouline, Power Lifting Coach Marty Gallagher, and Kenneth Jay Master RKC. Squats and deadlifts are a huge part of my routine along with presses. Reps = 5-8 Sets = 4-5.

how heavy are your KB’s? I’m pretty ignorant on the subject in general, but let’s say they’re 70lbs each, if you’re doing squats with them… you can still load yourself with much more weight by using a barbell.

As for the diet, how long have you been at 3000 a day? In general, stick with what works until it stops working.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:
For Fish Oils read up on Flameout from Biotest. Then look up EPA and DHA. This is an essential supplement IMO.[/quote]

Agreed!

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
how heavy are your KB’s? I’m pretty ignorant on the subject in general, but let’s say they’re 70lbs each, if you’re doing squats with them… you can still load yourself with much more weight by using a barbell.

As for the diet, how long have you been at 3000 a day? In general, stick with what works until it stops working.

[/quote]

The heaviest kettlebell I own is a single 40kg (88lbs) bell. I also own a single 24kg (53lbs) and will be getting another to make it a pair. The others I own are all pairs: 20kg (45lbs each), 16kg (35lbs each), 12kg (27lbs each), and 8kg (17lbs each). Working with the bells are a bit different from working with a barbell - for one, you’re not grabbing the load at the center of gravity - but that doesn’t discount a barbell at all.

The lifting protocols for a bell are pretty much the same for a barbell (at least in dead lifting and squatting). But if you want greater resistance with a bell, you either have to shift to single leg work or get heavier bells. This is what I am doing right now for lower body. Upper body workouts with the bell are pretty much presses for shoulder and chest, and rows and shrugs for back. For upper and lower body, I go no more than 10 reps per set of 4-5. If the resistance isn’t enough, that is pretty much my cue to get heavier weight.

As for diet, I have been at 3000/day for about a two months now.

Personally I would recommend D-Aspartic acid. The study done on it showed that it raised testosterone up to 40% with no negative feedback loop. All of the new testosterone boosters being offered have it in their product. I’ve taken it and I was pleased with the results. You need 3 grams of it a day and as supplements go it is not very expensive at all (about $15 a month). I am new on this board so I don’t know how they are about members referring products they may not sell so I will refrain from listing places to purchase it. If you would like to know where I get mine you can PM me.

Good luck.