T Nation

Nutrition and Obstruction

So far I’ve pretty much ignored my diet and simply eaten as much as I could (and I sometimes really force myself to eat enough to keep growing…I’m at 205 lbs now).

Breakfast: 1 l of milk and a shitload of oatmeal
9 am: fruit
noon: 2 or 3 sandwiches
3 pm: fruit
6 pm: whatever my mother prepares
post workout: 0,5l of milk

Normally I take a huge shit after my oatmeal (obviously a ton of fibers) but recently I am suddenly quite constipated (I still take shits, but they become progressively smaller, right now almost nothing comes out). Since a couple of days I have the feeling of being full and not hungry (which I normally never have). Yesterday after dinner I puked out everything I ate. Same thing this morning.

Anyway, I have this really big chunk of shit blocking my anal canal…since this isn’t the first time this happened I think it’s due to my diet. I am considering to start using protein shakes so that I don’t need to eat the volumes of food I am eating now… Anyone had similar issues? Any solutions?

I would go to a GI doc, mate. Would also stay away from milk and oatmeal for now.

I had a problem with constipation when my diet was quite similar to yours there. You’re probably getting less fibre than you think: I remember reading (maybe in an article on here) that all fibres aren’t created equal and that those found in fruit don’t really help to flush out your pipes.

I started supplementing with psyllium husks a while ago, and recently added 200g of green vegetables to my lunch, and my poos just slide out now, which is great as my constipation had caused anal fissures (too much information?).

I also find that oatmeal leaves me bloated, so now I have eggs for breakfast.

Edit: here is the article on fibre http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most.../fiber_made_simple

[quote]Xav wrote:
So far I’ve pretty much ignored my diet and simply eaten as much as I could (and I sometimes really force myself to eat enough to keep growing…I’m at 205 lbs now).

Normally I take a huge shit after my oatmeal (obviously a ton of fibers) but recently I am suddenly quite constipated (I still take shits, but they become progressively smaller, right now almost nothing comes out). Since a couple of days I have the feeling of being full and not hungry (which I normally never have). Yesterday after dinner I puked out everything I ate. Same thing this morning.

Anyway, I have this really big chunk of shit blocking my anal canal…since this isn’t the first time this happened I think it’s due to my diet. I am considering to start using protein shakes so that I don’t need to eat the volumes of food I am eating now… Anyone had similar issues? Any solutions?[/quote]

I had the same problem a year ago when I was in school and really neglecting my diet. I went to the doctor because I ended up developing bad pains in my abnomen. He took an xray and said he could see the blockage. He gave me Metamucil and and said “hopefully in the meantime that stool doesn’t turn sideways or your going to be in a world of hurt.” Also he mentioned to clean up my diet as I wouldn’t be able to keep taking Metamucil as it causes lazy bowel syndrome with to much use. YOU HAVE A LIFE THREATENING CONDITION ON YOUR HANDS RIGHT NOW!! WHEN THINGS ARE GOING IN, BUT THEY ARE NOT COMING OUT THERE IS A BIG PROBLEM, HOW LONG CAN IT CONTINUE!?

Thanks for all the replies, trimming down on milk & oatmeal and getting more green vegetables (I hate them) did the job! Almost back to normal.

[quote]Tech-Junkie wrote:

[quote]Xav wrote:

Anyway, I have this really big chunk of shit blocking my anal canal…since this isn’t the first time this happened I think it’s due to my diet. I am considering to start using protein shakes so that I don’t need to eat the volumes of food I am eating now… Anyone had similar issues? Any solutions?[/quote]

I had the same problem a year ago when I was in school and really neglecting my diet. I went to the doctor because I ended up developing bad pains in my abnomen. He took an xray and said he could see the blockage. He gave me Metamucil and and said “hopefully in the meantime that stool doesn’t turn sideways or your going to be in a world of hurt.” Also he mentioned to clean up my diet as I wouldn’t be able to keep taking Metamucil as it causes lazy bowel syndrome with to much use. YOU HAVE A LIFE THREATENING CONDITION ON YOUR HANDS RIGHT NOW!! WHEN THINGS ARE GOING IN, BUT THEY ARE NOT COMING OUT THERE IS A BIG PROBLEM, HOW LONG CAN IT CONTINUE!?
[/quote]

I’ve never heard of this “lazy bowel syndrome”?

To the OP: I was going to recommend to actually start taking Fiber supplements, as someone mentioned you might be thinking you are getting a lot, but it’s not enough.

Don’t take fiber supplements; they’ll make you feel full and I doubt you’d want this if you’re adding calories which it seems like you are. Plenty of fiber in things like black beans (which also add to your calorie intake so killing 2 birds with 1 stone). I’d say get rid of cow’s milk entirely. A lot of people might be completely lactose intolerant, but lots are sensitive. All it takes for me is 2 cups of milk and my digestion gets worse in no time. I’d say try oat milk/rice milk/etc. They have the added calcium to match cow’s milk (also heard it’s even more bioavailable as well but don’t know for sure).