T Nation

Nutrition and Nose Bleeds?

Hi,

Since allergy season ended for me a couple of weeks ago, I have regularly had minor nose bleeds. Each and EVERY time I blow my nose, there is blood in my tissue. Nothing like a faucet left running, but about a quarter sized amount seems to come out of me.

Dry air seems to be the logical choice but this area is known for having high humidity. And recently, there has been a fair bit of rain.

The only thing to have changed during this time (besides the weather which is cooling off) is my diet. Is it possible that I am deficient in some vitamin or mineral? Could it be an excess of some sort of nutrient?

Thoughts???

Some supps have a blood thinning effect that could be the cause…CoQ10, Wobenzyme, K, etc. It might be that you are getting to much instead of to little. Are you taking anything else? Indole-3-carbinol (Like used to me in M) alway smade my nose bleed for whatever reason.

[quote]Hip Scar wrote:
Some supps have a blood thinning effect that could be the cause…CoQ10, Wobenzyme, K, etc. It might be that you are getting to much instead of to little. Are you taking anything else? Indole-3-carbinol (Like used to me in M) alway smade my nose bleed for whatever reason.[/quote]

No, I’m not taking any of those. I do supplement with a variety of vitamins including: fish oil, a multi-mineral, cranberry extract and a garlic & parsley tablet. Come to think of it, parsley is quite high in vitamin k…

It’s worth a shot. I’ll lay off of it for a while and see what happens.

Fish oil thins blood. So does pretty much all anti-inflammatory foods (garlic,tomatoes etc) Might want to get some more iron to help clott up blood. I used to get bloody noses every time. Eating more beef help me slightly, I still got surgery for it though. There was to much scar tissue up in there.

[quote]Hank250 wrote:
Hip Scar wrote:
Some supps have a blood thinning effect that could be the cause…CoQ10, Wobenzyme, K, etc. It might be that you are getting to much instead of to little. Are you taking anything else? Indole-3-carbinol (Like used to me in M) alway smade my nose bleed for whatever reason.

No, I’m not taking any of those. I do supplement with a variety of vitamins including: fish oil, a multi-mineral, cranberry extract and a garlic & parsley tablet. Come to think of it, parsley is quite high in vitamin k…

It’s worth a shot. I’ll lay off of it for a while and see what happens.
[/quote]

Actually, Vitamin K is necessary for proper clot formation so if anything, the parsley may help.

Both Garlic and fish oil reduce platelet aggregation, thereby making platelets less “sticky” which is one of the cardioprotective mechanisms of these supplements; less likely to make a big clot, throw it, and suffer a heart attack because of it.

However, it is conceivable supplements which reduce platelet aggregation could also influence how easily one bleeds, especially from easily irritated surface capillaries in the nose.

You said the only change has been your diet - what dietary changes have you made?

By the way, I would imagine this is probably something simple like nasal irritation or something.

I’d start with getting some saline spray for your nose.

[quote]Hip Scar wrote:
Actually, Vitamin K is necessary for proper clot formation so if anything, the parsley may help.

Both Garlic and fish oil reduce platelet aggregation, thereby making platelets less “sticky” which is one of the cardioprotective mechanisms of these supplements; less likely to make a big clot, throw it, and suffer a heart attack because of it.

However, it is conceivable supplements which reduce platelet aggregation could also influence how easily one bleeds, especially from easily irritated surface capillaries in the nose.

You said the only change has been your diet - what dietary changes have you made?

By the way, I would imagine this is probably something simple like nasal irritation or something.[/quote]

The recent changes in my diet are a (big) increase in use of whey protein (6 scoops per day) and the garlic & parsley tablet. I had been using the g & p for a couple of weeks now and the whole while I had the nose bleeds, but as it started when allergy season was ending, it is hard for me to be certain as to the exact time it began. My allergies don’t usually cause bleeding, but some pretty funky stuff tends to come out of my nose because of them. I’ve stopped using the g & p for a day now and time will tell if it is the culprit.

Thanks for you help everyone :slight_smile: