T Nation

Nutrition Advice

Hey Guys

As a beginner, as long as i hit my macros and my calorie target, does it matter what exactly I shove down my throat?

I was wondering with what tight budget I have as University student, whether this endeavor is totally pointless unless I’m eating really clean or even for that matter mildly clean.

I guess the term ‘Dirty Bulk’ would be the best way to some up what i’m saying to some extent however I’m trying to hit a calorie goal which is only 500 over maintenance. So will i put on copious amounts of unnecessary fat via this method.

Thanks

Depends on what your maintance level is and how much your eating but you can eat relatively clean plenty cheap and still get in plenty calories.

Weeks worth of oats- $4
6 dozen eggs-$8
2 bags whole wheat bagels-$5
Whole pasta- $2.50 a bag
5lbs ground beef- $15
6lbs chcicen- $12
Two gallons milk- $7
Raman noodles- 25 cents a pack ( not great for you but very easy cheap carbs and fat )
3 bags vegetables- $4

$60 a week that’s not hard to come by if your not smoking and drinking like most college kids on the weekend or going out alot to eat during the week. That’s literally only 10 hours of work at a minimum wage job and I assume your working or getting a allowance of some kind meaning if you sacrifice you can easily afford this.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Depends on what your maintance level is and how much your eating but you can eat relatively clean plenty cheap and still get in plenty calories.

Weeks worth of oats- $4
6 dozen eggs-$8
2 bags whole wheat bagels-$5
Whole pasta- $2.50 a bag
5lbs ground beef- $15
6lbs chcicen- $12
Two gallons milk- $7
Raman noodles- 25 cents a pack ( not great for you but very easy cheap carbs and fat )
3 bags vegetables- $4

$60 a week that’s not hard to come by if your not smoking and drinking like most college kids on the weekend or going out alot to eat during the week. That’s literally only 10 hours of work at a minimum wage job and I assume your working or getting a allowance of some kind meaning if you sacrifice you can easily afford this.[/quote]

I am also a college kid, and Reid is right. This isn’t really as expensive as it seems. During the summer (when I have to buy all of my own food) I live on stuff like the above.

If you’ve got a meal plan, just try to eat the best things available. I would suggest buying some protein powder to make up for anything you miss. You can get milk/peanut butter/etc to mix in your shakes for more calories as well and this stuff is pretty cheap.

I remember dorming and having access to a buffet style of food. Just pick the healthiest options available like @Chris87 suggested. Other than that, the list that @REED posted is pretty solid. Plan everything accordingly and you should be fine.

I don’t know how “dirty” you’re talking about but I’ve definitely cut down weight eating out like McDonalds, Subways, and Burger King around my college campus, but just meeting my caloric needs. I was counting calories and making sure to eat under maintenance, + making sure I was getting in good rest and doing the work in the gym. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work doing the opposite as long as you’re hitting all your macros. I actually think I remember a post on here talking about an experiment where strictly for body composition disregarding the health benefits of eating clean, it din’t matter what you ate, as long as you hit your caloric needs that you’d see a change in your body mass.

I don’t exactly have a Part-Time Job yet, and whilst I’m looking for one, is it okay to assume for this post and situation that i don’t have extra means of money except for government bursary, the amount of money I have for the next 6 weeks is around the £120 figure mark. I guess that’s around $180.

Any Genius would say I have $30 a week until I go back home for Christmas where food will be a plenty!!

So you could you base a shopping list around the cheapest of the cheap??

@Reed I’m gauging for about 3,000 calories.
@jldume I’m self-catered, so I have to cook everything myself!

does anybody around here follow the concept of IIFYM

10 pounds of potatoes is clean and real cheap. It is about cooking yourself where you do the saving. Buy stuff with no ingredient list it is healthy and cheap.
You are lucky you will not have to suffer a cut !

Damn food is cheap in the States.

[quote]Boots2Asses wrote:
I don’t exactly have a Part-Time Job yet, and whilst I’m looking for one, is it okay to assume for this post and situation that i don’t have extra means of money except for government bursary, the amount of money I have for the next 6 weeks is around the Ã?£120 figure mark. I guess that’s around $180.

Any Genius would say I have $30 a week until I go back home for Christmas where food will be a plenty!!

So you could you base a shopping list around the cheapest of the cheap??

@Reed I’m gauging for about 3,000 calories.
@jldume I’m self-catered, so I have to cook everything myself!

[/quote]

Tescos will be your best bet: eggs x30 for £3, pork liver 500g for 50p, regular cheap deals on meat (mainly pork)