T Nation

Nutrition Advice for 17 Year Old


#1

Okay guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask for nutritional help, but here goes. My BMR is about 1750, so to maintain my weight I'd only need about 3000 calories per day. However, I just planned a new diet I'm going to start once I get a new job & can buy my food. With this new diet, I'd be consuming 4702 calories, 469g protein, 472g carbs, & 80g fat per day. Is this too much? I'm 5'4, 164, 17 years old & 9% body fat.

I also train back, chest, arms, shoulder & legs twice a week, & forearms, calves & abs 6 times a week, all at pretty high intensity.

Thanks for any input


#2

[quote]haydfree wrote:
Okay guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask for nutritional help, but here goes. My BMR is about 1750, so to maintain my weight I’d only need about 3000 calories per day. However, I just planned a new diet I’m going to start once I get a new job & can buy my food. With this new diet, I’d be consuming 4702 calories, 469g protein, 472g carbs, & 80g fat per day. Is this too much? I’m 5’4, 164, 17 years old & 9% body fat.

I also train back, chest, arms, shoulder & legs twice a week, & forearms, calves & abs 6 times a week, all at pretty high intensity.

Thanks for any input[/quote]
If you do sports daily and or manual labor maybe not. Sounds high otherwise.


#3

469 grams of protein? Was that a typo?


#4

[quote]Yogi wrote:
469 grams of protein? Was that a typo?[/quote]
I bet it wasn’t. I think this kid really thinks that’s what he needs to grow. Scary stuff, this generation coming up.

[quote]haydfree wrote:
to maintain my weight I’d only need about 3000 calories per day[/quote]
Then why do you need an extra 1,700 calories to add size? Unless that’s what you’ve determined after trying a few weeks at 3,500 calories without seeing any results, a few weeks at 4,000 calories without seeing any results, and a few weeks at 4,500 calories without seeing any results?

Those macros add up to 4,484 calories. Just saying. Also, like Yogi was getting at, why in the sweet holy hell do you think you need almost 3g per pound of BW in protein? I’m also wondering what that kind of diet would actually look like. Like, what would you eat in a typical day?

Can you lay out your training week? The days, exercises, sets, and reps.

Also, it’s been mentioned/asked a few times, but I think a pic is finally appropriate.


#5

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
469 grams of protein? Was that a typo?[/quote]
I bet it wasn’t. I think this kid really thinks that’s what he needs to grow. Scary stuff, this generation coming up.
[/quote]

Ay caramba


#6

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
469 grams of protein? Was that a typo?[/quote]
I bet it wasn’t. I think this kid really thinks that’s what he needs to grow. Scary stuff, this generation coming up.[/quote]
Ay caramba[/quote]
He’s also too young to get that reference. :wink:


#7

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
469 grams of protein? Was that a typo?[/quote]
I bet it wasn’t. I think this kid really thinks that’s what he needs to grow. Scary stuff, this generation coming up.[/quote]
Ay caramba[/quote]
He’s also too young to get that reference. ;)[/quote]
Although 164 @ 9% isn’t bad for 5’4" and only 17 years old, but yeah, that’s WAY too much protein. You can’t use a smidgeon above 200-250 grams.


#8

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
469 grams of protein? Was that a typo?[/quote]
I bet it wasn’t. I think this kid really thinks that’s what he needs to grow. Scary stuff, this generation coming up.[/quote]
Ay caramba[/quote]
He’s also too young to get that reference. ;)[/quote]

jesus, when did we get so old?


#9

Hey champ, I think 3000 calories is way too much. If BMR is 1750 then I suggest add an extra 100-200calories. You can still put on size with 2000calories. Plus it’s very expensive eating 3 or 4000calories specially if you don’t have a job.

I hope this helps


#10

Chris didn’t say it explicitly, so I am: Work up to it gradually… add 300 cal/day for a couple weeks then add another 300. Your body isn’t ready for the sudden jump so working up gradually will give your body what it needs (more fuel than it’s used to) while not giving it too much (which just results in bodyfat).

And, as above, I’d drop protein and increase fat/carbs. You’re younger, so a more balanced approach (40/30/30) should make for a better starting point.