Nutrigenomics

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
I think the fact that what you eat/do can affect not only your genes but the genes of the next generation or two is amazing and will be quite revolutionary when more people start to realize this.[/quote]

Yup. This is one of the coolest aspects of it, in my mind.

Anyone interested in learning more about this should consider researching “genomic imprinting”. It’s an epigenetic modification in which a gene becomes silenced depending on its parental origin. One of the things that makes it so interesting is the fact that these epigenetic modifications can result in radically different effects depending on the parent of origin.

For example, genomic imprinting on chromosome 15 can result in one of two diseases: Prader-Willi or Angelman syndrome. Angelman syndrome is characterized by things like learning difficulties, speech impairment, seizures and behavioral abnormalities. Prader-Willi syndrome is characterized by learning difficulties, growth retardation and compulsive eating.

Crazy part? Both diseases are caused by exactly the same defect on the same part of chromosome 15. If this error is inherited from the father, Prader-Willi syndrome occurs; if it is inherited from the mother, the result is Angelman syndrome.

Blows my mind.[/quote]

Hate to be lazy, but would you mind providing links(books, websites, leads, etc) for further reading on this?

Thanks JoT

mmm… boobies

Breastfeeding Linked to Healthy Infant Gut: Bacterial Colonization Leads to Changes in the Infant?s Expression of Genes

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Hate to be lazy, but would you mind providing links(books, websites, leads, etc) for further reading on this?[/quote]

Sorry, man, didn’t catch this the first time around.

Are you still looking for some sauce?

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Hate to be lazy, but would you mind providing links(books, websites, leads, etc) for further reading on this?[/quote]

Are you still looking for some sauce?[/quote]

Always

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

Are you still looking for some sauce?[/quote]

Always[/quote]

Sorry, man… been busy with finals so I’m slacking on my forum browsing.

I’ll throw up some interesting stuff I’ve stumbled across once I’m out of the woods with these tests… I don’t have them handy so digging about would be kind of a bitch.

Whenever man, I’ll be around. Exams always take priority.

Here’s a few that were distributed to my class for discussion:

“Glucose ingestion during exercise blunts exercise-induced gene expression of skeletal muscle fat oxidative genes”
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/289/6/E1023.full.pdf+html

“Forkhead transcription factor FOXO1 (FKHR)-dependent induction of PDK4 gene expression in skeletal muscle during energy deprivation”

“Effect of Short-Term Fasting and Refeeding on Transcriptional Regulation of Metabolic Genes in Human Skeletal Muscle”

I should have a couple interesting reviews floating around on the genes that are influenced by fasting and diets of differing macro compositions… since I’d guess most people here would find those more informative than random studies that can be found easily enough with Google (which aren’t particularly useful if you don’t know what they’re talking about in the first place), I’ll see if I can throw them up later tonight.

Thanks anonym

OK, well, quite a bit of the stuff I have is not (to my knowledge) freely available on Google… so, no real point of my posting links here since a) most people don’t have access to numerous scientific journals and b) those that DO don’t really need these links.

A lot of what I have left involves modifiable responses to diet rather than permanent changes in gene expression (e.g., how does metabolic machinery shift between high carb/high fat diets) as well as polymorphisms that influence nutrient requirements (e.g., MTHFR SNPs rather than clinically-recognized diseases like PKU)… if anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can either give you the list of articles to look up yourself or, if you give me your email, just send them along as an attachment.

And, obviously, if I don’t respond it simply means I don’t like you. Or that my PMs have been a little hit/miss lately.

“What is epigenetics?”
http://www.scionpublishing.com/shop/ProductImages/07-Clinical%20Genetics-ch07-ppp.pdf

“Genetic Imprinting - Epigenetics 2”
http://www.genetics.edu.au/Information/Genetics-Fact-Sheets/Genetic-Imprinting-Epigenetics-2-FS15

“Epigenetics: A New Bridge between Nutrition and Health”

“Nutrigenomics - From Molecular Nutrition to Prevention of Disease”
http://www.nutrigenomicabrasil.org/artigo3.pdf

“Nutrigenomics and Nutrigenetics: the Emerging Faces of Nutrition”
http://www.fasebj.org/content/19/12/1602.full.pdf+html

“Food as exposure: Nutritional epigenetics and the new metabolism”

“Nutritional Epigenetics: Impact of Folate Deficiency on DNA Methylation and Colon Cancer Susceptibility”

“Effects of Dietary Nutrients on DNA Methylation and Imprinting”

“Child Health, Developmental Plasticity, and Epigenetic Programming”

Thanks a lot anonym, this should get me started quite nicely.

No problem, man.

Interested in some of those reviwes. Great links man. Apprecaite them

“We did not know a stress response could be reprogrammed by your ancestors’ environmental exposures,” says Skinner, who focused on the epigenetic transgenerational inheritance and genomics aspects of the paper. “So how well you socialize or how your anxiety levels respond to stress may be as much your ancestral epigenetic inheritance as your individual early-life events.”

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/052212_How-Chemical-Exposure-Today-Will-Influence-Behavior-Generations-Later.shtml

Thanks JOT.

Very interesting. I love this stuff

Differences Between Human Twins at Birth Highlight Importance of Intrauterine Environment

ScienceDaily (July 15, 2012) ? Your genes determine much about you, but environment can have a strong influence on your genes even before birth, with consequences that can last a lifetime. In a study published online in Genome Research, researchers have for the first time shown that the environment experienced in the womb defines the newborn epigenetic profile, the chemical modifications to DNA we are born with, that could have implications for disease risk later in life.

Epigenetic tagging of genes by a chemical modification called DNA methylation is known to affect gene activity, playing a role in normal development, aging, and also in diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Studies conducted in animals have shown that the environment shapes the epigenetic profile across the genome, called the epigenome, particularly in the womb. An understanding of how the intrauterine environment molds the human epigenome could provide critical information about disease risk to help manage health throughout life.

Twin pairs, both monozygotic (identical) and dizygotic (fraternal), are ideal for epigenetic study because they share the same mother but have their own umbilical cord and amniotic sac, and in the case of identical twins, also share the same genetic make-up. Previous studies have shown that methylation can vary significantly at a single gene across multiple tissues of identical twins, but it is important to know what the DNA methylation landscape looks like across the genome.

In this report, an international team of researchers has for the first time analyzed genome-scale DNA methylation profiles of umbilical cord tissue, cord blood, and placenta of newborn identical and fraternal twin pairs to estimate how genes, the shared environment that their mother provides and the potentially different intrauterine environments experienced by each twin contribute to the epigenome. The group found that even in identical twins, there are widespread differences in the epigenetic profile of twins at birth.

“This must be due to events that happened to one twin and not the other,” said Dr. Jeffrey Craig of the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute (MCRI) in Australia and a senior author of the report. Craig added that although twins share a womb, the influence of specific tissues like the placenta and umbilical cord can be different for each fetus, and likely affects the epigenetic profile.

Interestingly, the team found that methylated genes closely associated with birth weight in their cohort are genes known to play roles in growth, metabolism, and cardiovascular disease, lending further support to a known link between low birth weight and risk for diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. The authors explained that their findings suggest the unique environmental experiences in the womb may have a more profound effect on epigenetic factors that influence health throughout life than previously thought.

Furthermore, an understanding of the epigenetic profile at birth could be a particularly powerful tool for managing future health. "This has potential to identify and track disease risk early in life, said Dr. Richard Saffery of the MCRI and a co-senior author of the study, “or even to modify risk through specific environmental or dietary interventions.”

"The Monsanto company has forged a new partnership with Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company whose primary focus seems to be on figuring out how to best crack the genetic code so as to manipulate the way genes inherently express themselves.

It turns out that certain plant-based foods, or perhaps all of them, contain unique properties that naturally turn genes on or off throughout the body when ingested, depending on these foods’ various nutritive functions."

Cool link JoT, thanks.

Scientists discover how epigenetic information could be inherited
Research reveals the mechanism of epigenetic reprogramming

"However, the researchers, who were funded by the Wellcome Trust, also found that some rare methylation can ‘escape’ the reprogramming process and can thus be passed on to offspring ? revealing how epigenetic inheritance could occur. This is important because aberrant methylation could accumulate at genes during a lifetime in response to environmental factors, such as chemical exposure or nutrition, and can cause abnormal use of genes, leading to disease. If these marks are then inherited by offspring, their genes could also be affected.

Dr Jamie Hackett from the University of Cambridge, who led the research, said: “Our research demonstrates how genes could retain some memory of their past experiences, revealing that one of the big barriers to the theory of epigenetic inheritance - that epigenetic information is erased between generations - should be reassessed.”

I have undergone this testing. I have my full genome on file. The testing was done with a saliva sample.
I have a ton of raw genetic data but it doesn’t mean anything if it isn’t interpreted. I have gotten some recommendations from someone who treats genetic mutations and here’s the info…

Of importance to my general health these are the mutation’s i have:

MTHFR C677T +/-

I cannot convert Folate to Methyl Folate the active form within my body so i take Methyl Folate 1mg per day for this continually.

MTRR A66G +/-
MTRR H595Y +/-
MTRR K350A +/-

I cannot convert B12 into the active Methyl B12 so i take Methyl B12 1mg per day Continually.

CBS A360A +/-

The CBS mutation is an indication i have issues with detoxification of sulfur based foods (eggs ,cruciferous vegetables, garlic, onions and dairy). So for this CBS mutation i would take Molybdenum to assist with this process and converting sulfites to sulfates within the body.

If i do eat excessive protein i would tend to accumulate ammonia and not be able to detoxify it. So for this i can take Yucca Root and Activated Charcoal to assist with the elimination of toxins.

Selective IgA deficiency:

rs 1990760 +/-
rs 9271366 +/+

Selective IgA deficiency is an indication i have a greater risk for infection from pathogenic and viral exposure.