Nutrigenomics

Thanks BBB i will do some searching.

I think that once this hits the bodybuilding community and the “normal” people we will see large shift in eating habits (hopefully). The IIFYM crowd should be looking into this because this is the proof that a calorie is not a calorie.

I dont have the research in front of me but i was reading a post by Datbtrue on coconut oil that states is activates fat burning genes and shuts down fat storing gene. How large of an effect this is was not stated but in light of that there is no way to argue that 1g (or calorie) of coconut oil is the as 1g (or calorie) of vegetable oil.

Keep the info/discussion coming glad others are also interested in this.

I found that section and possibly some videos but how long was it?

Can you guys post/PM a link? I’ve been googling it but coming up empty.

Forgot to post that. Also there is another study that goes along with this that looked at 20min of exercise on formerly sedentary people that shows epigenetic changes occur even after that short amount of exercise. Wondering if chronic exercise will induce long term epigentic changes as the changes induced by the short sessions were reversed after 3hrs

This field blows my mind…

I have written a post at my blog about this subject: info that can be applied right now, doesn’t require having your DNA tested.

Signaling: Nutrigenomics Made Easy

Nice blog Jeffrey, definitely bookmarked.

^ x 2

Here is a paper I just did a presentation on that some might find interesting.

“Fish-oil supplementation induces antiinflammatory gene expression profiles in human blood mononuclear cells”

Excerpts from my analysis for those wanting cliff notes:

Summary:
“Several conclusions were reached as a result of the authors’ efforts: 1) fish oil supplementation resulted in alterations of EPA/DHA plasma levels in a dose-dependent manner; 2) consumption of 1.8g/day EPA+DHA resulted in subsequent changes in genetic expression of 1,040 genes as compared to 298 for the HOSF control group; 3) genetic analysis suggests that high-dose EPA+DHA supplementation beneficially affects genes involved in the inflammatory process (e.g., eicosanoid and prostaglandin synthesis, interleukin signaling, MAP kinase signaling and NF-kB/Toll-like receptor signaling) as well as in areas related to various atherosclerotic pathways (e.g., cell adhesion, scavenger receptor activity and adipogenesis); and 4) low-dose EPA+DHA supplementation induced marked, but comparatively less pronounced, effects on measured expressivity of these genes.”

Conclusion:
While this study’s ascertainment of the various genetic modifications underpinning the widely touted benefits of fish oil is undoubtedly an academically illustrative accomplishment, it would be safer to say that this effort does more to bolster the growing body of evidence supporting the myriad beneficial effects of fish oil than it does to revolutionize the way we view omega-3s.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Its an extremely interesting field. I read everything I can find on it…I only wish there was more to read. In my opinion, epigenetics hold the key to many of the chronic disease problems that we are currently saddled with as a society.[/quote]

Would you care to elaborate on that Modok?, e.g. mechanisms, how you think that may work, etc?[/quote]

I was gonna type something up for this, but it might require a few images to really “get” it, particularly if you aren’t too familiar with DNA structure. Of course, I can give it a shot if you want. You don’t need a PhD to get the broad strokes down, but the explanations would require some knowledge of gene jargon to understand.

Or, you can try Googling “DNA methylation cytosine” or “histone modification” to get a decent idea of two big mechanisms behind epigenetics.

Some ideas for nutrigenomics-related reading would be folate intake, much of the recent Vitamin D research, even genetic adaptations to various macronutrient intake patterns. I can post some sauce if you want.
e.g.

1.“DNA methylation, an epigenetic mechanism connecting folate to healthy embryonic development and aging”

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/37858/1/IND44288673.pdf

2.“Nutrition and Aberrant DNA Methylation Patterns in Atherosclerosis: More than Just Hyperhomocysteinemia?”

(I just had an epigenetics test in my molecular genetics course, so I’ve got a lot of that shit floating around because I tried to focus on the nutritional aspects of it)

Now, where this stuff gets REALLY cool is when we start talking about HEREDITARY modifications to DNA – i.e., how what you eat might have effects on both your DNA and your offspring’s. DEFINITELY makes you think before you shovel more shit down your gullet.

Thanks for that anonym

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Thanks for that anonym[/quote]

No worries, man. If you have any questions about the genespeak, feel free to ask. We just might get a discussion going out of it.

I’m putting a presentation together on this subject right now, so when I get all my shit lined up I’ll post links for review articles/primary literature I found interesting.

I’m still first year, but I do have some genetics courses next year that I’ll be studying for, so I’m sure we’ll talk more on the subject in the upcoming spring/summer.

@Matty, Ryan

Thanks guys!

I got tired of waiting for the tests we had been promised a few years ago to become widespread (maybe the biotech companies filing patents on genes has been inhibiting the rollout to the public?), so I decided a few months ago to see if I could put some puzzle pieces together and find out if there was some nutrigenomics info we could start applying ourselves (aside from just taking Indigo!).

@Anonym

yeah, the micronutrient customization is going to be a whole lot more complicated than the macros. I mean, I know what works for me as far as different forms, amounts, and times, but it took me 20 yrs of reading and experimenting. Although, as I’ve been incorporating the signaling idea into my food choices, it seems to kind of “smooth over” the need to be so precise in my vitamins and minerals…

The abundance in ways the DNA expression can be controlled is great.

I think the fact that what you eat/do can affect not only your genes but the genes of the next generation or two is amazing and will be quite revolutionary when more people start to realize this.

Also the fact that exercise has now been shown to act through epigenetics as well, is also very interesting. Although right now it looks like it short term i would hypothesize that cronic exercise would also cause long term epigeneitc changes that would carry much longer than the 3hrs or so that they found in some of the research.

Its as cutting edge as it can get.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
I think the fact that what you eat/do can affect not only your genes but the genes of the next generation or two is amazing and will be quite revolutionary when more people start to realize this.[/quote]

Yup. This is one of the coolest aspects of it, in my mind.

Anyone interested in learning more about this should consider researching “genomic imprinting”. It’s an epigenetic modification in which a gene becomes silenced depending on its parental origin. One of the things that makes it so interesting is the fact that these epigenetic modifications can result in radically different effects depending on the parent of origin.

For example, genomic imprinting on chromosome 15 can result in one of two diseases: Prader-Willi or Angelman syndrome. Angelman syndrome is characterized by things like learning difficulties, speech impairment, seizures and behavioral abnormalities. Prader-Willi syndrome is characterized by learning difficulties, growth retardation and compulsive eating.

Crazy part? Both diseases are caused by exactly the same defect on the same part of chromosome 15. If this error is inherited from the father, Prader-Willi syndrome occurs; if it is inherited from the mother, the result is Angelman syndrome.

Blows my mind.

[quote]Jeffrey of Troy wrote:
I have written a post at my blog about this subject: info that can be applied right now, doesn’t require having your DNA tested.

Signaling: Nutrigenomics Made Easy

http://jeffreybrauer.blogspot.com/2012/03/signaling-nutrigenomics-made-easy.html[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for that.

@hastalles: you’re welcome!

@all

kinda technical - but some people like that…also, not specifically nutrigenomics, but maybe related:

New Layer of Genetic Information Discovered